Kickstarter Project: Finding the Funk by Nelson George & Arthur Baker.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited October 2012 in Strut Central
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1852546358/finding-the-funk-0

"About Finding the Funk

Inspired by an idea from legendary record producer Arthur Baker, Finding the Funk is a road trip in search of the past, present and future of Funk music. We start in Dayton the birthplace of so many of Funk's originators, then onto Detroit where from the ashes of Motown, P-Funk's Mothership arose and then to LA where a new crop of musicians, like Dam Funk, are creating their own Funk history. Among those featured in the film are Sly Stone, Bootsy Collins, Mike D of the Beastie Boys, D'Angelo, Marcus Miller, Mtume, Nona Hendryx, Vernon Reid, Maceo Parker, Bernie Worrell, Steve Arrington, Reggie Hudlin, Sheila E, Shock G, Sade's Stuart Matthewman and Diplo. Hosted by Ahmir "Questlove" Thompson of the Roots. Vh1 is hoping to air Finding the Funk next spring.

After a whirlwind summer of filming concerts, outdoor festivals and intimate backstage jam sessions with some of the Funk's most notable performers, Finding the Funk is headed into post-production. $20,000 is what we need to take our film to the next level.

We'll be posting two other trailers for the film, right here, on our Kickstarter page during the pledge period, giving you all a deeper look into what we've shot and why this film will be worth your time!"

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Too obvious to point out this pretty much seems to rehash the same history of funk that's already rather canonized?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Baker can't find 20 large after a career in music that long?

• mannybolone said:
    Too obvious to point out this pretty much seems to rehash the same history of funk that's already rather canonized?

yeah, this project seems completely unneccessary.

b/w

• I was about to make a VH1 joke, then low and behold...they mention it. Why don't they just rebroadcast a "I love the 70s" episode...pretty sure there would be just as much info on "funk" in that as this crappy endeavor.

Also if this shit is going to be on VH1, why doesn't fucking Viacom pay for it? Why the fuck would you fund kickstarter project for a billion dollar corporation? This is actually kind of maddening. So Viacom gets some "free" programming and then profits from selling advertising to broadcast it. Fuck this a thousand different ways.

• MY SON COLLECT FUNK 45

you beat me to it, Viacom is crowdsourcing pre-production costs? Real confusing project here.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    As happy as I am to see Sheila E smiling in 2012, the heavy Rickey Vincent vibes surrounding this project are giving me that uh-oh feeling, as is Nelson George's borderline shucking in the trailer.

With the possible exception of certain Europeans and slightly slizzard Tom Joyner Cruise attendees with credit cards, I cannot imagine who this will appeal to.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Edited: Nevermind.