Voodoo Funk™

Comments

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,847 Posts
    sozzy said:
    Note to The_hook_up:

Please stop now. Go die please. Your semi-tard southern persona gruels me. I prefer my southerners to be conservative and hard working. You sound lazy and liberal. You are stupid and need to shit blood now. Go shit your blood stools on harvery canals face. He can take his shit splattered and blood stooled face to the welfare office. He can buy birthday cakes, coke and fried chickens and blast blood stools at you.

Tbnxbai

This is awesome. It's a sign that the strut is in good health when people register just to rant. Flame on, angry person, flame on.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    You are apologizing for a guy who makes his logo larger than the artist's name and STAMPS rare OG records he sells on eBay because only he is "entitled" to unstamped/unruined artwork because he found it. That is sad IMO.

Really? Stamping up an OG record? That's the about the lamest thing I've ever heard. If true, I hope someone keys his car.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Analogafrica said:
    Time will not stand still and in 36 years from now a record sold in 2013 will be as vintage as a record from 1977 is today.

Right.

And in 36 years people will be celebrating you because you defiled some rare records.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,028 Posts
    Danno3000 said:
    sozzy said:
    Note to The_hook_up:

Please stop now. Go die please. Your semi-tard southern persona gruels me. I prefer my southerners to be conservative and hard working. You sound lazy and liberal. You are stupid and need to shit blood now. Go shit your blood stools on harvery canals face. He can take his shit splattered and blood stooled face to the welfare office. He can buy birthday cakes, coke and fried chickens and blast blood stools at you.

Tbnxbai

This is awesome. It's a sign that the strut is in good health when people register just to rant. Flame on, angry person, flame on.

Kaiser Sozzy

:;breakface::

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:

"you want a clean label? Drag your ass to West Africa to get it?"

Make it happen.

• Danno3000 said:
    Analogafrica said:
    p_gunn said:
    ost said:
    Stamping records in an attempt to get publicity is a totally shitty move. If you really feel the need to do so, place the stamp on the inside or just print up some stickers that way the buyer can choose whether or not he wants to keep it.
    Are these stamps being added before or after the record is sold?

Seriously. And to justify it by acting like your stamp in 2013 is the same as the stamp from some distributor in West Africa in 1977 is even worse...

What does this mean? what exactly do you know about vintage african music distribution?
    Disques Kahn, the exemple I took is not from west africa, its French, from Marseillle, Discafric, another major one, is also from France, both had a tradition of marking their records. The geographical location of a distributor has nothing to do with any of this except that we are all dealing with african records. If I get influenced by the senegalese way of doing, what difference does it make if I??m a distributer in island?
    Time will not stand still and in 36 years from now a record sold in 2013 will be as vintage as a record from 1977 is today.

For the same reasons that goofs here extol the prestige of the OG--"buy the OG if you're a baller"--people who buy original pressings of records want a copy of the record as close to mint as possible. This we can all accept as true: the premise of grading records is that the more mint the record, the more desirable it is. As a rule, we would all choose the mint record (and jacket) over the scratched record (and defaced jacket).

When stamping an original jacket, you take the jacket one step further away from mint. Though we wall want the cleanest jacket, you're intentionally making it less clean. "Less clean" is a generous description: many collectors would consider your stamp a defacement.

Why do you make your records less clean? From your posts, I gather it's because you think its more important to advertise your label and to situate yourself within some tradition of record distributors than to preserve the integrity of the jacket. You do this knowing that a major element of the game is seeking the cleanest record.

In sum, stamping is a seriously dick move. For a guy who says he acts out of love for the music, this is awfully egotistical and ill-conceived.

I liked the way you saw things but then you scewit up at the end with the dick move.
    What you are writing makes a lots of sense. I dont consider myself a seller, in fact if you havent yet noticed I am bad buisnessmen and I havent sold a reocrd for a very long time.
    "you think its more important to advertise your label and to situate yourself within some tradition of record distributors than to preserve the integrity of the jacket" Is is the closest I could find that make sense. and you are correct I rather sell a NM copy a little cheaper but have the name of my label travel, then to sell a mint copy. Not sure if thats a crime but since I am in a collector forum.....I myself I am not a collector and not a purist in the slighest.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Analogafrica said:

Right.

And in 36 years people will be celebrating you because you defiled some rare records.

ding ding ding

exactly...

if you deal in rare records, obv you know some of the appeal is that they are relics of a certain time and place...

and to act like your stamp in 2013 is the same as the stamp the dealer put on it in the 70's when the record had just rolled off the presses is totally disingenuous... look into your soul and tell me with a straight face that if you had to choose between two copies of a rare 70's record, one totally clean, the other with "funkyafricanrecords.com" stamped on it, that there would ever be a question which you'd choose...

it's an ego move, and it's about putting yourself above the original records, and it's fucking vile...

• Danno3000 said:
    Although on further reflection, I have to acknowledge the impressive chutzpah that makes you think you should deliberately add to the patina of your records. The idea that in ten years people are going to be all "oh snap, I just scored a record that Analog Africa once sold on ebay, suuuuweeet" is some choice megalomaniacal thinking.

The classy thing to do would be to print Analog Africa rolling papers or the like and add them to your package. I can easily think of a dozen smart ways of branding the fuck out of your ebay sales that don't involve stamping records. But they all require a little humility.

You are missing the point. It doesnt need to be years, it can be tomorrow, A DJ who play out the record will take them from place to place, people will see them, hold them, some will remember my logo, other not.
    Its a way of advertissing and it has been done in Africa, in India and probably in all the other continents for decates as well.
    I have seen Ivorian records in Benin, Papa Disco sticker on, being shipped to france and then sold to Japan, some others to the US.
    How many people have seen that Papa Disco sticker you reckon? There is probably not a single african record collector who doesnt remember seing a papa disco sticker. You can say what you want, It works and there is no reason why it shouldnt. I am not saying I am Papa Disco, not at all, but the principals are the same.

• Horseleech said:
    Analogafrica said:

Right.

yes exactly, it took you only two years to understand that. Very good. Bye

• p_gunn said:
    Horseleech said:
    Analogafrica said:

Right.

ding ding ding

exactly...

if you deal in rare records, obv you know some of the appeal is that they are relics of a certain time and place...

and to act like your stamp in 2013 is the same as the stamp the dealer put on it in the 70's when the record had just rolled off the presses is totally disingenuous... look into your soul and tell me with a straight face that if you had to choose between two copies of a rare 70's record, one totally clean, the other with "funkyafricanrecords.com" stamped on it, that there would ever be a question which you'd choose...

it's an ego move, and it's about putting yourself above the original records, and it's fucking vile...

I am looking at you with a straight face and I am telling to you in all honesty: If its an interesting stamp and surely if its an african one, I would probably go for that and I mean it very much. I have written in my first message, that I personally like the stickers and stamps on the african records to me it add value and I have also said why. You are a purist and you dont seems to understand that others, in this case me, have other ways of seing things.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    sozzy said:
    Please to not bruin ass in publix man. Get back to feasting on rancid colon discharge.

Oh relax, dude...it's always funny when a guy calls someone's intellect out on some "read a book" shit and writes like a cave man while doing it. I enjoy pointing and laughing at hypocrisy.

You sound like a spam bot when you get butt hurt. Flame wars aren't my thing, so I'll be the first to tell you that you win, you win, you are awesome...I'm not worthy. You're super tough...etc. etc.

Good day, sir.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    sozzy said:
    Note to The_hook_up:

Tbnxbai

Oh I have triggered a rage erection...a hate boner. That is great. I am beginning to think you are a certain dipshit that used to post under a different name. You were a chickenshit then and you are still a chickenshit. Does that hate for me, a happily married person with records, friends, multiple radio shows, DJ gigs fulfill you? If it does, I'm happy to be your target. I aim to make people happy. Even sycophantic dipshits like yourself deserve to be happy. Love ya!

Analogafrica said:
    p_gunn said:
    Horseleech said:
    Analogafrica said:

Right.

ding ding ding

exactly...

I am looking at you with a straight face and I am telling to you in all honesty: If its an interesting stamp and surely if its an african one, I would probably go for that and I mean it very much. I have written in my first message, that I personally like the stickers and stamps on the african records to me it add value and I have also said why. You are a purist and you dont seems to understand that others, in this case me, have other ways of seing things.

lol, how nice of you to impose your particular preferences on everyone who buys a record from you...

• p_gunn said:
    Analogafrica said:
    p_gunn said:
    Horseleech said:
    Analogafrica said:

Right.

ding ding ding

exactly...

lol, how nice of you to impose your particular preferences on everyone who buys a record from you...

It might not be your choice of preference, but you have to live with the fact that it is my records an as such it is my decission. It is obviously in a form dedicated to collectors not a popular one but the point and the reason why I entered the discussion in the first place is: why doest that justifies calling someone names? Is that fair in your opinion?

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    Analogafrica said:
    the fact that it is my records

WRONG

• HOLLAFAME said:
    Analogafrica said:

WRONG

I understand. Could you call the owner and ask him to come here and collect his property?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,391 Posts
    Go the sticker route if you insist on branding the LPs. You might as well draw glasses and moustaches on the cover. Does it really need to be a permanent stamp?

Flomotion said:
    Go the sticker route if you insist on branding the LPs. You might as well draw glasses and moustaches on the cover. Does it really need to be a permanent stamp?

YES, it does...don't you know finding a record and taking it into your possession is EXACTLY the same, if not more important, than creating the music AND the accompanying artwork? Duh...

• HOLLAFAME said:
    Analogafrica said:

WRONG
    So, I am saying the record is mine, that??s wrong, and that people are calling me names because I have stamped a record, thats right? Or are you saying both is wrong? Because to me it seems that many here are not self reflected and dont seem to see that what they are doing, the way they are reacting to something they disagree with, is worse then the actual reason. I am not insulting anyone, I am just expressing my view about this, with respect, and in return I am receiving second rate responses, with no reflection, with no facts. And besides, many here are writting from the States, and are worried about a stamp on a record. You have way bigger and more serious issues then this, even more so since 2 days. Its a stamp on a record, it is not an issue someone should loose sleepless nights about. Dont you think most of the people here, mad about a stamp, will, in years to come, growing older, think how silly all this was? Maybe I will think how silly I was to have stamped a record, might be, but have I insulted anyone? That the issue here. I have given an explanation about the ROB cover, since then nobody has talk about that issue anymore, and it is nice that it is settled, at least I hope. But dont you wonder why no one has come forward to apologies for calling my label names in an open forum? The same guys have left the Rob issue aside and are now jumping on the "stamp wagon". Is that caracter? is that how a men behaves?

• Can someone explain to me how to erase a post please?

Analogafrica said:
    HOLLAFAME said:
    Analogafrica said:

WRONG
    So that I am saying the record is mine is wrong, and that people are calling me names because I have stamped a record are right? Or are you saying both is wrong? Because to me it seeems that many here are not self reflected and dont seem to see that what they are doing, the way they are reacting to something they disagree with is wose then the actual reason. I am not insulting anyone, I am just expressing my view about this, with respect and in return I am receiving second rate responses, with no reflection, with no facts. And besides, many here are writting for the States, and are worried about a stamp on a record. You have way bigger and more serious issues then this, even more so since 2 days. Its a stamp on a record, it is not an issue someone should loose sleepless nights about. Dont you think most of the people here, mad about a stamp, will, in years to come, growing older, think how silly all this was?

no, i'm pretty sure in the years to come, esp as the 70's get more and more distant, that your choice of putting your stamp on a record in 2013 will seem just as stupid...

obv you've made up your mind, that whatever value these records have as artifacts of the time and place they come from is secondary to your need to plant your flag and claim them...

ok, can't talk any more about this, apparently i have debt ceilings, school shootings, and class warfare to occupy my time with...

• p_gunn said:
    Analogafrica said:
    HOLLAFAME said:
    Analogafrica said:

WRONG
    So that I am saying the record is mine is wrong, and that people are calling me names because I have stamped a record are right? Or are you saying both is wrong? Because to me it seeems that many here are not self reflected and dont seem to see that what they are doing, the way they are reacting to something they disagree with is wose then the actual reason. I am not insulting anyone, I am just expressing my view about this, with respect and in return I am receiving second rate responses, with no reflection, with no facts. And besides, many here are writting for the States, and are worried about a stamp on a record. You have way bigger and more serious issues then this, even more so since 2 days. Its a stamp on a record, it is not an issue someone should loose sleepless nights about. Dont you think most of the people here, mad about a stamp, will, in years to come, growing older, think how silly all this was?

no, i'm pretty sure in the years to come, esp as the 70's get more and more distant, that your choice of putting your stamp on a record in 2013 will seem just as stupid...

obv you've made up your mind, that whatever value these records have as artifacts of the time and place they come from is secondary to your need to plant your flag and claim them...

ok, can't talk any more about this, apparently i have debt ceilings, school shootings, and class warfare to occupy my time with...

I have no problem with having a discussion with you, open, friendly. respectful. But the attitude of some has been a different one. I am not the wisest, to be here and discussing this issue is a proof of that, but what is clear to me is few have not understood that If you want your point of view to have any kind of impact, the most important is the tone, the way you say it and they way you get your message across. Thats my point. Bless

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,391 Posts
    Analogafrica said:
    HOLLAFAME said:
    Analogafrica said:

WRONG

Nah. This thread has had some terrible looks but pretty much everyone feels the cover thing is permanently defacing something you should be preserving.

I am going to take AA's example and run with it. When I play a Jackie Brenston 45 on Memphis radio it has exactly the same impact, if not more of an impact as when Dewey Phillips did it in 1954. That is quite a self-esteem booster to think that way! Thanks!

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Analogafrica said:
    Can someone explain to me how to erase a post please?

You can't...so instead, you should just calm down and stop repeatedly hitting 'submit post' like an emotional record defiler who is anxious to put his annoying mark on everything.