Working Dj's: Serious Serato Problem

sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,132 Posts
edited October 2011 in Strut Central
Hi Strutters,

I know this might not be the right place for my post, but I searched the forums on the serato site and I am pretty much alone with this (aka all the people I know never had this) so here is what happened:

During 2 of my last 3 sets Serato freezed my mac and I had to restart it (just reopening Serato did not cut it). One time it freezed on the left turntable, one time on the right, always resulting in the cursor of the file dropping all the way to end of the file and the sound being dead. Now I had the very same problem on my old G4 (I am now on a 2 year old mac book pro 15") and it was always with different Serato boxes, different turntables, different needles, different records, so the only constant was the laptop. Now it was very warm in the club and the last time it crashed, it alwas crashed when fog came on and started approaching my laptop. But it happened earlier also in not so hot clubs.

Furthermore, most of the times I used my 2nd USB port, it did crash, now it also crashed on the first one (I assume this one has more power)...anyone ever experienced something like this?

Any ideas would be highly appreciated, and once again, sorry if I step on anyones toes here in this place by asking for some help...I know this is not a tech forum, but I know there are enough working dj's on here so I thought I might give it a shot...thanks in advance for any help...

  Comments


  • Play Vinyl & you wont suffer from any laptop/technology crashes

  • serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    It can well be that the heat was too much for the laptop. Try one of those additional cooling pads that you can slap onto the bottom, maybe it'll help

  • doomdoom 305 Posts
    maybe the internal fan in the laptop stopped working? or something stopping the airflow?

    you can seriously damage your internal hd if your laptop gets too warm. if you play music stored on the internal drive maybe get an external drive instead. so your internal hd wount heat up your laptop that much.

  • sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,132 Posts
    Ronan909 said:
    Play Vinyl & you wont suffer from any laptop/technology crashes

    Do you breakdance?


    ----------

    Thanks for your suggestions, guys. I will check everything and will inform Serato Support. Yesterday everything went fine.

  • DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    sticky_dojah said:
    Ronan909 said:
    Play Vinyl & you wont suffer from any laptop/technology crashes

    Do you breakdance?


    ----------

    Thanks for your suggestions, guys. I will check everything and will inform Serato Support. Yesterday everything went fine.
    using an external will always make serato more stable. have you tried reinstalling the application?

  • sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,132 Posts
    Possum Tom said:
    sticky_dojah said:
    Ronan909 said:
    Play Vinyl & you wont suffer from any laptop/technology crashes

    Do you breakdance?


    ----------

    Thanks for your suggestions, guys. I will check everything and will inform Serato Support. Yesterday everything went fine.
    using an external will always make serato more stable. have you tried reinstalling the application?

    Interesting. Never thought that an external would make it more stable. I finally installed the newest Serato version and will play directly out of Serato and not run my Itunes through Serato anymore. As said, yesterday went really well. Then again, it wasn't that hot...

  • DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    sticky_dojah said:
    Possum Tom said:
    sticky_dojah said:
    Ronan909 said:
    Play Vinyl & you wont suffer from any laptop/technology crashes

    Do you breakdance?


    ----------

    Thanks for your suggestions, guys. I will check everything and will inform Serato Support. Yesterday everything went fine.
    using an external will always make serato more stable. have you tried reinstalling the application?

    Interesting. Never thought that an external would make it more stable. I finally installed the newest Serato version and will play directly out of Serato and not run my Itunes through Serato anymore. As said, yesterday went really well. Then again, it wasn't that hot...
    if your files are on the same hard drive that is doing the processing, it is doing 2 jobs. if your files are on an external, your computer can allocate more to processing making it more stable.

    i would recommend getting two externals, and duplicating one on the other. that way you are all backed up, and can recover if one gets damaged or dies on you.

  • DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Possum Tom said:
    sticky_dojah said:
    Possum Tom said:
    sticky_dojah said:
    Ronan909 said:
    Play Vinyl & you wont suffer from any laptop/technology crashes

    Do you breakdance?


    ----------

    Thanks for your suggestions, guys. I will check everything and will inform Serato Support. Yesterday everything went fine.
    using an external will always make serato more stable. have you tried reinstalling the application?

    Interesting. Never thought that an external would make it more stable. I finally installed the newest Serato version and will play directly out of Serato and not run my Itunes through Serato anymore. As said, yesterday went really well. Then again, it wasn't that hot...
    if your files are on the same hard drive that is doing the processing, it is doing 2 jobs. if your files are on an external, your computer can allocate more to processing making it more stable.

    i would recommend getting two externals, and duplicating one on the other. that way you are all backed up, and can recover if one gets damaged or dies on you.

    I'm way behind on Serato updates...have they made it so that you can do the external thing if you sync Serato with iTunes?

  • DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    you can do that on any version of serato. just need to tell itunes where to look for the files

  • z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    Possum Tom said:

    if your files are on the same hard drive that is doing the processing, it is doing 2 jobs. if your files are on an external, your computer can allocate more to processing making it more stable.

    Nitpicking, but this is incorrect. Transfer and processing are two completely different pipes. Assuming your external is usb2 and your internal is sata, the internal is a lot faster. In addition, simply plugging a usb device into a computer eats processing resources.

    Neither situation is ideal, but as an IT person before a dj, djing with a laptop is not wise (unless it has 2 internal drives and some super cooling).

    All this shit is negligible in reality though.

  • DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    z_illa said:
    Possum Tom said:

    if your files are on the same hard drive that is doing the processing, it is doing 2 jobs. if your files are on an external, your computer can allocate more to processing making it more stable.

    Nitpicking, but this is incorrect. Transfer and processing are two completely different pipes. Assuming your external is usb2 and your internal is sata, the internal is a lot faster. In addition, simply plugging a usb device into a computer eats processing resources.

    Neither situation is ideal, but as an IT person before a dj, djing with a laptop is not wise (unless it has 2 internal drives and some super cooling).

    All this shit is negligible in reality though.
    firewire
Sign In or Register to comment.