Nothing Better To Rile Up SS Than Food Threads

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
Hey folls,
Get your debate on with this list, very NYC heavy and very few Southern restaurants:

101 Best Restaurants in America for 2012
Francesco Tonelli, Arun'sThaiRestaurant, Jonathan Young

http://www.thedailymeal.com/101-best-restaurants-america

101 Best Restaurants for 2012:

101. La Grenouille, New York City

100. Bar Masa, New York City

99. Michael Mina, San Francisco

98. The Pit, Raleigh, N.C.

97. Jitlada, Los Angeles

96. The Walrus and the Carpenter, Seattle

95. SriPraPhai, Queens, N.Y.

94. Jaleo, Las Vegas

93. Charlie Trotter???s, Chicago

92. Boulevard, San Francisco

91. Stephan Pyles, Dallas

90. The Four Seasons, New York City

89. Tertulia, New York City

88. O-Ya, Boston

87. Palena Caf??, Washington, D.C.

86. Zahav, Philadelphia

85. Son of a Gun, Los Angeles

84. Arun's, Chicago

83. Ben???s Chili Bowl, Washington, D.C.

82. Casa Mono, New York City

81. The Bazaar, Los Angeles

80. La Taqueria, San Francisco

79. The Hitching Post II, Buellton, Calif.

78. Gjelina, Venice, Calif.

77. Boulud Sud, New York City

76. Ad Hoc, Yountville, Calif.

75. Father???s Office, Los Angeles

74. Michael's Genuine Food & Drink, Miami

73. McCrady's, Charleston, S.C.

72. Valentino, Santa Monica, Calif.

71. Coi, San Francisco

70. Herbfarm, Seattle

69. Beast, Portland, Ore.

68. Al Forno, Providence, R.I.

67. Joe's Stone Crab, Miami

66. The Barn at Blackberry Farm, Walland, Tenn.

65. minibar, Washington, D.C.

64. Spago, Los Angeles

63. The Publican, Chicago

62. Le Pigeon, Portland, Ore.

61. Luling City Market, Houston

60. Gotham Bar And Grill, New York City

59. Spiaggia, Chicago

58. Galatoire's, New Orleans

57. The Dutch, New York City

56. Osteria Morini, New York City

55. Mustard's Grill, Napa, Calif.

54. Fonda San Miguel, Austin, Texas

53. Roberta???s, Brooklyn, N.Y.

52. August, New Orleans

51. Lucques, Los Angeles

50. Fig, Los Angeles

49. Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana, New Haven, Conn.

48. Arthur Bryant's, Kansas City, Mo.

47. Minetta Tavern, New York City

46. The Modern, New York City

45. Fearing's, Dallas

44. Locanda Verde, New York City

43. Masa, New York City

42. Slanted Door, San Francisco

41. Husk, Charleston, S.C.

40. Kreuz Market, Lockhart, Texas

39. Flour + Water, San Francisco

38. The Little Owl, New York City

37. Del Posto, New York City

36. Zuni Cafe, San Francisco

35. Inn at Little Washington, Washington, Va.

34. Le Bec-Fin, Philadelphia

33. Pizzeria Bianco, Phoenix

32. Jo??l Robuchon, Las Vegas

31. Canlis, Seattle

30. Frontera Grill, Chicago

29. Bouchon Bistro, Yountville, Calif.

28. Next, Chicago

27. Katz's Deli, New York City

26. Vetri, Philadelphia

25. Animal, Los Angeles

24. WD-50, New York City

23. Girl & the Goat, Chicago

22. Commander's Palace, New Orleans

21. Marea, New York City

20. Cochon, New Orleans

19. Daniel, New York City

18. Peter Luger, Brooklyn, N.Y.

17. ABC Kitchen, New York City

16. Jean Georges, New York City

15. Franklin Barbecue, Austin, Texas

14. Babbo, New York City

13. Blue Hill Stone Barns, Pocantico Hills, N.Y.

12. Pok Pok, Portland, Ore.

11. L'Atelier de Jo??l Robouchon, New York City

10. Citronelle, Washington, D.C.

9. Gramercy Tavern, New York City

8. Momofuku Ss??m, New York City

7. Per Se, New York City

6. Osteria Mozza, Los Angeles

5. French Laundry, Yountville, Calif.

4. Eleven Madison Park, New York City

3. Chez Panisse, Berkeley, Calif.

2. Alinea, Chicago

1. Le Bernardin, New York City

Comments

• People still eat at spago?

Fathers Office gets a nod off of an (albeit very good) hamburger? Wtf?

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    good to see Galatoire's, August, Commander's Palace, and Cochon on the list from nola. but no stella or herbsaint? pfffft. this list is unreliable.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    This list is obviously skewed toward "fine dining" establishments, so it's understandable that spots in NYC/LA/SF/DC are well represented.

Damn, is the steak at Peter Luger's that good?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I like Roberta's, but I'm a little surprised to see it there.

Now I'll never get a seat...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    My list will be like the Private Presses of Restaurants.....No Dean Fearing fare for me.

Cuban Grill - Van Buren, Arkansas - I've been to Miami & Key West and eaten at the so-called best Cuban spots in the country. This place, in an old fast food joint just North of Fort Smith and it's 70+ year old Cuban cook gets my vote for best Cuban food I've ever had.

Russ's Ribs - Bristow, Oklahoma - Known for their specialty "Tri-Tips" of beef. Putting Bar-B-Q sauce on their meat should be a crime.

Dutch Pantry - Chouteau, Oklahoma - This is the ONLY buffet restaurant that I will eat at. Southern homestyle food made from scratch and deserts like you wouldn't believe. I might kill for their Pineapple/Coconut Pie.

Prince Grill - Arlington, Texas In an old Sonic Drive-In and not a bad dish on the menu. Falafel is out of this world and the Shish Tawook is ridiculous.

Perini Ranch - Buffalo Gap, Texas - Best steak for the money west of the Mississippi. Their zucchini dish will make zucchini haters see the light. Don't go if a dog walking around the restaurant bothers you or without a reservation made at least a week ahead of time.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    is there a source for this list?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Chez Panisse has got to be one of the most overrated restaurants of all time. It's good, but it ain't that good.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    61. Luling City Market, Houston

Wasn't impressed at all when I ate there.

Happy to see Franklin's BBQ in Austin on the list though.

DJ_Enki said:
    Chez Panisse has got to be one of the most overrated restaurants of all time. It's good, but it ain't that good.

I've heard this from many people. I think it's constantly on "Best Restaurants" lists because Alice Waters is considered a culinary goddess and was on the forefront of the whole organic, farm-to-table movement -- not necessarily because food is awesome and groundbreaking.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    Ben's & Arthur Bryant's... aiight, aiight.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:

CP at #3 is a total joke. It's so out of whack that it pretty much discredits the entire list. Mustard's at #55 is a joke, as well (shouldn't even make the USA's top 101, maybe a Bay Area Top 101). Zuni (#36) has also become irrelevant in recent years. It's like some of these restaurants were rated on their reputations from 15-20 years ago. Good for debate though!

• I'm saying.

What is this Zagat '95?

Real talk though, French Laundry was the best meal I ever had. 16 courses and 4.5 hours of total bliss.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    phongone said:

Damn, is the steak at Peter Luger's that good?
    oh fuck yeah

phongone said:
    DJ_Enki said:

I've heard this from many people. I think it's constantly on "Best Restaurants" lists because Alice Waters is considered a culinary goddess and was on the forefront of the whole organic, farm-to-table movement -- not necessarily because food is awesome and groundbreaking.

Yeah, everybody's just bowing down to Alice Waters' reputation, and while the food at CP is just fine, there are way better meals to be had in the Bay Area--and for way cheaper, too.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    I'm saying.

What is this Zagat '95?

"Mini-Pizzas and delish desserts make this Italian eatery a must! Ravioli? Holy Cannoli!"

The-gaffler said:
    4YearGraduate said:
    I'm saying.

What is this Zagat '95?

"Mini-Pizzas and delish desserts make this Italian eatery a must! Ravioli? Holy Cannoli!"

Chris Farley was killing it in that sketch.

• Katz' Deli? I mean, great dogs and corned beef, but #27 restaurant in America?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    So now Franklin Barbecue is the best restaurant, of any type, in all of Texas???

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    H.E.R.M.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    List is automatically :ehhx2: due to the inclusion of Ben's Chili Bowl. Place is :shitty:

Suprised Pizza Mart didn't make the list.

• The_Non said:

82. Casa Mono, New York City - Loved this place, it's been a couple years... Ate a lot, drank a lot, a lot of merriment.

74. Michael's Genuine Food & Drink, Miami - Totally legit... Great dinner, great brunch. Eaten here three times, loved them all.

67. Joe's Stone Crab, Miami - Touristy, only fun if someone else is paying.

63. The Publican, Chicago - Loved my meal here. This restaurant group is great- Avec is one of my favorite dining experiences I've ever had with my wife.

62. Le Pigeon, Portland, Ore. - Another winner- best bone marrow I've ever eaten.

60. Gotham Bar And Grill, New York City - Had to be reminded I ate here.

53. Roberta???s, Brooklyn, N.Y. - Laughably high. Great vibe- GREAT outside in the summer- but food is ... good? Worst olives I've ever had, good pizza but there is a lot better to be had in Brooklyn, let alone NYC.

48. Arthur Bryant's, Kansas City, Mo. - Popular BBQ... does that actually mean good? Doesn't stand out among other BBQ I've eaten...

42. Slanted Door, San Francisco - Enjoyed the hell out of my meal here... Now, I just try to hit Out The Door when staying downtown.

41. Husk, Charleston, S.C. - Ate here in January, mind was blown. Spec-fucking-tacular meal, cannot recommend this highly enough. GO. Read the New Yorker article on Sean Brock, and GO. And, drink all the bourbons you can. Great service, great environment, great drinks, GREAT food.

38. The Little Owl, New York City - Spent two Thanksgivings here, and would've gone back for a third if we didn't have a kid, and have to go back to more traditional Thanksgiving. Love this restaurant, highly recommended, get the sliders...

27. Katz's Deli, New York City - Ha, giggle... 27th?

25. Animal, Los Angeles - Had a ball here... Took a friend who didn't do adventurous eating, and he just went with the whole thing. Great food, and really enjoyed my meal here. Loud as hell.

24. WD-50, New York City - Ate here in August. Felt four years past it's prime... Tired.

20. Cochon, New Orleans - Highest possible recommendation. Had lunches and dinners here... Will be enjoying another meal there later this month.

14. Babbo, New York City - Totally underwhelmed.

12. Pok Pok, Portland, Ore. - Fun meal, I loved it, wife could not hang with the spice... Boar collar was incredible. Can't help but think their NYC location will suffer from a change in atmosphere. I'll eat there, though.

9. Gramercy Tavern, New York City - Perfectly rated- consistent, stellar service while capable of humor, and I've virtually memorized their old pastry chef's dessert cookbook.

8. Momofuku Ss??m, New York City - Hm... Pretty high... I do ride for Chang, though. Enjoyed the hell out Ma Peche last night.

3. Chez Panisse, Berkeley, Calif. - Enjoyed it... Seems really high, and probably existing on reputation. Haven't been in years, but I'd probably prefer some Cheeseboard Pizza at this point.

Gareth........recommend a good Bar-B-Q spot or two please.

I'll travel far for good bar-B-Q

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts
    101. La Grenouille, New York City - Never been, but a dinosaur of French Cuisine, and I can't imagine it's executed well enough to elevate it above 101 more interesting restaurants in NYC in 2012 though I could be wrong

95. SriPraPhai, Queens, N.Y. - ??? Maybe top 50 in Queens...7-10 years ago?

89. Tertulia, New York City - This just opened a few months ago. There's buzz from his other restaurants, and he got glowing 2* NYT review, but it would be better placed in top NEW restaurants of 2011-2012

60. Gotham Bar And Grill, New York City - Another dinosaur, but 2011 3* NYT review may confirm position. Menu is boring Green Market New American, Asian influence etc....

57. The Dutch, New York City - I've worked for Andrew so I'm biased. Eaten here and it's good plus great feel. Safely Top 50 New Restaurants 2011-2012.

56. Osteria Morini, New York City - I haven't been but ate at Convivio when he was partner/chef. Not great and poorly executed but can see appeal. I'm sure he was not in kitchen.

53. Roberta???s, Brooklyn, N.Y. - I don't get it although I do understand the DIY appeal and trend. It's Bushwick, it's an empty lot turned garden, "foraged" food, etc. Pizza and bread are amazing---real bakers here and oven is true Italian import brick for brick. Toppings need work and lack balance. Also, pizza is separate kitchen and crew from "a la carte" kitchen. Chef is not formally trained and it shows. It's free associative plates of aged meats and tasteless vegetables and purees. I once received an entire lamb saddle, bone-in roasted whole with belly flaps intact. It was over salted and I was choking on the fat and sinew. People are like, "he's reinventing how we eat" when in actuality he just doesn't know how to butcher it. This is true and people are confused. I know Carlo, he's a good guy, I wish him the best. I'm just saying.

47. Minetta Tavern, New York City - This is a bold spot. This is a REALLY good restaurant and I know a lot of people who have worked/work here. Once of my best meals of 2011. The black label Burger is probably better than any piece of Beef you will receive at Peter Lugers. Still, #47 in the country? I'll put it in the top 100 though

46. The Modern, New York City - Never been, heard good things. 46 though?

44. Locanda Verde, New York City - Good. I wonder if Ciano is not better rival? Conspicuously absent from list.

43. Masa, New York City - who really knows. I did try to get a job here once though. I was only white guy except for one other guy and no one would even talk to me or acknowledge me except for that guy. There were 13 or 14 cooks and only 3 lunch covers. and only 1 dude was allowed to make the rice and Masa and and his Disciples would just wander through the kitchen with these giant wooden rice paddles like they were going to beat you with them any second. The walk-in was a complete disaster with prob over $5000 in inventory of japanese vegetables, herbs, fish, roe, etc. and no one seemed to belly up to try and deal with organizing it. I was asked to cut these perfect 1'2 in medallions of kurobuta pork loin and later discovered they were only for the staff meal. Must be nice.

38. The Little Owl, New York City - still?

37. Del Posto, New York City - would love to try.

36. Zuni Cafe, San Francisco - in 2012?

35. Inn at Little Washington, Washington, Va. - in 2012?

34. Le Bec-Fin, Philadelphia - in 2012?

27. Katz's Deli, New York City - Come on

24. WD-50, New York City - No one I've ever known who has eaten here has not left looking for the nearest corner slice. I'm not joking and yes I've known quite a few people.

21. Marea, New York City - Again is Michael White there everyday? Is this consistent?

19. Daniel, New York City - Still?

18. Peter Luger, Brooklyn, N.Y. - I don't know....There's SO many other steakhouses in NY and across the country, and it's just not this exclusive anymore. I'll bet Minetta Tavern could go toe to toe, and when you consider 20 other items on Minetta menu blow Luger out of the water i'm tempted to say this is another restaurant of the past (to name a few others listed here)

14. Babbo, New York City - Still?

13. Blue Hill Stone Barns, Pocantico Hills, N.Y. - Eaten here twice. Not at all impressed. Tasting menu not well constructed or thought out. For example yogurt was base to 2 consecutive salads of mostly raw vegetables. And both were not memorable. Tepid typical "slow cooked egg" over tepid bean ragout. underseasoned and cold by second bite. Blue Hill NYC much better executed. But farm is absolutely beautiful and it's so cool to just walk around it whether you choose to eat there or not. And dining room is sweet. it's almost worth it just to anticipate the meal you anticipate having. Maybe I just had 2 off nights? It's a lot of money to take a 3rd chance though

11. L'Atelier de Jo??l Robouchon, New York City - too hard to get reservation and too many other restaurants out there

9. Gramercy Tavern, New York City - Pretty good for volume they do. Really good place for out-of-towner to get into NY. #9?? No way.

8. Momofuku Ss??m, New York City - Went when they opened. Not memorable. Momofuku overrated. You're down or you're not. I maintain the latter.

7. Per Se, New York City - Can't say

4. Eleven Madison Park, New York City - Last meal was 5 years ago. Meal was 50% out of this world 50% forgettable. Since then they've received 2 more stars and plenty of accolades. Wine recommendation was unbelievable and probably one of the top 5 wines I've ever had.

3. Chez Panisse, Berkeley, Calif. - in 2012?

2. Alinea, Chicago - I'm not into this and observe more gimmick than anything. Can anyone speak on this? objectively?

1. Le Bernardin, - So much hype after so long. Seems too good to be true. I'd love to try though.

• Rockadelic said:

This will not blow minds, but the best single dish I've ever had for BBQ is the brisket at Salt Lick.

I feel like I haven't been to that many out-of-the-way-secret-squirrel BBQ joints- Arthur Bryant's is good, just seemed really arbitrary.

Sorry for the let down? Would love to explore with you if I end up in Big D anytime...

gareth said:
    Rockadelic said:

This will not blow minds, but the best single dish I've ever had for BBQ is the brisket at Salt Lick.

I feel like I haven't been to that many out-of-the-way-secret-squirrel BBQ joints- Arthur Bryant's is good, just seemed really arbitrary.

Sorry for the let down? Would love to explore with you if I end up in Big D anytime...

I have two spots to take you to....let me know if this happens.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    le bec fin got shredded recently by philly's foremost food critic and downgraded. its widely acknowledged that there are a half dozen better fancy restaurants in town.

sneakyp, you a chef?

• tripledouble said:
    le bec fin got shredded recently by philly's foremost food critic and downgraded. its widely acknowledged that there are a half dozen better fancy restaurants in town.

sneakyp, you a chef?

LBF chef retired the other day due to said review.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    daaaaamn. the power of the press. fancy food world is a tough game

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    daaaaamn. the power of the press. fancy food world is a tough game
    Having worked at one of the top 10 restaurants on that list. Ish is no joke. Super high stress + having super famous diners every night. People are not messing around.