STOUT Season - What are your favorite brews?

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited November 2012 in Strut Central
Rocking a case of this for the holidays.

Comments

• Lovin this for the Holidays!

• covecove 1,566 Posts

• yeah that founders breakfast is for real. had to try this the other day, killer:

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    downtownrobbrown said:
    Rocking a case of this for the holidays.

Co-fucking-sign. Anything Founder's has made is amazing, in my opinion.

In the vein of Stouts, I've been a big fan of this muh' fukka:

This has always been my IPA of choice, when I have the guap:

The local brewery here in Charleston has a bad ass porter that I've been digging for a while now. Holy City Pluff Mud Porter. They only do draught brew...no bottles, so I don't have a pic...best I could do is a pic of the tap handles:

The best cheap beer I get this time of year is this though...

...it's as cheap as the main stream piss but has way more taste.

Cheers, Strut...

• herbacios tweed said:
    yeah that founders breakfast is for real. had to try this the other day, killer:

love the simple label on that one.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Not fucking with stouts...

In the fridge:

Chimay Blue
    Dogfish Midas Touch
    Sam Smith Nut Brown

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    JectWon said:

...it's as cheap as the main stream piss but has way more taste.

I wonder how well this goes down with the Irish diaspora, LOL.

*cross-thread craic ;-)

Duderonomy said:

*cross-thread craic ;-)

Well......shit.

EDIT: And I googled 'craic'.......well played.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    Yuengling is always the cheap beer of choice, especially the Black & Tan.

My local bar in Brooklyn always has a tap for Avery, I always looked forward to their porter and stout.

Keegan's Mother's Milk is another personal favorite.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

raer

I know a guy that buys these up from Whole Foods at $11.99 a bottle. Waits a few months and sells them online for $50-60.

I buy these up from Whole Foods and drink them all.

• Options
    herbacios tweed said:
    yeah that founders breakfast is for real. had to try this the other day, killer:

If you get a chance to try a nice fresh "Lunch" IPA from them, do so. It's ridiculous. I've got a few Mean Old Tom's from different dates sitting in my basement too, haven't had one in awhile. Real nice and smooth.

Founder's Breakfast is wonderful, I still have some left over from my case from last year. Same with the Imperial Stout from them, I think that comes out again next month. If you like barley wines, try and get some Bolt Cutter. It came out this week but is expensive.

Goose Island Bourbon County is much easier to get this year, they brewed 10x more than last year.

Southern Tier's Mokah and Choklat are top notch also.

Sween said:

Southern Tier's Mokah and Choklat are top notch also.

Yeah, man. Their Imperial Choklat is ridiculous. I had the privilege of having that on tap sometime last year and it was amazing.

• My local fave:

• jjfad027 said:

raer

I know a guy that buys these up from Whole Foods at $11.99 a bottle. Waits a few months and sells them online for $50-60.

you beat me to it. i have one of these sitting in my fridge. I'm not a huge stout person, but this is amazing.

also got my hands on this epic brew:

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Still sitting on a few bottles of this:

Hopefully its still good.
    Waiting for a nice snow day to enjoy them.

• Duderonomy said:

going by the date on the label I'm sure they'll claim they had the name before it's more sinister meaning came about. Still, not something I ever expect to see on off licence shelves in my locality...

Risingson said:
    Duderonomy said:

going by the date on the label I'm sure they'll claim they had the name before it's more sinister meaning came about. Still, not something I ever expect to see on off licence shelves in my locality...

Whoa...you made me 'google' alternative Black and Tan meanings. Hell of a read. Thanks for that. Also, the date on the label is just the age of the Brewery not that specific drink...so who knows.

At any rate, the drink ain't bad...and for the price it's great.

• Options
    Pistol_Pete said:
    jjfad027 said:

raer

you beat me to it. i have one of these sitting in my fridge. I'm not a huge stout person, but this is amazing.

What'd you do to get the CBS? I'm sitting on 3 of them, got two when they came out and drank one, traded for one and paid 60 for the last one. Up to my ears in KBS from the last two years as well.

I've lost touch with how to post photos on here unfortunately, every time I try it's a colossal failure. I'm @mattysween on instagram, have a load of beer photos on there.

• I love the Founders, but my local was all out, so I'll rep a solid stout I'm currently enjoying:

• Options
    Anyone in the Illinois area think they can come up on an extra bottle or two of the Goose Island Cherry or Coffee Stouts that got released yesterday?

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Who has time for stout with all these fresh hopped beers available for a month? Besides, it's still 75 degrees out in San Diego.

• Sween said:
    Pistol_Pete said:
    jjfad027 said:

raer

What'd you do to get the CBS? I'm sitting on 3 of them, got two when they came out and drank one, traded for one and paid 60 for the last one. Up to my ears in KBS from the last two years as well.

I've lost touch with how to post photos on here unfortunately, every time I try it's a colossal failure. I'm @mattysween on instagram, have a load of beer photos on there.

I made a trade with someone in the area a little while back. i sent him a Pliny the Elder and an Alpine Nelson. I live in LA, so it's nearly impossible to get my hands on anything from Founders.
    I've never had the KBS...would love to make a trade with you!

• wife and I brewed our first batch this past month..just a simple wheat beer, but it was great. I was dubious that our batch would be drinkable, but it turned out to be smooth and flavorful. Besides our own beer, I have been hitting the local brew pub, Boscos, and buying growlers of their sorghum ale. So freakin' good. Love it. Unfortunately it is a special now, so it will disappear soon. Must go get another growler now...

• Sween said:
    Anyone in the Illinois area think they can come up on an extra bottle or two of the Goose Island Cherry or Coffee Stouts that got released yesterday?

This is coming to NY, if you can wait a few weeks.

And to add to the thread, from Belgium t' Smisje Catherine the Great is really tasty

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I got this bad boy in my fridge.

• Abyss is so good we like to drink ours and snack on chocolate covered bacon. Heaven.

rooklyn Black Ops does not exist. However, if it did exist, it would be a robust stout concocted by the Brooklyn brewing team under cover of secrecy and hidden from everyone else at the brewery. Supposedly ???Black ops??? was aged for four months in bourbon barrels, bottled flat, and re-fermented with Champagne yeast, creating big chocolate and coffee flavors with a rich underpinning of vanilla-like oat notes. They say there are only 1,000 cases. We have no idea what they???re talking about.???

Great Divide Yeti has some good variations

On the less rare trip these are always in my fridge

I can't do porters cause I end up wishing they were stronger like stouts.

• brentabousko said:

I can't do porters cause I end up wishing they were stronger like stouts.

Try Baltic/Imperial Porters. Victory, and Smuttynose make great ones.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Sween said:
    Hey, Sween.

I'm not much of a beer drinker myself (I stay on that cold gin like Paul Stanley), but I hit a few spots today on my way here and there looking for those Goose Island jernts for you, and no dice. I'm gonna check one more place on my way to my kid's school ("It's a classy move"), but I am not optimistic, as it's over by th' cawledge, and thus frequented by professors and other top-hat types that drink beer out of actual glasses, and thus more likely to be tapped-out on the boutique strongwaters. I'll let you know.

If, however, you ever find youself needing some flavored brandy in a bottle shaped like a woman's shoe, holler. I now know a place.

• Options
    james said:
    Sween said:
    Hey, Sween.

I'm not much of a beer drinker myself (I stay on that cold gin like Paul Stanley), but I hit a few spots today on my way here and there looking for those Goose Island jernts for you, and no dice. I'm gonna check one more place on my way to my kid's school ("It's a classy move"), but I am not optimistic, as it's over by th' cawledge, and thus frequented by professors and other top-hat types that drink beer out of actual glasses, and thus more likely to be tapped-out on the boutique strongwaters. I'll let you know.

If, however, you ever find youself needing some flavored brandy in a bottle shaped like a woman's shoe, holler. I now know a place.

What flavor brandy, and what size shoe?

PM sent.