Lost/Stolen Recs Support Group

Funky_MimizuFunky_Mimizu 631 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
It's 9am Japan time... Just got home from the police station. Had a gig tonight, and after loading shit into my car at about 4:30am, went out to eat. When I got home, which was a chore, falling asleep at the wheel for the 25 minute drive... I notice my record bag isnt in my car... How can this be?

Call my buddies, not in their car... Realize that when they were helping me load my shit, I set my record bag against a storefront... Fuck.

Have my buddy go check, cause he lives closer... Not there... Decide to drive all the way back to see with my own eyes... Not there... It's a semi-busy street, so I'm sure someone took it.

Go to the police station which is just around the corner... not a koban, but a city police station... File a report that will no doubt be filed away.

I am afraid to look the records in my flight case, and cardboard box... don't want to find out whats missing... I know its a mix of Japanese raers, old shit I'll have a helluva time finding again for cheap, and hip-hop.

On top of the records, my Sony headphones, and my only three needles in a case. And I'm broke, so no music for about a month for me...

A couple nice lessons learned though:

1. Stop being such a fuckin' scatter-brain...

2. Don't bring so many fucking records, when I end up playing like a third of them...

3. The importance of detachment from material possesions... I feel pretty shitty right now.

Misery loves company... Anyone else lose shit or get it stolen?
Oh... Any tips for reacquisition?

Peace...
FNM

Comments

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    or get it stolen?

see chargeback thread

Oh... Any tips for reacquisition?

check out stores/pawns nearby, they will most likely end up there. of course that's assuming a dj didn't 'find' your bag.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    so sorry for your loss,
    i know the feeling

a couple of shows ago in austin,
    i left a bag of raers & my best portable on the car roof,
    took off down the highwat access road & saw stuff flying off in the rearview,
    killer 10" promo from "faster pussy cat kill kill" movie
    (w/ music & russ interview)
    & a few others were ruined,
    but the portable is still spinning

1-don't put shit on the car roof
    2- always check the car roof
    3- don't put shit on the car roof
    4 - its just records, plenty more out there

• aw, man, i'm sorry. I KNOW HOW BAD THAT SUCKS. one of the worst days of my life was about five years ago when i left a box of records on the subway in new york...i tried quickly to remember what was in there and write everything down...but for months if not years i'd have these revelations like "shit, i haven't seen [fill in title of raer 45] in months! it must have been in the box! d'oh!"

in the box was "the hatch" by the tmg's, blah blah blah....rare-ass funk and soul 45s, plus some commons. they never turned up in the "collectors' world" as far as i know.

i wrote an article about it a few weeks later here: http://newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/arts/music/features/3314/

i wish you luck in finding or replacing your lost stuff.

m

• "Think the guys in High Fidelity are nutty obscurantists? Trust me: They've never heard of my records."

Dress

P.S. What's up FineWine? Remember me?

• Its a bummer but you just have to let it go or it eats you up...

Lost a case of records in Newcastle Train Station the next day after my "mate" gave me E's Mixed with Seroxat (anti-depresent), belive me i need them after losing my tunes.

Nothing compairs to finewines loss, makes my balls tighten whenever i hear that story, almost did that myself on the london tube but the finewine lesson always makes me double/triple check now, so Mat's loss served as a good lesson.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    That store you left your reckids outside - see if they or any other place has some CCTV you can check out.

You'll be able to be quite accurate with the time it happened.

Just an idea.

Its some unfortunate shit, but it was an accident on your part (which is a good thing - at least it was your doing - not some other dude blatantly jacking them directly from you yaoming? You'd feel worse then.)

• Well according to the guide books if you lose something on the street in JP its more likely to be handed in to a koban than it is for a person to keep the lost items.
    I hope this ends out being true rather than a misconception.

I saw a documentary about Japanese business men who would carry millions of Yen in a brief case on the subways and even put them in the above head luggage storage because quite simply nobody would steal them! Oh thus was pre-recession but lest hope the honesty hold through

Hope this story has a happy ending.

• And man if you haven???t already go back in ask all the stores in that street if they had shit handed in or not.

• It's always a good idea to get a list to as many local record stores as you can.Just list whatever you can remember and what the box or bag looks like.I got a customers DJ bag full of records back the same day he give me the list.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    my roomate left a bag on a train in japan when he was drunk, it had some expensive bits and pieces in it, the next day a dude who found it on the train came all the way to our house to drop it off!!! I think you'll be in luck my man... hit me on the PM with a list of any Japanese stuff you're after, I'll sort you out.

Keep ya' head up!

B

• Thanks for the kind words from everyone. Nothings turned up yet, and I'm doubtful they will. My pal lost his wallet, and he got it back, but months later minus all the cash, and fished out of a river.

Anyhow... the reason I'm skeptical is the police station is 24 hours, and it was right there. I've already talked to some record stores... I'm more worried they will get taken to a recycle shop, and I know the dudes would be like fuck off if I said "yo, those are my records!".

Anyhow... we'll see, and thanks for the support. And Finewine, I'm about to read that article, sounds very sad...

Peace...
    FNM

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    Wow man that sucks dude I'm sorry.

Someone (obviously cooler than me) on here was recently making fun of me for my stamps. Just a suggestion but if they were tagged at least you could know if they ever turn up somewhere. I recently stamped 600 records and donated them to various thrift stores. Within a week there was a post here about someone finding them etc... Also people I know were coming up to me and stuff saying they found them and then some dude bought the rest and tried to flip em at the swap meet and I heard about that too. If those records had been stolen, I could have easily found the source and made sure they had a bad day. Granted Japan is rediculously huge compared to my little city.

The stamps I use for the giveaway records are more like an advertisement. I am now thinking of having smaller less intrusive stamps made for my personal collection/raers etc. The ink I use is very permanent on just about any surface regardless how porous. I have found that stamping on the actual brown cardboard inside of the jacket is very descreet and only visible to those who are looking for it. If the thief is desperate enough to throw away the covers, you could always stamp the labels too I suppose. I know they do make white ink also which could be stamped in the runout groove if desired.

The place that does my stamps also makes custom embossers which I have also considered. This would leave a permanent depression of my choice (letters, logo, etc..) in the cardboard similar to the promotional embossers used by Prestige and others in the 70's (check yo collection).

Anyway I'm just saying that whatever your method it cannot be all that bad an idea to ID your shiaaattt folks!

my .2??

I really hope your stuff turns up soon man.

• Damn... Yokatta!

I just got a call at work from the police station...

My bag was found in a park!

I guess the records are still in the bag, but I'm a little worried since it must've sat in the park for a few days. Not good in the Japanese summer heat.

I'm hoping it was found the next morning, but they waited until Monday, today, to call me.

Damn...

to the Japanese police. I was skeptical, but they came through.

Peace...
    FNM

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    thats crazy, congrats. the japanese police are on it. I remember in that book "Rising Sun" Crighton said that Japanese police solve 99% of homicides, while in the states its like 20%. Crazy. Congrats.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    congrats man! thats rad you got em back, hope they're all still in good shape.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Not good in the Japanese summer heat.

hope they're ok man.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    thats crazy! so everything's well ? all there ?

congrats.

• aw, man, i'm sorry. I KNOW HOW BAD THAT SUCKS. one of the worst days of my life was about five years ago when i left a box of records on the subway in new york...i tried quickly to remember what was in there and write everything down...but for months if not years i'd have these revelations like "shit, i haven't seen [fill in title of raer 45] in months! it must have been in the box! d'oh!"

in the box was "the hatch" by the tmg's, blah blah blah....rare-ass funk and soul 45s, plus some commons. they never turned up in the "collectors' world" as far as i know.

i wrote an article about it a few weeks later here: http://newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/arts/music/features/3314/

i wish you luck in finding or replacing your lost stuff.

m

Awww man...don't remind me. I get all choked up when I hear this..