UPS Damage Claim ?

DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
edited December 2011 in Strut Central
Has anyone ever filed a claim with UPS for a damaged or missing delivery? Any luck?

This is such a clusterf*ck, I can't even explain it all, but to abridge it for you:
I ordered a $1000 piece of equipment.
UPS showed up, rang my doorbell to make sure i was there, i came to the door and watched dude DROP the 100lb box off the truck landing on the corner.
I figured it was probably going to be ok, signed for it got it in and opened it up to find the corner dinged and cracked.
I immediately filed my claim. Now UPS will not discuss any aspects of the claim with me. The shipper does not even know the claim exists, and I'm left holding the bill.

Comments

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    No telling if the driver's drop was the one that broke it, but probably not. An average UPS package is touched by 17 angry employees on its journey. That four or five cared about your package would be on the high end.
    Unfortunately, you signed for this. Was it insured? UPS will say that you signing for it meant you were cool with it. As soon as you sign, it's out of their hands. I think you could get something like 250 bucks, but might not be worth the time and effort of documenting and waiting on the phone. Especially at this time of year.
    If you're famous enough, you might be able to take it to twitter.
    Sucks.
    I try to avoid UPS around this time. I've seen beyond the hanging plastic flappy door things.

but absolutely making a claim is a must if you want some compensation. Do it, and hope you get to deal with human beings who can do something about it. UPS sees fraudulent claims, bitching old people with nothing better to do claims, all sorts of shit. If yours has merit, and you're willing to put up with the frustration, you'll be treated better than those.

If you have an shipping account, or have influence over your work's shipping practices, threatening to switch to FedEx is remarkably powerful.

I dunno. A thousand dollars is a lot.

• good luck...

• dukeofdelridge said:
    UPS will say that you signing for it meant you were cool with it. As soon as you sign, it's out of their hands.

that's ridiculous -- it's not like you can open the box and inspect the contents before you sign for it. good luck.

For what it is worth, I've recently had pretty good luck dealing with major corporations by going straight to the top and contacting vice presidents directly. Usually a few minutes on google can get you some important folks' email addresses.

• I did claims for a shipping business for a number of years and a very large number of claims with UPS. Here's what you got to do. Contact the shipper ASAP. Typically the shipper is the one that must go through with the claim process (at least it was for us). I assume the shipper insured the package for the $1000 it was worth? You will have to provide UPS with the proof of value for the item (whatever documentation of purchase you have should suffice). They will probably also try to hit you with the "insufficiently packed" bullshit. Keep the packaging (box, styrofoam, bubble wrap, whatever you have) until the claim is finished. UPS will do a packaging inspection, typically they will just send their normal driver to either collect the package or verify the damage and packaging. Take photos of whatever damage their is so you can e-mail it to the claims people. Basically they will try to get out of paying this, but if you make sure to stay on it you should be able to get your money plus your shipping cost back...in like a month. That's my experience anyway. 1-800-PICK-UPS ---Hit ZERO until you talk to an actual person and then ask to speak to claims. Give 'em hell.