Blue Velvet 25 Years Old Appreesh Poast.

JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2012/feb/10/david-lynch-blue-velvet-bfi

I was blown away by this at the time, and revisited it recently with the media buzz of it passing a silver anniversary.

Lynch's best and Frank Booth still, for me, the baddest baddie. Can't believe it's 25 years already, that makes it older than a lot of strutters

If you've never seen it, do yourself a favour.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Still creepy to this day.

• batmon said:
    Still creepy to this day.

shit yeah it is. me and the GF just ripped through all of twin peaks and even THAT still makes the skin crawl.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I guess she's a critics' darling and has had work through the years, but I still feel like Isabella Rossellini is so underrated.
    She kinda blew open the notion of what an attractive and sexy woman could look like.

For better or worse, that movie has definitely left a stamp on my brain.

To this day I really dont know what its really about.

They just released the Blu-Ray and im tempted to upgrade. But I dont know if im a big enough fan to.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Epic movie... I don't think I've ever felt as excited when watching a contemporary movie, probably also because I've seen it in a local small town theater in Germany and was so used having to hunt down anything worthwhile to watch on grainy VHS copies. I think this was the first and only time that I got to see a genuine "cult" movie right when it came out.

Dennis Hopper... so baddass... he said in an interview that the Frank Booth character was similar to how he's been in the late 70s around the time when he shot Out Of The Blue (haven't seen it? what are you waiting for?) Around the same time Blue Velvet came out, I got to see this exhibit of Hoppers' Photography, I think all the pictures were from '64-'67, loads of bikers with nazi memorabilia smoking heroin and stuff. He must have had a life... incredible.

Laura Dern might have had the most mesmerizing crying scenes ever in movie history, that shit was just ridiculous...

Pretty sure the song and movie title was a homage to this:

• I like how Kyle McLaughlin's character is basically a superhero whose only power is having nuts the size of watermelons.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    Still hate Laura Dern because of that cry scene. Worst face ever. I have a bunch of pics from last year when I dj'd the Twin Peaks art exibit. Crazy show. I may have got some unreleased Lynch music from that event. Shhhh

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Jspr said:

Remember Blue Velvet as one of those transgressing rite-of-passage works you enjoy in your 20s bc of the bottle rape scene and general unsettling atmosphere, but havent' seen it in close to 20 yrs.

The coke bottle rape was Hopper's character in Paris Trout, not in Blue Velvet.

• unityunity 179 Posts
    Murdock said:
    Still hate Laura Dern because of that cry scene. Worst face ever. I have a bunch of pics from last year when I dj'd the Twin Peaks art exibit. Crazy show. I may have got some unreleased Lynch music from that event. Shhhh

When I first watched it, I was like, "holy shit, Laura Dern isn't this bad of an actress is she?!" But then I read something somewhere saying that Lynch specifically told her to act poorly in order to give the movie an even more unsettling guise. And now I'm all like, "woah."

Can anyone explain Laura Dern's appeal. She's goofy and goofy looking. I dont get it.

Is it the girl next door thing?

jammawocky

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I like her look...I guess it's a girl-next-door thing, but with a twist. She's not a typical beauty, but has appeal.
    Wild at Heart pretty much sealed her hot factor imo.

Are her and Ben Harper still together?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I don't remember a goddamn thing about this movie, but I don't feel like I'm missing anything because of it.
    Oh, and this:

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    The_Non said:
    I don't remember a goddamn thing about this movie, but I don't feel like I'm missing anything because of it.

^^^ SCARED.