Voodoo Funk™

Comments

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Yeah, definitely. The fact that those are rare & hard to find records makes the purposeful damaging of the covers even worse.
    C'mon dude, I like my Foreigner records to be minty as f*ck.

• ost said:
    In conclusion, Analog Africa only stamped about 50 records, that were his, in the hopes that one day down the line someone would look at that and say "Oh wow, I own a record that belonged to Analog Africa". This is, for the most part a record collector forum, so the act of purposely damaging records this way is a no-no whether AA cares or not. Pointing out that said practice is not cool does not mean you are siding with Frank over AA. Frank has a legitimate right to be angry since his trade mark was taken in a foolish attempt at provocation. Either way, AA seems like an alright guy albeit surprisingly na??ve with regards to the record collector's ethics especially since he runs a record label based on rare & hard to find recordings. Frank will be back in a month to defend himself & this drama will continue to unfold.

"Oh wow, I own a record that belonged to Analog Africa"...You are missing the point and are not quoting what I have said. I dont care the slightest about the wow, what I care about is people loving the record, see the name, look me up to ask for more. I cant explain it any better.
    Frank has no right to be angry not after he has violate my rights and my contracts more then once. I might be naive about the records collectors ethics but if any here believe a stamp is a thing worth wasting sleepless nights over then life is about to teach them a very serious lesson, in fact to all of us, unfortunatly. Bless you guys, no hard feelings.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    To be clear, my comment above was directed at the ROB re-issue, which has apparently been resolved in some manner.

I also find the idea of "branding" your used records for resale troubling but certainly not to the same extent as completely redesigning the cover of an album you are re-issuing. That I find to be disrespectful and utterly self-centered.

• fuck the stamps settle it like djs

Analog Africa vs Voodoo Funk online soundclash
    afrobongoboogiebeatbattle???

everyones a winner. except the loser

• Jaggerz said:
    fuck the stamps settle it like djs

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    Jaggerz said:

actually wanna HEAR some rare african cover versions...

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    doisn said:
    Jaggerz said:

yes, that other soundclash was a while back. it's time for a new one.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    SPlDEY said:
    Fact: I draw a dick on every record sleeve that i own.

- spidey

I prefer to piss on mine...

• SIRUS said:
    doisn said:
    Jaggerz said:

yes, that other soundclash was a while back. it's time for a new one.
    +1

• PLURPLUR 28 Posts
    U Guuyz!!! U sound liek a bunch uv girlz rite now! I meen no ofens butt we r takin about BREAKZ here gays and BREAKZ blong 2 everee1 even if they com from a CRAZY country liek AFRICA!!! I donet really understan allot uv the words in this thread butt I no this much. Wen DIPLO and TEISTO drop BIG BIG BRWAKZ from all over THA WORLD they no that thos BREAKZ belongs to everee1!!!!! I tough may b itz different in countries liek Europ but than I remembered thats ware TIESTO is from 2!!! So really I dunno y u alll r so bothering about tihs wen u dontt own THA BREAKZ n also neether do u!

• vintageinfants said:

holy shit that video. Rodigan breaks the third wall around 8:15.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    The crusted bean dip on my Stark Reailty LP does remind of a simpler time. Is that kind of the same?

• the beauty is on the vinyl dudes

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    amphibious said:
    the beauty is on the vinyl dudes

Yeah, no beauty to be found on these covers...

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Somebody wrote on those. Now they're all ruined and shit.

(Seriously though, they're gorgeous.)

• of course those covers are great - and they're still great despite their condition. I just don't see the point of freaking the fuck out over a stamp.

and for the record - I think this is a great example of how these arguments get out of control, you extrapolated my brief comment about focusing on the music out to the furthest possible reaches of it's possible meaning... that there's "no beauty to be found" on the covers. Yes that's obviously exactly what I meant...

Frank has no right to be angry not after he has violate my rights and my contracts more then once. [...] Bless you guys, no hard feelings.

No hard feelings here. You seem like a reasonable guy, hopefully you can work things out with Frank directly instead.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,871 Posts
    I have a feeling this whole thread is one giant marketing shindig.

Speaking about African music. Can someone tell me what track is playing in the background of this vid...

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    Herm said:
    1. I think this Analog Africa dude is explaining himself pretty well, even if his reasoning/rationale is out of line with others' morals and/or collecting habits. He seems sincere in his explanation.

2. Are you sure you guys aren't just ganging up on him 'cause you maybe kinda "know" your Soulstrut brother Frank?? Not saying either is right or wrong, but to assume one dude is right and then come to his defense solely because you don't really "know" the other guy is kinda silly. Yeah, Frank has some hilarious comebacks and adds a lot of value (entertainment and educational) to the board but that doesn't necessarily mean he handles every affair 100% properly nor does it mean you gotta automatically cosign or have his back every time one of these issues comes up. This gang mentality is stupid. Some drama queen bullshit...

(To be clear, I am not intending this as a slight to Frank. This could apply to any fellow Strutter.)

With that said, Analog Africa..as much as it sucks to admit, you will never "win" here. Not necessarily because you're in the wrong, but because most peoples' loyalty is too strong based off established relationships. Keep doing your thing though. You really don't owe an explanation to anybody here.

P.S. You guys know damn well the double posting thing is an annoying issue that we all have to deal with. Why you gotta jump on this new dude's case when he's barely learning how to navigate this thing in attempts to defend his honor?!

Great post Herm.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    amphibious said:

Hey Horseleech,
    Got some of the ones you posted. They have nice provenance too.

• leon said:
    Horseleech said:
    amphibious said:

Hey Horseleech,
    Got some of the ones you posted. They have nice provenance too.

Thanks for the advertissement Leon. That you took the time and efforts to do this is really nice of you!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    gotdamn!! ive been a fly on the wall for this bludgeoning and really wasnt overly moved by the anti-stamp argument. i sometimes regret taking price stickers off albums twenty years ago, cause it could have reminded me of bygone shops and my past buying experiences.

BU T HOLD UP!!!!!!
    DUDE ACTUALLY STAMPED THAT BIG ASS STAMP OVER THE ARTISTS FACES?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    thats some disrespectful shit right there. gottdam

analog...stamp away if you have to, but scale down and move that shit to the side for the love of god

gotdamn!! ive been a fly on the wall for this bludgeoning and really wasnt overly moved by the anti-stamp argument. i sometimes regret taking price stickers off albums twenty years ago, cause it could have reminded me of bygone shops and my past buying experiences.

BU T HOLD UP!!!!!!

analog...stamp away if you have to, but scale down and move that shit to the side for the love of god

• tripledouble said:

BU T HOLD UP!!!!!!

You really believe I would stamp my records like this?

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    haha, obvious forgeries. All those stamped records have the exact same blemishes as the ones Horseleech poasted. Dudes need to chill out already.

sheiiiiit, im just a casual observer from the outside looking in.
    i dont really care too much about all this record colonialism and dont know where analog's stamps usually go.

i definitely am relieved that those were forgeries. thank heavens
    carry on!

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Analogafrica said:
    tripledouble said:

BU T HOLD UP!!!!!!

You really believe I would stamp my records like this?

Brings up a good point...since I've been such an opinionated shit head about this whole thing...it might help to see an actual picture of one of these records with a stamp on it.

You got any pics?

• I've won at least one record from dude on ebay and the record was not stamped. Or if it was, I did not notice it (but I think I would have). It did, however, come with an Analog Africa sticker.

Also, for what it is worth (prob not much), Herm summed up my feelings on this thread pretty well. I will admit this has been somewhat entertaining though. Although airing personal beefs is never a good look.

All that aside -- legally, surely a trademark is not retroactive. And, at least based on the facts here, the AA release was well into production when the trademark was issued. At the end of the day, I don't really give a shit, but I thought I would point that out.