Pat Robertson Is At It Again (NRR)

funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Televangelist Calls for Assassination of ChavezBy THE ASSOCIATED PRESSFiled at 6:20 a.m. ETVIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (AP) -- Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson suggested on-air that American operatives assassinate Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez to stop his country from becoming ''a launching pad for communist infiltration and Muslim extremism.''''We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability,'' Robertson said Monday on the Christian Broadcast Network's ''The 700 Club.''''We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator,'' he continued. ''It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with.''Chavez has emerged as one of the most outspoken critics of President Bush, accusing the United States of conspiring to topple his government and possibly backing plots to assassinate him. U.S. officials have called the accusations ridiculous.''You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it,'' Robertson said. ''It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war ... and I don't think any oil shipments will stop.''Robertson, 75, founder of the Christian Coalition of America and a former presidential candidate, accused the United States of failing to act when Chavez was briefly overthrown in 2002.Electronic pages and a message to a Robertson spokeswoman were not immediately returned Monday evening.Venezuela is the fifth largest oil exporter and a major supplier of oil to the United States. The CIA estimates that U.S. markets absorb almost 59 percent of Venezuela's total exports.Venezuela's government has demanded in the past that the United States crack down on Cuban and Venezuelan ''terrorists'' in Florida who they say are conspiring against Chavez.Robertson has made controversial statements in the past. In October 2003, he suggested that the State Department be blown up with a nuclear device. He has also said that feminism encourages women to ''kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.''

Comments

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    buy citgo gas
    100% Venezuelan govt. owned

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Gas companies buy oil from other companies when their supplies aren't enough in certain areas. Buying Venezuelan or Nigerian does not guarantee snubbing your nose at the Middle East.
    That said, respect to Hugo Chavez for standing up to the US. Hopefully he is not providing a safe haven for Al Qaeda.
    Peace
    T.N.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    What Would Jesus Do?

He probably would not assasinate a president.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I predict a ton of problems for Hugo Chavez in 5-6 years. Not by US hands either.

And Pat talking = who cares....

• What Would Jesus Do?

Bottom line, and truth...

once they ice him will they leave citgo as a stand alone brand or will it be converted into exon/mobil/sunoco/??

The will change the name to Chavez. That way they can sell it to want to be left wing radicals that need oil too. Its all about marketing look how big Che is on the T-Shirt market.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    What Would Jesus Do?

Bottom line, and truth...

really though. I mean isn't "Thou shall not kill" like one of the commandments. Is he using his relationship with God to create murder plots?

these words under the guise of religion scare me

''You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it,'' Robertson said. ''It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war ... and I don't think any oil shipments will stop.''

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    We should assassinate Pat Robertson instead. That'd really be doing the world a favor.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    We should pray fot Pat Robertson instead. That'd really be doing the world a favor.

hell bound

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    We should assassinate Pat Robertson instead. That'd really be doing the world a favor.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    We should assassinate Pat Robertson send Pat Robertson to Venezuela instead. That'd really be doing the world a favor.

• "Uh, now, now, stay with me on this one, folks. Uh, Sally Struthers has a Tiberian junker, which is uh the favorite ship of the Hutts, and she has trapped oureh, our our new CBC ship in a uh poe-sitronic tractor beam.
    Uh, so we're gonna need an ionic tractor disruptor. Now now, not a regular ionic di- tractor disruptor, but a negative ionic tractor disruptor to uh, help spread the Word of Jesus. I don't have a fucking idea up here."[/b]

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    We should assassinate Pat Robertson send Pat Robertson to Venezuela instead. That'd really be doing the world a favor.

Venezuela is in the world.

The worst thing that can happen to him is to have a well-adjusted and very out gay son and/or lesbian daughter who married a Muslim in Belgium, adopted a child in China and shouts it from the roof-tops who his/her daddy is in the Bible-belt.

The worst thing that can happen to him is to have a well-adjusted and very out gay son and/or lesbian daughter who married a Muslim in Belgium, adopted a child in China and shouts it from the roof-tops who his/her daddy is in the Bible-belt.

Pat would have him or her killed before they could go public.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Pat would have him or her killed before they could go public.

how grim.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

Actually, the best thing we can do is ignore him. Killing him might make his image more powerful. Believe me, I met him once and thought about it.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    ALL Tele-evangelists end up hanging themselves in the end. They always get carried away and inevitably start saying stuff like this. They cant help it. We just have to sit back and enjoy the show and call them on stuff like this.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    ALL Tele-evangelists end up hanging themselves in the end. They always get carried away and inevitably start saying stuff like this. They cant help it. We just have to sit back and enjoy the show and call them on stuff like this.

Unfortunately I doubt he'll get in any hot water over this...

• Venezuela's government has demanded in the past that the United States crack down on Cuban and Venezuelan ''terrorists'' in Florida who they say are conspiring against Chavez.

i like the way they put terrorists in quotes, like there is any question there are people in miami who have commited terrorist atrocities in cuba.

what is the evidence that chavez has connections with al qeada ? sounds like propaganda to me but you never know.

dave

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

ITT used the CIA in Chile to kill a DEMCRATICALLY ELECTED LEFTIST PRESIDENT-Allende- in a coup dtrected by Kissenger in 1973.Then they installed pinochet who killed/maimed /tourtured/looted,and was friendly to US interests.I reckon they will do Iran before this.
    And Pat is probobly right ,there will be no war just applied covert action.The prblem here is the people Love Chavez,so anarchy could insue.Chavez is also showering cuba right now with oil/money /anything they need.

Which is why Kissinger isn't allowin' his presidential term documents/minutes to be released until his death; if disclosed prior, it likely will posit him either as a war criminal or the capo who condoned/advocated political assassinations... He's always seemed like the kid who got picked on when he was younger (in Germany) who then then becomes a bully himself when he's older and w/ the power to do so...

• Rumsfeld said that Robertson is a private citizen and can say what he feels. I wonder how his tune would change if he suggested taking out GWBush.

• Rumsfeld said that Robertson is a private citizen and can say what he feels. I wonder how his tune would change if he suggested taking out GWBush.

that is the hypocrisy that is american politics. i was watching bbc today and they are much more objective and softer on chavez than the american media. for instance seems like i'm reading all kinds of editorials in the new york times about how chavez is a dictator and intimidating people. seems like they have to get the propoganda started for another intervention. anyone who is not friendly to us business' and tries to help a majority of their countries people has to go. that's pretty clear.

• I actually don't have a problem with Pat Robertson. He makes me laugh.
    It's the people who actually buy into his bullshit that I have the problem with.
    And of course he says this shit because he knows motherfuckers will eat it up.

Which is worse, the fool who leads or the fool who follows?

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    There are heroes on both sides. Evil is everywhere.

• There are heroes on both sides. Evil is everywhere.

yeah, ok yoda.

yo chavez is a a real controversial dude, but i cant help but give the man his props. impossible to know the real deal too from the media. the film "the revolution will not be televised" was definitely pro chavez. all the venezuelans ive spoken to in the states dont like him. but chavez aint benefitting the venesolanos who can travel to america and send their kids to u of penn. so fuck em. im chavista till i go down to venezuela and get shown different.

speak truth to power hugo. fuck the bullshit.

pat robertson = extra hypocrite, like most politically focused evangelical fundamentalist fucks

what is the evidence that chavez has connections with al qeada ? sounds like propaganda to me but you never know.

Yeah, there was another dictator who supposedly had ties with al qeada.

What was his name?

• I liked Chavez's response:

"I don't even know who Pat Robertson is." (or something to that effect)