Toronto International Film Fest 2012 Strut

onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
edited September 2012 in Strut Central
Didn't see a thread for this yet... just arrived in Toronto in time to grab tickets for the Orioles vs. Blue Jays tonight, and then tomorrow I'll jump in with a projected 43 movies from 25 countries over 11 days.

I have tickets for Malick's booed-at-Venice TO THE WONDER, Baumbach's FRANCES HA, and, uh, Korine's SPRING BREAKERS -- but mostly I'll be checking out world cinema titles from young directors that don't yet have distribution, as well as some new films from intl' veterans like Michael Haneke, Tsai Ming-liang, and Apichatpong Weerasethakul.

I did aim to see THE MASTER in 70mm, but was denied. Luckily, a theater near me back home has it in the same format a few weeks from now.

Usually there are a few other strutters attending... who's seeing what? What tickets were you shooting for that proved a tough pull?

I know the city fairly well, but always eager to hear about new spots for coffee, drinks, and veggie-friendly eats that may have popped up in the last year.

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Welcome back!!

Where are you staying?
    When are you leaving?
    Let's figure out a time to meet!!

This is my list - mind you, I haven't checked days, times or tickets just yet. I'll be glad if I can get to two or three of these.

Rust and Bone
    Beyond The Hills
    At Any Price
    Berberian Sound Studio
    Burn It Up
    How to Make Money Selling Drugs
    Foxfire
    Iceberg Slim doc
    Yellow
    Something in the Air

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Hey! No longer staying near Kensington, we've shifted w/ the venues over toward College + Yonge. Less interesting neighborhood, but close walking distance to most venues.

We overlap on at least two films. I've got RUST AND BONE at the Ryerson tomorrow at noon, and BERBERIAN Monday, 6pm at Hot Docs. (How big is that venue, BTW?)

I'm here through the film fest and staying a day after. Hope we can catch up and/or catch a film.

Anyone else doing TIFF this year?

As a footnote, I was baffled that they didn't have Leos Carax's HOLY MOTORS in the line-up. That's my most anticipated film of the season, and seemed like a natural fit for them.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Way too busy to make it out this year. Hope to have figured out how to live a manageable life in time for TIFF '13!

These are some of the flicks not mentioned above that I was interested in - if any of you see them, please report back!

http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2012/statoilfiglio
    http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2012/secretdiscorevolutio
    http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2012/lesserblessed
    http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2012/misslovely
    http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2012/9.79

Would love to see The Master in 70mm - hope TIFF brings it back in that format post-festival.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    ps. yeah, i'm looking forward to seeing Holy Motors, as well. Looks like it was released in France this summer, so maybe distribution is already sorted out and they didn't bother with the fest ??

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    just got back from a nice euro vacay, and starting a new job. Alas no time for any flicks this year.

If you have questions about food do ask. There are quite a few high profile restaurant openings since last year. Most are in the west side of town.

Go to Bellwoods Brewery to have the witchshark ipa. Thank me later.

20 films down, 25 yet to go... wish I could say I'd seen some masterpieces so far, but everything's at least ranged from good to really good with only 2 exceptions.

BERBERIAN SOUND STUDIO should interest people here. It's set in the 70s, a claustrophobic tale of madness and obsession about a UK sound engineer hired by an Italian horror director to perfect the sound effects and mix. Major nods to Argento and Fulci, even if the film is much more restrained than you'd imagine. Bonus points to the director for citing the Nurse With Wound list during the Q+A.

Haneke's AMOUR was quite good. Tread very similar ground to the recent Icelandic film VOLCANO, if anyone here's seen that.

James Franco's performance in Harmony Korine's SPRING BREAKERS is something else... that film would pair well with Herzog's BAD LIEUTENANT, btw.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    did you by any chance catch this

pcmr said:
    did you by any chance catch this

No, I didn't. What have you heard?

Standouts so far for me:

POST TENEBRAS LUX -- New Carlos Reygadas movie about class, family, sex, and animal cruelty. Totally unique visual style. Audiences will be puzzling through this one for years to come.

PARADISE: LOVE -- Dark comedy about a middle-aged Austrian woman who engages in sexual tourism in Kenya. Vicious by most standards, the film is a bit more gentle by director Ulrich Seidl's... this is as close to Solondz or Alexander Payne as it is Bruno Dumont or Seidl's devastating IMPORT/EXPORT.

IN ANOTHER COUNTRY -- Hong Sang-soo brings Isabelle Huppert into his unique comic fold with this story of three French women, all named Anne and all played by Huppert, who visit a small coastal village in S. Korea and encounter the same offbeat characters. One of the three characters is a French film director, apparently modeled after frequent Huppert director Claire Denis.