Domino = Vastly Underrated Producer

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited September 2011 in Strut Central
Ran across my Extra Prolific Brown Sugar 12" last night and was duly reminded just how much I liked Domino's productions for Hieroglyphics at least during that '93-'94 window of time. It was mostly simplistic jazz-loops material, but effective nonetheless...

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

He had a real knack for matching up breaks with jazz loops. But once that sound fell out of favor....

• Yeah, I always liked his shit.

He had some joints on the first Hiero LP too:

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:

He had a real knack for matching up breaks with jazz loops. But once that sound fell out of favor....

This could easily turn into a Diamond D thread.

HarveyCanal said:
    DJ_Enki said:

Hahaha!

But let's stick with Domino's joints for now. Like this one:

I loved the fuck out of that Souls album when it first dropped.

HarveyCanal said:
    I loved the fuck out of that Souls album when it first dropped.

Ditto--that thing was in constant rotation. But it's been quite a long time since I last listened to it--"93 Til Infinity" has become such an unbearable cliche of the golden-era rap DJ set that it soured me on hearing the album ever again (No Need for Alarm and Fear Itself still get some occasional burn, though). But maybe I'll give it another spin and just skip the title track.

• I swam through my own lake of hate on this shit but it all sounds amazing to me again.

Yes, just hearing "dial the 7 digits, call up Bridget, her man's a midget" alone makes me want to dive face-first through an iron door.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Did I hear correctly that Domino used to work at the Groove Merchant in the mid-90s?

I know that back during their heyday, he was the handler of all Hiero business and did a great job of it too. Good dude, that one.

• musica said:
    Did I hear correctly that Domino used to work at the Groove Merchant in the mid-90s?

I don't think it was the mid-90s since the Souls' album came out in (duh) '93. I think the GM situation was before that.

Domino had lived in an apartment behind the original GM with a door that opened into the store, as I understand it. He might've picked up a shift here or there. TD of Bored Stiff also spent a lot of time in there.

T-Mor from Elements Of Change inherited the apartment, but was not given a key to the store. Haha.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    TD of Bored Stiff also spent a lot of time in there.

RIP.

And talk about a tape that used to get lots of run in my box...Explainin.

• HarveyCanal said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

RIP.

You're thinking of Big Kwanz (RIP).

TD is the producer & DJ, he's still around. Has a studio in West Oakland, does work for some of the young turfy dudes in addition to new projects by Stiff alumni

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

RIP.

You're thinking of Big Kwanz (RIP).

TD is the producer & DJ, he's still around. Has a studio in West Oakland, does work for some of the young turfy dudes in addition to new projects by Stiff alumni

Oof, my bad. I had the names straight, but for some reason was thinking that TD passed in addition to Kwanz. Sorry, dude...may you live to 120.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I swam through my own lake of hate on this shit

Now that's a location if I've ever seen one

• Domino is also a cool, humble cat. I like his work on At the Helm with a nice Southside Movement flip.

Side note=A plus is also an underrated producer.

• DJ_Enki said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

paraphrased Saafir from "Pull Ya Card" (which was, incidentally, aimed at Hiero).

• DJ_Enki said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

copped

• Two things:

1) Thanks for this--nice to hear a few of those old joints again. You know full well how much rotation all that shit got in Austin in the Before Time.

2) TD Camp is a great dude and one helluva DJ, to boot.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    DJ_Enki said:

Diamond D didnt get locked into that "era".

overflo said:
    Side note=A plus is also an underrated producer.

Del and Casual were banging out some dope beats back then, too. Hell, Snupe made this one:

But Domino was the best of the bunch, I think.

• That Bored Stiff Explainin' LP was so fresh at the time. Another indie record from that era that I love is the Blak Forest album but I know little to nothing about them.

and cosign on Domino and especially the Extra Prolific album.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    DJ_Enki said:

Diamond D didnt get locked into that "era".

agreed. diamond is one of the few old guys still working well when compared to alot of his peers from 'the golden era'

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    musica said:

I don't think it was the mid-90s since the Souls' album came out in (duh) '93. I think the GM situation was before that.

Domino had lived in an apartment behind the original GM with a door that opened into the store, as I understand it. He might've picked up a shift here or there. TD of Bored Stiff also spent a lot of time in there.

Domino was living in the back when I started working there in 1990 and had moved out by the time I left in 1993.

IIRC, Domino's whole connection with Hiero came about through the store because Dante Ross used to come through when he was in town and they hit it off. Dante then introduced Domino to the Hieroglyphics and the rest was history.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I don't remember whether Domino was responsible for it, but I always liked this particular Extra Pro remix. Anyone know whose version of First Thing I Do In The Morning got hooked up on this?

There's been a tendency in some quarters to dismiss Hiero as a result of them having become (possibly unwilling) exemplars of all things backpacker-related, a view I don't necessarily share. The stuff they're doing nowadays isn't quite so vital, but their peak-era material has held up as well as anything else from the same period.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    He produced what may be my favorite Hiero track :

This thread got me to pull out the 93 Til Infinity album for the first time in...I dunno, at least a decade last night, and yup, that shit is great. Just skip the title track, and you're good to go.

A-Plus did his thing with this beat:

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    I don't remember whether Domino was responsible for it, but I always liked this particular Extra Pro remix. Anyone know whose version of First Thing I Do In The Morning got hooked up on this?

There's been a tendency in some quarters to dismiss Hiero as a result of them having become (possibly unwilling) exemplars of all things backpacker-related, a view I don't necessarily share. The stuff they're doing nowadays isn't quite so vital, but their peak-era material has held up as well as anything else from the same period.

I love that remix too but i am pretty sure Large Pro didn't do it. The loop be the one James Moody.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    jammy said:
    DocMcCoy said:

I love that remix too but i am pretty sure Large Pro didn't do it. The loop be the one James Moody.

Thank you, that's been bugging me for a long time.

BTW, I meant Extra Pro as in Extra Prolific, rather than Large Pro/Extra P.

• Extra Prolific's "2 for 15" tape is really worth a listen.