Voodoo Funk™

Comments

• The_Hook_Up said:
    ppadilha said:
    Doesn't one have to license the cover artwork when doing a reissue or something like that? Perhaps Mr Analog Africa couldn't be arsed to do that part. And since this is the part where we complain about his releases, the liner notes on the comps could really use an english speaking editor. Can't complain about the music though.

I illegally downloaded the Rob album, and owned the original artwork (empty cover found at a library sale related)...got the music and had (since traded) the original artwork...no money for AA and didn't have to look at shitty artwork...win/win!

There's some stupid shit being said in this thread incl. the above.

Why would you be proud of having illegally downloaded anything which as I understand it was licensed from the rights holder?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    dreskieboogie said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    ppadilha said:
    Doesn't one have to license the cover artwork when doing a reissue or something like that? Perhaps Mr Analog Africa couldn't be arsed to do that part. And since this is the part where we complain about his releases, the liner notes on the comps could really use an english speaking editor. Can't complain about the music though.

I illegally downloaded the Rob album, and owned the original artwork (empty cover found at a library sale related)...got the music and had (since traded) the original artwork...no money for AA and didn't have to look at shitty artwork...win/win!

Why would you be proud of having illegally downloaded anything which as I understand it was licensed from the rights holder?

Just being honest about my actions, unlike some in this thread. Also, it was a vinyl rip from an OG. I know how licenses work...most of the money I would have paid for a reissue would have went to distributors and the cost to manufacture the actual product. If you have an address I would be more than happy to send a dollar or two to the original creator of the music, which is more than they would have seen from me purchasing a copy...

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    dreskieboogie said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    ppadilha said:

Yeah pretty lame. Analog Africa strikes me as as much a labor of love as its competitors, if not more. But way to stick it to the man i guess? The way I see it, since they mainly issue comps, they were probably just trying to keep the visual theme of the label consistent, instead of having this one sore thumb sticking out in the catalog.

Also, For what its worth: LOL at dudes buying relatively worthless reissue LPs and thinking they're "entitled" to having OG cover art, just to fulfill their fantasy of being some kind of baller. If you want OG cover art so bad, quit being a bunch of busters and spring for an original.

LOL at dudes saying that one should do the right thing, financially support a "labor of love" but stop feeling "entitled" to get original artwork, and settle for some person's "idea" of "acceptable" art because you aren't as "Baller" as an OG owner. My post was "sad"? You are apologizing for a guy who makes his logo larger than the artist's name and STAMPS rare OG records he sells on eBay because only he is "entitled" to unstamped/unruined artwork because he found it. That is sad IMO.

button said:
    dreskieboogie said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    ppadilha said:

Yeah pretty lame. Analog Africa strikes me as as much a labor of love as its competitors, if not more. But way to stick it to the man i guess? The way I see it, since they mainly issue comps, they were probably just trying to keep the visual theme of the label consistent, instead of having this one sore thumb sticking out in the catalog.

Also, For what its worth: LOL at dudes buying relatively worthless reissue LPs and thinking they're "entitled" to having OG cover art, just to fulfill their fantasy of being some kind of baller. If you want OG cover art so bad, quit being a bunch of busters and spring for an original.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    button said:

Yeah, we'd all be better off with a shitty redesign than the amazing OG art.

Great point.

FWIW...I happily purchased Academy/VF reissues because...full faith that they are legit, OG format offered (45 releases of tunes that were originally on 45) and artwork was kept original ( although I was puzzled why the extraneous "L" was omitted from the Psychedelic Al(l)iens logo...but at least some graphic design major didn't redo the art as if it was a retro looking t-shirt like AA. Sure, I am not a "baller" and cannot afford to purchase records in which only one or two copies are known to exist. I suppose I am not worthy of listening to that music because I don't own an OG...thank for clearing that up and reminding me of the ethics if supporting a "labor of love".

The_Hook_Up said:
    ( although I was puzzled why the extraneous "L" was omitted from the Psychedelic Al(l)iens logo

A fair question.

This was a bit of quandary for us. The original design did not have the second "L" and the band didn't know about it until the record came out and weren't happy about it. Apparently somebody at Polydor got cold feet about the word "Alien" (so controversial!) and had that added at the last second in an odd bid to soften the impact a bit. In this instance it was an example of having the band's wishes honored and restoring the original intention.

The original covers on the first Marijata were misprinted to have the back cover upside down. After a brief debate as to whether to do it this way on the re, we decided to correct it.

Honestly, I can see both sides to the argument here, but we did what we thought was best. Sometimes I get asked what I actually do as far as 'producing' a reissue goes, and the answer is that I agonize over a hundred little decisions like this.

• I Will Not Pay For Ugly Cover Art???

First of all, ugly is totally subjective. You could make a case that both covers are ugly. So really we're just getting all worked up because of the fact that it's not authentically ugly. Because its less about the music and moreso the fact that we all want to pretend we're record ballers.

Second, I mainly just dont' get why this label is being treated like gum stuck under Aaron Fuch's boots just because they changed a reissue cover to look more consistent with their other releases. This argument simply doesnt matter. You are not buying the original editon, you are buying a reissue. It is something else. Would it have been cooler with the original photo? Sure, maybe, but who cares? Reissues are basically glorified MP3s that you can touch and hold and file in your expidit. It just doesn't matter. You want the OG cover, do what it takes.

Third, Its funny that Hook Up is getting all sweaty over the redesign, when apparently he had an original cover and traded it away. All you had to do, dude, was buy the reissue and chuck the cover you didn't like and you'd have the coolest reish on the block.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    it's not about appearing like a baller
    a reproduction of an artifact should be as close to the original as possible especially for art
    if you redesign the label (add your loo) it's not as bad
    why would you argue against the definition of a repro

"dude".....I still have never recieved an explanation or an overly sycophantic reason from you in why he would stamp/deface original LPs? Perhaps he has taken "OG owner" to the next level and wants ANYONE who owns a record he previously owned to know they are merely the owner of sloppy seconds...I guess that puts a lump in your pants considering you are ALL about OG "ballers".

Also, I traded my cover for OG and unplayed copies of Poly-Ritmo and El Rego sides...no reason to put a shit reissue in my beautiful original sleeve. In fact Egon now owns MY sloppy seconds...perhaps I should have stamped it, you know to be a "baller".

button said:
    First of all, ugly is totally subjective. You could make a case that both covers are ugly. So really we're just getting all worked up because of the fact that it's not authentically ugly. Because its less about the music and moreso the fact that we all want to pretend we're record ballers.

Second, I mainly just dont' get why this label is being treated like gum stuck under Aaron Fuch's boots just because they changed a reissue cover to look more consistent with their other releases. This argument simply doesnt matter. You are not buying the original editon, you are buying a reissue. It is something else. Would it have been cooler with the original photo? Sure, maybe, but who cares? Reissues are basically glorified MP3s that you can touch and hold and file in your expidit. It just doesn't matter. You want the OG cover, do what it takes.

Third, Its funny that Hook Up is getting all sweaty over the redesign, when apparently he had an original cover and traded it away. All you had to do, dude, was buy the reissue and chuck the cover you didn't like and you'd have the coolest reish on the block.

• you guys are really fired up about this

pcmr said:
    it's not about appearing like a baller
    a reproduction of an artifact should be as close to the original as possible ... why would you argue against the definition of a repro

But Its not a repro. Thats not the term any crate digger uses. The term is "reissue". They're not the same thing. If you go to B&N and get a copy of like, To Kill a Mockingbird. Its probably gonna have a different cover than the OG 1st edition. In fact I can gaurantee that it will, because its not meant to be a reproduction.

I don't know anything about the whole OG stamping thing. If its what it sounds like it is, then its a pretty stupid thing to do on his part. I dunno... what dude does in his private sales doesn't really have anything to do with the releases his label puts out. I guess its safe to say that both of our leading boutique german-based afrofunk reissue labels are guilty of some self-aggrandizing. At the end of the day both put out quality products so I dont' get why V**d** F**k can never be spoken ill of and the other we can openly brag about stealing from due to our superior aesthetic philosphies.

• To whom it might concern.

The reason why I didnt select the original cover is because the ROB release was not suppose to be the original LP, it was innitially going to be a compilation made out of Rob??s first two albums. My belief at the time was that Hippo Record had licensed one song from the first ROB LP and as such I could not release it.

The graphics were send to the manufacturer, the test pressing had arrived. Then a week before we were going to start manufacturing I received a message from Hippo Records telling me that there is a missunderstanding and that in fact they had license a different song.
    (see below)

The presstext was already out, the release date set and published, any other major delay would have just disrupted the release date by at least 2 weeks (something that doesnt go well with distributers) , something I wanted to avoid. My efforts were now directed towards licensing the "new" song from Essiebons in Ghana and to have the mastercut newly cut. I did not want to waste much more time and we just changed the titel at the back of the cover and on the label sticker. To go as far as insulting another men because you disagree with his design is troubling and certainly doesnt speak in your favour.

As for the ebay sells. If you dont like stamps on the records just dont buy them.
    If you believe spreading hate on a forum will change a thing you are mistaken. If you want your words to have an impact try kindness, you will see, it works with me at least. The records I am selling are mine and if I wish to stamp them, its my buisness.
    But let me explain why I do that and again if you disagree no need to call me names:
    I have bought many records in Africa which had stamps and stickers, in fact to me a record with a stamp has even more value because it hides a history. It can be places, dates, name of the owner, of the distributer, address of the shop, address of the distributer, it has more then once led to stocks of records. I can go as far as to say that if some record have been found and are now for sell is because someone had the idea of stamping his logo or his address on the cover of the record in the first place, bad?
    I am stamping my records for advertising purpose and hoping that they will lead back to me at some point, being tomorrow or in 10 years. it doesnt matter. Additionally I have scanned and used many stamps to adorn my booklets, what I am trying to say is that these stamps have been of great use. You are mad because I??ve stamped "your" mint cover? If thats the main issue in your life, pack your bag, buy a ticket to Addis Ababa and find it yourself. These records have been manufactured in very difficult countries, the beautiful music has been made, more often then not, by people who have suffered greatly in their lives, Africa is a very tough place, probably the toughest and what do you do? Two years have passed and you are still crying over a stamp on a record.

To the gentlemen that was very open about downloading the Rob Album. Such honesty commands respect although your thinking is shallow.
    No money for AA means I can not license, I can not master, I can not design, I can not manufacture, I can not exist. To legally download the whole album cost about the same as a coffe at your local starbucks. Too much asked? No money for AA, means no money for Essiebons and no money for Rob. And if anyone here has doubt about my licensing methods, feel free to ask yourself: robroy20@hotmail.com
    (Rob Reindorf)
    Attached files

Analogafrica said:
    To whom it might concern.

The reason why I didnt select the original cover is because the ROB release was not suppose to be the original LP, it was innitially going to be a compilation made out of Rob??s first two albums. My belief at the time was that Hippo Record had licensed one song from the first ROB LP and as such I could not release it.

The graphics were send to the manufacturer, the test pressing had arrived. Then a week before we were going to start manufacturing I received a message from Hippo Records telling me that there is a missunderstanding and that in fact they had license a different song.
    (see below)

The presstext was already out, the release date set and published, any other major delay would have just disrupted the release date by at least 2 weeks (something that doesnt go well with distributers) , something I wanted to avoid. My efforts were now directed towards licensing the "new" song from Essiebons in Ghana and to have the mastercut newly cut. I did not want to waste much more time and we just changed the titel at the back of the cover and on the label sticker. To go as far as insulting another men because you disagree with his design is troubling and certainly doesnt speak in your favour.

As for the ebay sells. If you dont like stamps on the records just dont buy them.
    If you believe spreading hate on a forum will change a thing you are mistaken. If you want your words to have an impact try kindness, you will see, it works with me at least. The records I am selling are mine and if I wish to stamp them, its my buisness.
    But let me explain why I do that and again if you disagree no need to call me names:
    I have bought many records in Africa which had stamps and stickers, in fact to me a record with a stamp has even more value because it hides a history. It can be places, dates, name of the owner, of the distributer, address of the shop, address of the distributer, it has more then once led to stocks of records. I can go as far as to say that if some record have been found and are now for sell is because someone had the idea of stamping his logo or his address on the cover of the record in the first place, bad?
    I am stamping my records for advertising purpose and hoping that they will lead back to me at some point, being tomorrow or in 10 years. it doesnt matter. Additionally I have scanned and used many stamps to adorn my booklets, what I am trying to say is that these stamps have been of great use. You are mad because I??ve stamped "your" mint cover? If thats the main issue in your life, pack your bag, buy a ticket to Addis Ababa and find it yourself. These records have been manufactured in very difficult countries, the beautiful music has been made, more often then not, by people who have suffered greatly in their lives, Africa is a very tough place, probably the toughest and what do you do? Two years have passed and you are still crying over a stamp on a record.

To the gentlemen that was very open about downloading the Rob Album. Such honesty commands respect although your thinking is shallow.
    No money for AA means I can not license, I can not master, I can not design, I can not manufacture, I can not exist. To legally download the whole album cost about the same as a coffe at your local starbucks. Too much asked? No money for AA, means no money for Essiebons and no money for Rob. And if anyone here has doubt about my licensing methods, feel free to ask yourself: robroy20@hotmail.com
    (Rob Reindorf)

Ok so I was correct in my presumption of why you stamp them...you equate yourself with African musical history and then you cap it all off by basically saying "go to Africa yourself if you want a non-stamped cover"...a public declaration of your delusion that discovery=creation.

I find it odd that my El Rego 45 came from El Rego himself,yet he didn't feel a need to mark it up, so why didn't he have a shit attitude along the lines of "you want a clean label? Drag your ass to West Africa to get it?" I suppose you think you contribute more to West African music than he does, as that is the only plausible explanation. Thanks for confirming you are complete jerk.

I downloaded it because I had that cover for years and wanted to hear what it sounded like so I found a rip of an OG and downloaded it. Heard it was going to be reissued, then saw the product and decided that I would keep my money.

• El Rego is not a dealer, nor a distributer, I am both! And google a little, I am african. I was born in a beautiful little country that gave its name to the continent.

• Can you please explain the difference between a music dealer like the now legendary Musique Kahn that have stamped and put stickers on every records they??ve sold 30 years ago and myself or any other dealer? Why have I never heard anyone complain over Kahn? What is wrong with keeping this tradition? You are writting out of anger and thats why it doesnt make any sense, no facts and no content.

• Anyway you can think what you want, I tried. Only idiots never change their mind, not even when they see a straight and honest response.

• Options
    JectWon said:
    sozzy said:

....than you need read some actual books....

Oy...this fail was painful.

A minor grammatical error is not a fail. Typing on my phone while doing something else - blah.

"Jectwon", oooh clever name..like short for 'project' and a play on 'one'. Cool dude! do you make beats? Please to not bruin ass in publix man. Get back to feasting on rancid colon discharge.

• Options
    Note to The_hook_up:

Please stop now. Go die please. Your semi-tard southern persona gruels me. I prefer my southerners to be conservative and hard working. You sound lazy and liberal. You are stupid and need to shit blood now. Go shit your blood stools on harvery canals face. He can take his shit splattered and blood stooled face to the welfare office. He can buy birthday cakes, coke and fried chickens and blast blood stools at you.

Tbnxbai

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Stamping records in an attempt to get publicity is a totally shitty move. If you really feel the need to do so, place the stamp on the inside or just print up some stickers that way the buyer can choose whether or not he wants to keep it.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    ost said:
    Stamping records in an attempt to get publicity is a totally shitty move. If you really feel the need to do so, place the stamp on the inside or just print up some stickers that way the buyer can choose whether or not he wants to keep it.
    Are these stamps being added before or after the record is sold?

Seriously. And to justify it by acting like your stamp in 2013 is the same as the stamp from some distributor in West Africa in 1977 is even worse...

ost said:

Even the cultural plunderers of the 19th century didn't scratch their names on the Rosetta Stone or whatever.

• p_gunn said:
    ost said:

Seriously. And to justify it by acting like your stamp in 2013 is the same as the stamp from some distributor in West Africa in 1977 is even worse...

What does this mean? what exactly do you know about vintage african music distribution?
    Disques Kahn, the exemple I took is not from west africa, its French, from Marseillle, Discafric, another major one, is also from France, both had a tradition of marking their records. The geographical location of a distributor has nothing to do with any of this except that we are all dealing with african records. If I get influenced by the senegalese way of doing, what difference does it make if I??m a distributer in island?
    Time will not stand still and in 36 years from now a record sold in 2013 will be as vintage as a record from 1977 is today.

• ost said:

It is a shitty move for you and I respect your opinion, but I am of a different one.
    Stickers might be a good idea, thank you!

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,847 Posts
    Analogafrica said:
    p_gunn said:
    ost said:

What does this mean? what exactly do you know about vintage african music distribution?
    Disques Kahn, the exemple I took is not from west africa, its French, from Marseillle, Discafric, another major one, is also from France, both had a tradition of marking their records. The geographical location of a distributor has nothing to do with any of this except that we are all dealing with african records. If I get influenced by the senegalese way of doing, what difference does it make if I??m a distributer in island?
    Time will not stand still and in 36 years from now a record sold in 2013 will be as vintage as a record from 1977 is today.

For the same reasons that goofs here extol the prestige of the OG--"buy the OG if you're a baller"--people who buy original pressings of records want a copy of the record as close to mint as possible. This we can all accept as true: the premise of grading records is that the more mint the record, the more desirable it is. As a rule, we would all choose the mint record (and jacket) over the scratched record (and defaced jacket).

When stamping an original jacket, you take the jacket one step further away from mint. Though we wall want the cleanest jacket, you're intentionally making it less clean. "Less clean" is a generous description: many collectors would consider your stamp a defacement.

Why do you make your records less clean? From your posts, I gather it's because you think its more important to advertise your label and to situate yourself within some tradition of record distributors than to preserve the integrity of the jacket. You do this knowing that a major element of the game is seeking the cleanest record.

In sum, stamping is a seriously dick move. For a guy who says he acts out of love for the music, this is awfully egotistical and ill-conceived.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,847 Posts
    Although on further reflection, I have to acknowledge the impressive chutzpah that makes you think you should deliberately add to the patina of your records. The idea that in ten years people are going to be all "oh snap, I just scored a record that Analog Africa once sold on ebay, suuuuweeet" is some choice megalomaniacal thinking.

The classy thing to do would be to print Analog Africa rolling papers or the like and add them to your package. I can easily think of a dozen smart ways of branding the fuck out of your ebay sales that don't involve stamping records. But they all require a little humility.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    the dealings of europeans in africa: maaaaaayyyybe not the best history to emulate....