last time you cried at a song...

RishanRishan 454 Posts
edited April 2012 in Strut Central
...for no underlying reason, other than the sheer bloody genius of it. i mean, it needs to be not apparently related to other stuff that was going on in your life at the time. i know that is difficult to identify because we all have stress n shit...but anyway, a few weeks back i was in floods during Gary Bartz 'I've Known Rivers'. i mean absolutely bawling at the top of my lungs. i was completely broken by the beauty of it, even though i've heard it dozens of times. i regularly get choked up like this to certain sounds. does it happen to anyone else, or am i soft as porridge?

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Last song I sobbed at was Margie Joseph's Stop In the Name of Love.

Her delivery is so genuine and pained, this whole part was just too much at the time:

Baby, baby
    I'm aware of where you go
    Each time you leave my door
    I watch you walk down the street
    Knowing your other love you'll meet
    But this time before you run to her
    Leaving me alone and hurt
    After I've been good to you?
    After I've been sweet to you?

I've known of your
    Your secluded nights
    I've even seen her
    Maybe once or twice
    But is her sweet expression
    Worth more than my love and affection?
    But this time before you leave my arms
    And rush of to her charms
    Haven't I been good to you?
    Haven't I been sweet to you?

Last time before that was at the Soul Power screening during Withers' Hope She'll Be Happier.

I get emotional at songs all the time - everything from a rising lump in my chest/throat to getting a little teary.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Can't think of anything that makes me bawl, but listening to Donuts is likely to bring a slight tear to my eye.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I've never cried at the sheer genius of a song, but I've cried while the sheer genius of a song takes me to a place that is full of emotion.

Last time that happened was listening to this Beto Guedes cut

• Becoming a dad has made me much more likely to well up at sentimental stuff in general. I distinctly recall driving home from my wife's ultrasound appointment after finding out we were having a girl and hearing Jorge Ben "Meus Fillhos, Meu Tesouro" (My Kids, My Treasure) and crying my eyes out.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    This song KILLS me every time because of how perfectly it conveys existential melancholy and the life-affirming social bonds we have.

Makes me want to listen to more adult contemporary folk.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Yo, man the fuck up!

Actually, when I fist heard Capanni / Miracles I thought the world had come to an end and we were in heaven, listening to the music of the gods. The sheer perfection of the arrangement, the space and sparsity of the opening verse building through a growing crescendo and inexorably into a euphoric and tumultuous climax...well those moments don't come along too often in a lifetime of getting blas?? about the good, the bad and the ugly+fresh of listening to music, but sure as hell I was nowhere near blubbing about it.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    skel said:
    Yo, man the fuck up!

advice tooken. listened to Oneness of Juju 'River Luv Rite' and refused to even draw a smile.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I'd have to say "Old Folks" by James Moody. It's simply a blissfully beautiful song.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    'Seven Years' by The Impressions. It reminds me of a break up I went through.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Beautiful song. And the accuracy and poignancy of the lyrics has put me over the top in the past. Not today, though.

• carpenters "yesterday once more" always gets me.

peace, stein. . .

• big earbig ear 67 Posts
    man, that Beto Guedes cut is sooooo nice.
    it's been a while, but I've been known to get a little misty eyed to Tom Waits 'Martha'

• this gets me

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    Never actually shed tears due to a song alone...but this brought me close at a particularly trying time of my life:

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    It's always to do with what's happening in your life at the time. Songs are just catalysts.
    I was driving on Saturday morning, the radio was tuned to Radio One, and Michael Kiwanuka's "I'm Getting Ready" came on between 2 autotuned R 'n Rave tunes. It sure choked me up.
    But I was driving up to see my mum, who's terminally ill with cancer and I haven't really got sad about it yet.