Voodoo Funk™

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Analogafrica said:
    Can someone explain to me how to erase a post please?

/thread

• ppadilhappadilha 2,094 Posts
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provenance

I think you're using a very loose interpretation of "provenance" when you put your stamp on a used record. You'll probably argue that well, people use markings on old books to trace its history and that's what you're doing, stamping yourself onto the history of every record that passes through your hands.

The first mistake you make is to think that this is acceptable to collectors. Clearly it is not. You're not adding value or authenticity to the record. The other mistake is to think you're adding history to the record. It's one thing to buy a used record that has a stamp that was put on it at the time it was manufactured and sold, it's something else completely to have a stamp added to it 30 or 40 years after the fact. I have lots of records with stickers from a store or notes from the previous owner - markings pointing out their favorite tracks, or a dedication from the person who gave it to them. Sometimes they're cute, most of the time I wish they weren't there. The scribbles can tell a personal story, while a stamp or sticker can let you know where the record was originally sold, which can be interesting if it's a hard to find record that was sold at an unusual location. But all your stamp says is that at some point the record passed through your hands in Germany, because you're just a record dealer. You yourself said you don't own these records. You're not a part of that object's history. If I bought Benjamin Franklin's copy of Plato's Republic it would be cool to see his hand-written scribbles on it, but it would pretty shitty to see a stamp from every auction house the book went through. I don't need an African record to look like a well-traveled passport, they're usually beat-up enough as it is.

if you have such a pressing need to put your name on everything, do the thing with the stickers. Slip them into the sleeve and let the owner decided what to do with it.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    a copy of an original is not an original, nor will it ever be an original

button said:
    a copy of an original is not an original, nor will it ever be an original

thank you wise one, because obviously everyone is up in arms about him stamping his name on his reissues.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    I was just trying to bring Plato into the conversation

• Wtf is up with stamping rare records? Please don't defile them! If you can't help yourself and necessarily have to put your mark on it use a sticker at least pleez...

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    1. I think this Analog Africa dude is explaining himself pretty well, even if his reasoning/rationale is out of line with others' morals and/or collecting habits. He seems sincere in his explanation.

2. Are you sure you guys aren't just ganging up on him 'cause you maybe kinda "know" your Soulstrut brother Frank?? Not saying either is right or wrong, but to assume one dude is right and then come to his defense solely because you don't really "know" the other guy is kinda silly. Yeah, Frank has some hilarious comebacks and adds a lot of value (entertainment and educational) to the board but that doesn't necessarily mean he handles every affair 100% properly nor does it mean you gotta automatically cosign or have his back every time one of these issues comes up. This gang mentality is stupid. Some drama queen bullshit...

(To be clear, I am not intending this as a slight to Frank. This could apply to any fellow Strutter.)

With that said, Analog Africa..as much as it sucks to admit, you will never "win" here. Not necessarily because you're in the wrong, but because most peoples' loyalty is too strong based off established relationships. Keep doing your thing though. You really don't owe an explanation to anybody here.

P.S. You guys know damn well the double posting thing is an annoying issue that we all have to deal with. Why you gotta jump on this new dude's case when he's barely learning how to navigate this thing in attempts to defend his honor?!

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Herm said:
    2. Are you sure you guys aren't just ganging up on him 'cause you maybe kinda "know" your Soulstrut brother Frank??

I don't know if you remember, but this was discussed here a year or two ago all by itself and received an equally disapproving reception then. I've also seen it discussed elsewhere to pretty much universal derision, so no, I don't think Frank has anything to do with it.

Horseleech said:
    Herm said:
    2. Are you sure you guys aren't just ganging up on him 'cause you maybe kinda "know" your Soulstrut brother Frank??

I don't know if you remember, but this was discussed here a year or two ago all by itself and received an equally disapproving reception then. I've also seen it discussed elsewhere to pretty much universal derision, so no, I don't think Frank has anything to do with it.

The sticker thing or AA's business practices in general? This particular thread seems to have started from a public "calling out" by Frank.

is compassion one of the 5 stages of beef on the strut?

Herm said:
    Horseleech said:
    Herm said:

The sticker thing or AA's business practices in general? This particular thread seems to have started from a public "calling out" by Frank.

The stamping of records. I think the Frank aspect of this thread died out a few pages ago.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    This is the greatest thing to happen to soulstrut in 2013...folks from all over the world discussing records and with proper shit talking. No other thread has brought those 2 things together in a LONG time 'round these parts.

• JectWon said:
    Analogafrica said:
    Can someone explain to me how to erase a post please?

You can't...so instead, you should just calm down and stop repeatedly hitting 'submit post' like an emotional record defiler who is anxious to put his annoying mark on everything.

I am just trying to reply to everyone. You are calling me emotional after all the insults? can I recommend an optician? Where are people like you cloned I wonder? Anyway I??m out. What a waste of time

• Herm said:
    1. I think this Analog Africa dude is explaining himself pretty well, even if his reasoning/rationale is out of line with others' morals and/or collecting habits. He seems sincere in his explanation.

2. Are you sure you guys aren't just ganging up on him 'cause you maybe kinda "know" your Soulstrut brother Frank?? Not saying either is right or wrong, but to assume one dude is right and then come to his defense solely because you don't really "know" the other guy is kinda silly. Yeah, Frank has some hilarious comebacks and adds a lot of value (entertainment and educational) to the board but that doesn't necessarily mean he handles every affair 100% properly nor does it mean you gotta automatically cosign or have his back every time one of these issues comes up. This gang mentality is stupid. Some drama queen bullshit...

(To be clear, I am not intending this as a slight to Frank. This could apply to any fellow Strutter.)

With that said, Analog Africa..as much as it sucks to admit, you will never "win" here. Not necessarily because you're in the wrong, but because most peoples' loyalty is too strong based off established relationships. Keep doing your thing though. You really don't owe an explanation to anybody here.

P.S. You guys know damn well the double posting thing is an annoying issue that we all have to deal with. Why you gotta jump on this new dude's case when he's barely learning how to navigate this thing in attempts to defend his honor?!

Thanks for your message. I wasnt trying to win, I understood coming here that it was a game lost before it even started. I was trying to find out why some put the importance of a stamp above the integrity of another men. It doesnt look like I??ll find the response here.

Horseleech said:
    Herm said:
    Horseleech said:
    Herm said:

The stamping of records. I think the Frank aspect of this thread died out a few pages ago.

Don't like the stamps, don't buy the records. Easy peasy. Too many caped crusaders trying to defend the sanctity of something that really has no bearing on their livelihood.

Now I'll bow out gracefully before I further fuel the drama queen fire...

• ppadilha said:

I think you're using a very loose interpretation of "provenance" when you put your stamp on a used record. You'll probably argue that well, people use markings on old books to trace its history and that's what you're doing, stamping yourself onto the history of every record that passes through your hands.

The first mistake you make is to think that this is acceptable to collectors. Clearly it is not. You're not adding value or authenticity to the record. The other mistake is to think you're adding history to the record. It's one thing to buy a used record that has a stamp that was put on it at the time it was manufactured and sold, it's something else completely to have a stamp added to it 30 or 40 years after the fact. I have lots of records with stickers from a store or notes from the previous owner - markings pointing out their favorite tracks, or a dedication from the person who gave it to them. Sometimes they're cute, most of the time I wish they weren't there. The scribbles can tell a personal story, while a stamp or sticker can let you know where the record was originally sold, which can be interesting if it's a hard to find record that was sold at an unusual location. But all your stamp says is that at some point the record passed through your hands in Germany, because you're just a record dealer. You yourself said you don't own these records. You're not a part of that object's history. If I bought Benjamin Franklin's copy of Plato's Republic it would be cool to see his hand-written scribbles on it, but it would pretty shitty to see a stamp from every auction house the book went through. I don't need an African record to look like a well-traveled passport, they're usually beat-up enough as it is.

if you have such a pressing need to put your name on everything, do the thing with the stickers. Slip them into the sleeve and let the owner decided what to do with it.

Very cool reply, and thats the kind of stuff that can and will make me think. On the thousands of records sold in the last 10 years, maybe 50 had a stamp (and those were, believe it or not, my own) and that was enough to trigger pandemonium. Some people had the clever idea of contacted me to ask if I had another copy without stamp and in most cases I was able to help and others had decided the "much more effective" solution to come here and spread hate. I dont agree with everything you say here but since you are writting with respect its a great pleasure to reply to you. I havent never said that these records are not mine, they are. If I have insured those records is because I am the owner and if there is a fire and they are gone the only one who??ll suffer is me, no one else. If someone want to tell me that the records I have found and bought myself are not mine, that would be silly.... Additionally I am as much part of the history of this record then disques kahn (just to give an exemple) who has ordered these records in africa to distribute them in europe, I dont see the difference except that it is 30 years later. Additionaly I am not just a record dealer, the efforts to find these records are not to be underestimated, and I have done much more to hold these records then a distributer in the 70s since he was just a phone call away. I have to go through much more then just this. That said I can understand your point. Thanks

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Analogafrica said:
    ppadilha said:

Very cool reply, and thats the kind of stuff that can and will make me think. On the thousands of records sold in the last 10 years, maybe 50 had a stamp (and those were, believe it or not, my own) and that was enough to trigger pandemonium. Some people had the clever idea of contacted me to ask if I had another copy without stamp and in more cases I was able to help and other had decided the "much more effective" solution to come here and spread hate.

i can confirm this. The records I bought didn't have any stamps, thanks god.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,388 Posts
    finelikewine said:
    Analogafrica said:
    ppadilha said:

Very cool reply, and thats the kind of stuff that can and will make me think. On the thousands of records sold in the last 10 years, maybe 50 had a stamp (and those were, believe it or not, my own) and that was enough to trigger pandemonium. Some people had the clever idea of contacted me to ask if I had another copy without stamp and in more cases I was able to help and other had decided the "much more effective" solution to come here and spread hate.

i can confirm this. The records I bought didn't have any stamps, thanks god.

Oops. I missed the fact that these were personal records being stamped - I thought it a business thing.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Herm said:

Haha, I was just fucking around.

But in all honesty...there isn't really anything that can be said to justify putting a stamp on something that someone knows is essentially a rare piece of art...sure, it's theirs and they can do whatever the fuck they want with it...but if someone hops on a colletron site and tries to defend the practice of stamping records, I'm going to point and laugh at him with the others...I don't know what else that person would expect...I can only imagine that 99+% of collectors would never want a record with a stamp on it or dream of stamping it themselves.

Sure, sure...like others have said...if you don't like stamps on records don't buy from him...simple...but you could also just as simply say "If you don't like getting laughed at and made fun of, then CLEARLY don't hop on to SoulStrut and attempt to defend the practice of stamping rare records"...one seems just as easy to understand as the other, in my opinion.

To come here and try to justify that shit is futile....regardless of the beef between dude and Frank.

• JectWon said:
    Herm said:

But in all honesty...there isn't really anything that can be said to justify putting a stamp on something that someone knows is essentially a rare piece of art...sure, it's theirs and they can do whatever the fuck they want with it...but if someone hops on a colletron site and tries to defend the practice of stamping records, I'm going to point and laugh at him with the others...I don't know what else that person would expect...I can only imagine that 99+% of collectors would never want a record with a stamp on it or dream of stamping it themselves.

Sure, sure...like others have said...if you don't like stamps on records don't buy from him...simple...but you could also just as simply say "If you don't like getting laughed at and made fun of, then CLEARLY don't hop on to SoulStrut and attempt to defend the practice of stamping rare records"...one seems just as easy to understand as the other, in my opinion.

To come here and try to justify that shit is futile....regardless of the beef between dude and Frank.

Its not the point, thats not why I am here in the first place. You (and some others) seems to intentionnally avoing the other side of the story but since when is something you disagree with a justification to insult someone in an open forum?

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Analogafrica said:
    JectWon said:
    Herm said:

Its not the point, thats not why I am here in the first place. You (and some others) seems to intentionnaly avoid that part of the story but since when is something you disagree with a justification to insult someone on a open forum, someone that except for that, hasnt done any harm, but in the contrary is owned by someone making efforts to release the music you love? Additionaly without my record sells, my label would exist, those sells makes it possible in the first place.

The other part has nothing to do with me...I have no opinion on it.

I disagree with people putting stamps on records...it's really fucking simple...like you said, you can do what you want with the records...bravo...fuck off.

• JectWon said:
    Analogafrica said:
    JectWon said:
    Herm said:

Its not the point, thats not why I am here in the first place. You (and some others) seems to intentionnaly avoid that part of the story but since when is something you disagree with a justification to insult someone on a open forum, someone that except for that, hasnt done any harm, but in the contrary is owned by someone making efforts to release the music you love? Additionaly without my record sells, my label would exist, those sells makes it possible in the first place.

I disagree with people putting stamps on records...it's really fucking simple...like you said, you can do what you want with the records...bravo...fuck off.

I though you wanted me to take your post seriously, obviously not.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Analogafrica said:
    JectWon said:
    Analogafrica said:
    JectWon said:
    Herm said:

I though you wanted me to take your post seriously, obviously not.

Samy, just a well-meant advice: Don't let this thread go to your heart. You made your point abundantly clear and that should be enough. Get the fuck out of here and don't get yourself provoked any longer. Nothing good's gonna come of that.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    In conclusion, Analog Africa only stamped about 50 records, that were his, in the hopes that one day down the line someone would look at that and say "Oh wow, I own a record that belonged to Analog Africa". This is, for the most part a record collector forum, so the act of purposely damaging records this way is a no-no whether AA cares or not. Pointing out that said practice is not cool does not mean you are siding with Frank over AA. Frank has a legitimate right to be angry since his trade mark was taken in a foolish attempt at provocation. Either way, AA seems like an alright guy albeit surprisingly na??ve with regards to the record collector's ethics especially since he runs a record label based on rare & hard to find recordings. Frank will be back in a month to defend himself & this drama will continue to unfold.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,369 Posts
    Fact: I draw a dick on every record sleeve that i own.

- spidey

Diplo once wrote "Diplo once owned this" on the sleeve of a record he traded me back in the day. Granted, it was a blank 45 sleeve, but still... I think it's pretty effing cool that I own that now.

I will admit thought that I'm not nearly as anal as most you collectros are. The music is what matters to me more than anything else.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,871 Posts

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Herm said:
    Diplo once wrote "Diplo once owned this" on the sleeve of a record he traded me back in the day. Granted, it was a blank 45 sleeve, but still... I think it's pretty effing cool that I own that now.

I will admit thought that I'm not nearly as anal as most you collectros are. The music is what matters to me more than anything else.

As someone who buys a lot of disco, boogie, & house, the most common thing is to find records with stamps from Bars, Clubs, or dj's. It's annoying but I understand the practical reasoning behind doing this at the time. I own many records stamped by Robert Ouimet, a well known dj here back in the days, but I don't see the added value in it. The issue with AA was not the stamp in itself but the motivation behind adding it which in his case was publicity. So it didn't matter whether the stamp was 1 mm or 10 cm in diameter.

ost said:
    Herm said:

As someone who buys a lot of disco, boogie, & house, the most common thing is to find records with stamps from Bars, Clubs, or dj's. It's annoying but I understand the practical reasoning behind doing this at the time. I own many records stamped by Robert Ouimet, a well known dj here back in the days, but I don't see the added value in it. The issue with AA was not the stamp in itself but the motivation behind adding it which in his case was publicity. So it didn't matter whether the stamp was 1 mm or 10 cm in diameter.

The difference to me is the nature of the records that were stamped. Many of them barely exist with only a few known copies and I regard them as precious artifacts from an amazing scene that was close to being forgotten forever. I could care less if somebody stamps a Foreigner record or whatever.

To me this is like an art gallery putting a stamp on a Picasso print. Maybe I'll never own said print, but the defacement would still bother me.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    dj's stamping their records is way different than collector's stamping their records.