Analog Africa vs Voodoo Funk online soundclash
    afrobongoboogiebeatbattle???

everyones a winner. except the loser

Word, a DJ battle.

• FrankFrank 2,444 Posts
    Pattrick said:

Frank trademarking Voodoo Funk?
    No problem.

Contacting Analog Africa to let them know they can't use the words 'Voodoo Funk'?
    No problem.

Posting it all up on a music forum for Analog Africa and Voodoo Funk consumers to see it?
    Not a good look and completely unnecessary.

Getting the trademark and enforcing it achieved the required end surely?
    Creating and maintaining a likeable online persona sounds boring and never was my intention.

as to your last question, yes, it did exactly what I intended. Anal-og Africa had to destroy all their already manufactured shit, come up with an even more stupid title and then go through yet another costly manufacturing process:

Besides part of the necessary punishment, this thread was an inside joke between myself and a handful of friends, most of whom only lurk on here. For outsiders it helps to have some smarts and/or inside knowledge to get it... Danno obviously got it:
    Danno3000 said:
    Analog Africa is using the trade marked name of Frank's blog to sell its music. That's unlawful and ethically dubious, and perhaps most importantly, totally unnecessary. That comp would lose nothing musically were it described as something other than "voodoo funk", so I wonder about the motivation for what seems like a rather provocative decision.
    and Horseleech nailed it:
    Horseleech said:
    I think this is what some people here are missing. This wasn't a random decision on Samy's part, and if Frank had put out a Nigerian Boogie comp and called it "Analog Africa - Dancefloor Sounds of 80's Nigeria" or something, you can be sure there would be a response."

sozzy said:

I was out of line, but what with Frank did to ME years ago he deserves it. Frank is not nearly as honorable as people on here think he is. There are a lot of people in Africa that were burned by this man's greed. Despite what he says about his agents and paying them well....well that's just half of the story.
    Well, now you tickled my curiosity.
    There's hardly anything that's more delicious than basking in the warm afterglow of past misdeeds so naturally I would love to know who you are. Unfortunately I pissed off way too many douchebags in my lifetime to make a good blind guess at who you are, why you're so salty and what exactly you are hung-up about. I only hope that the fecal focus of your language in some of your other posts is not part of the trauma caused by me.

Again a stab at my digging ethics... not that it really would matter to me what anybody thinks of me in this (or any other) regard but once again: My method in obtaining African records always was to out-pay the competition. Quite some people have made a living from going down there to buy valuable records for very little money and then flip them on ebay. I eventually got to their buyers and offered them much more money then what they were ever paid before. These guys got really pissed at their former employers once I showed them ebay results and sales prices of various online stores. As a result, for quite some years now, most of the better stuff still coming out of both, Ghana and Nigeria all goes through my greedy hands before being auctioned off on ebay or sold in stores or mailorders by various retailers. So you are right, quite some people got burned, in Africa. Only that these were veteran dealers from Europe. This brings back memories of that one genius who some years back accused me for getting over on people and then in the same post complained that because of me, his record dealer in Accra now wants at least $50 for each record...

meistromoco said:
    legally, surely a trademark is not retroactive. And, at least based on the facts here, the AA release was well into production when the trademark was issued. At the end of the day, I don't really give a shit, but I thought I would point that out.
    You are wrong in several aspects. Most importantly, the trademark registration was already applied for six months before this release was announced. I had a law firm do a market research to find out if this trademark is available or already being used by somebody else, with or without registration. The answer to this was a clear "no", that's why I received the rights to this trademark. The date at which the release was publicly announced I've owned the trademark for months, there isn't really anything to argue about.

I 'm surprised to see Samy defend his record stamping even though he has given up on this after the initial wave of outrage 2 years or so back. I agree that dealer stamps from the era and sometimes even owner signatures (as long as they're not drawn with felt marker and all over the front cover) can add patina and character to a vintage record. I would generally still prefer a cover with as little damage or alterations. Today, these records are artifacts from a long gone era. Stamping or signing these records today is not adding anything but taking away from their original character. If you see yourself as adding to the history of these records by finding them today, owning them and eventually re-selling them then you have a seriously skewed view of cultural history and your own role (or lack thereof) in this regard.

Analogafrica said:
    I dont consider myself a seller, in fact if you havent yet noticed I am bad buisnessmen and I havent sold a reocrd for a very long time.
    "very long time" = 30 days

• GatorToofGatorToof 582 Posts
    The cruder, the better. Right?

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    Frank said:
    Let's see how much fun my lawyer can have with this...

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Fun thread -- reminds me of the old days.

On Stamping.
    I have a rubber stamp collection - mostly alphabets from the 40s and 50s, but a few sets of words and images. (Clon away.) So I understand a stamping impulse generally. I have also been known to emboss books that I plan on keeping in my personal library -- always on an interior page so as not to interfere with the overall condition of the book -- so I also understand this sense of marking one's things as one's own. We've all seen marks from prior owners -- DJs and individual collectors -- and at times those marks have value beyond the creative imaginings of who had the record before you. E.g. "Diplo had this record" might make a difference in value, positive or negative. Dude may think that his stamp has that positive value impact, but since he seems to have discontinued the practice, maybe he realized that was a minority view. The aesthetics of dude's stamp are not terrible, but in general, I'm on the side of keeping the record as clean as possible. And if my understanding of the Diplo situation is right, he wrote it on a blank 45 sleeve. If the sleeve is blank, stamp on!

On the original point, i.e. the Voodoo Funk TM, this beef is well-aged and ready to be cooked and served, legally or otherwise. Intellectual property and branding protection precedes the formal issuance of a registered trademark.

Soulstrut Legal out.
    JRoot

• starting to get out of control

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    herbacios tweed said:
    starting to get out of control

You got Vista? I always hated how the snipping tool on that OS defaults to putting an ugly red frame around whatever you cut.

If that's the case and you hate it too...here's a quick way to get rid of that shit: http://www.mydigitallife.info/remove-and-set-no-border-on-vista-snipping-tool-snipped-images-or-pictures/

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    herbacios tweed said:
    starting to get out of control

This guy consistently has HEAT. Multiples of many grails & raers. I'm assuming he bought up an American warehouse's stock at some point in time.

countmacula said:
    Only I can rob countries of their records and re-release them!!!

I was just thinking, has dude done anything for Africa besides gank their 80s dance tunes?

• FrankFrank 2,444 Posts
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:
    countmacula said:

I was just thinking, has dude done anything for Africa besides gank their 80s dance tunes?

Don't run your putrid meth mouth on things you don't understand...

Frank said:
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:
    countmacula said:

Don't run your putrid meth mouth on things you don't understand...

Your joke is so original. Maybe you should trademark it.

• FrankFrank 2,444 Posts
    No, I was being serious. I would never joke about such disgusting things as putrid meth mouths. Give me your Paypal ID, I'll send you some money so you can go score some of that shit and molest your sister or whatever it is your kind does to have themselves a good time...

10% of my record sales go to a charity "A.frica F.eeds Y.ankee M.ethheads"

Frank said:
    Give me you Paypal ID

Frank said:
    No, I was being serious. I would never joke about such disgusting things as putrid meth mouths. Give me you Paypal ID, I'll send you some money so you can go score some of that shit and molest your sister or whatever it is your kind does to have themselves a good time...

Dissing me about my experience with meth 5 years ago is more played out then your shameless self promotion of your dumb African comps here...which is pretty played out. Anytime I see you interact here it's about what your selling, which i think is wack as fuck.

Personally I'd rather read about some strutter wigging out on meth then some post about lawyers and a term trademarked that you didn't come up with.

• Holy shit, I so wish this thread was happening in 2005, and we'd have Dollar Bin dropping "And now... Page 10," jawns, and some "Internet! It's serious business!" shit all over this place...

• Eggplant Xanadoo said:
    Frank said:
    No, I was being serious. I would never joke about such disgusting things as putrid meth mouths. Give me you Paypal ID, I'll send you some money so you can go score some of that shit and molest your sister or whatever it is your kind does to have themselves a good time...

Dissing me about my experience with meth 5 years ago is more played out then your shameless self promotion of your dumb African comps here...which is pretty played out. Anytime I see you interact here it's about what your selling, which i think is wack as fuck.

Personally I'd rather read about some strutter wigging out on meth then some post about lawyers and a term trademarked that you didn't come up with.

The African music Frank posts about is very much appreciated here, what have YOU done for music lately? Why bash his efforts?

Africa has the best music in the world and much of it is still not very well known to us Westerners. It's a great thing people like Frank go all the way to Africa to find this wonderful music and further explore its history by meeting the artists, because most of us here either don't have the time for it or don't want to spend the effort to track all these records and people down.

Don't be hater, that's idiotic and childish. That goes for everyone here who hates on people who are able to find great fantastic records.

Instead of being a envious little shit, go out into the world and find those records yourself! If you REALLY want those records you will find them, whether you have to go to Siberia, in the middle of some South American jungle or even travel from here to Timbuktu (literally, and that might actually be a good challenge at this moment).

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    I can't think of many other collectors who are as devoted as Frank is in terms of acquiring long forgotten pieces of music, while also taking care that the musicians are honoured (via photos, stories, liners) AND paid. He does it the right way, and his comps are about the music and the stories behind them--never about him.

If you hate Frank, chances are you hate yourself.

I thought you were coming on strong in the other threads. P-lax.

Then you say ^this and totally take ten steps back.

His comps are about him importing records and competing with local music markets.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:
    Anytime I see you interact here it's about what your selling, which i think is wack as fuck.

I guess you didn't notice the new mix of previously unknown jams Frank posted earlier today.

Or the dozens of other mixes like it he's posted here before.

Or the fact that he's posted more unknown and amazing mixes than anybody else here, and has been doing it for years.

Why bother dragging this out? You don't really have a point.

Horseleech said:
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:
    Anytime I see you interact here it's about what your selling, which i think is wack as fuck.

I guess you didn't notice the new mix of previously unknown jams Frank posted earlier today.

Or the dozens of other mixes like it he's posted here before.

Or the fact that he's posted more unknown and amazing mixes than anybody else here, and has been doing it for years.

Why bother dragging this out? You don't really have a point.

Everything he posts revolves around his compilations from what I see. If I was selling comps I'd be sure to post mixes too.

All I did was ask dude if he did anything for the poverty in Africa and comes back with some meth insult?

To me that proves his douchbagness...

Da Vinylmentalist said:

Don't be hater, that's idiotic and childish.

But bringing up a 5 year old bad experience with drugs for no reason is totally mature and smart.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:
    All I did was ask dude if he did anything for the poverty in Africa and comes back with some meth insult?

Bullshit.

You started trolling out of the blue with provocative statements and then whined like you were the victim when you got the reaction you were looking for.

Horseleech said:
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:

Bullshit.

You started trolling out of the blue with provocative statements and then whined like you were the victim when you got the reaction you were looking for.

Yeah because saying "ganking 80s dance tunes" is so provocative. Really, I wanted to know what he's done for the poverty in Africa...if anything. I should of realized he'd comeback with some played out meth reference though because he seems like that type of dickhead.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Jealousy is a Motherfucker.

b/w

I've heard that in a number of countries that the amount paid for used records may surpass an average annual salary.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,106 Posts
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:

plaese to list the things you have done for the poverty in America.

ppadilha said:
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:

Served food to the homeless everyday for 4 and a half months. DJed New Years at a homeless shelter for free.

I am not roaming around America searching for unknown music so I can comp. it and profit off it by the way.

Rockadelic said:

I've heard that in a number of countries that the amount paid for used records may surpass an average annual salary.

Might have been a mistake. ;)

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:
    ppadilha said:
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:

Served food to the homeless everyday for 4 and a half months. DJed New Years at a homeless shelter for free.

EX, how can you ask the dude what he's doing about the poverty in Africa?!?

I admire what you've gone through as a former user and all, and I think the potshots people have taken about what appears to have been your lowest point is a terrible look, but asking the man what he's done for poverty in Africa is a retarded question. The man has unearthed musical gems that the entire world, including Africa, has forgotten or never heard in the first place. And in the process, he has at times tracked down musicians so they can tell their stories AND get paid/recognized. In that regard, he has, in a sense, PRESERVED parts of Africa's musical history, over-stated as that might sound.

But hey, you DJ'd at a homeless shelter for free. So Frank is the douchebag here, right?

GTFOHWTBS

P-lax,

Calling record hunting, "preserving."

Ha! Keep telling your self that. Better yet, you should get money for thinking that.