Music Melon (reissue label) - what is the deal?

RishanRishan 454 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
has anyone heard of them/know anything about them? their website has no information at all. online searches brings up very little info either. and the prices are all so cheap, how is it possible? i don't understand about licensing, but does this look dodgy to you? hank mobley 8 classic albums about 1/10th the price of the mosaic box set. and strange that it comes out just after mosaic released theirs. some of the releases look very tempting though... i do wonder about the quality and legitimacy

http://www.musicmelon.co.uk/

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    If I'm not mistaken, the UK now only recognizes copyrights for 50 years, after which material becomes Public Domain.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:bwUNx0c8WwcJ:www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p01_uk_copyright_law+uk+copyright+laws+50+years&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com

Everything I looked at on their site was over 50 years old (I couldn't find the Mobley set, though).

Still really cheap - 4 CD set for 8 pounds? Their website sucks, I imagine the product does also ("remastered and enhanced"?).

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Still really cheap - 4 CD set for 8 pounds? Their website sucks, I imagine the product does also ("remastered and enhanced"?).

i know, right?! 8 quid. my thoughts exactly. i don't get a good feeling about them at all. their packaging/design sucks too. i think the hank mobley is a brand new release, or not quite out yet. i've seen a few on amazon uk that are not advertised on the website yet, which is bonkers if you ask me. the one review on amazon is actually quite favourable, and by someone who sounds like he has decent common sense. anyway, since it is so cheap (3 quid for a dbl cd ffs), i might try one and report back .

thanks for the info on the 50 years thing. so anyone can just put anything out if it falls into that category?

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    update: i got one of these Real Gone Jazz series (Lee Morgan - four of his 50's albums on a 2cd set. i was in the market for some Morgan as my other post shows!). came in the mail today. i think it was around ??5 inc p+p. incredible for 4 albums.

now i'm absolutely no audiophile, but i can tell the difference between what comes out of my computer speakers and from the hi-fi. i really don't hear what those guys who shit on the RVG remasters are talking about, so this sounds fine to me.

yes they look rubbish and no one seems to know anything about the label (do they?), but the product is okay. i hope they're a decent company...

• I just got their Little Richard box, $8 on Amazon.
    The packaging is pathetic, no info apart from titles & sources. Not even lp cover shots.
    The sound is un-screwed-with mono, sounds maybe a bit dull. A little EQ fixed that.
    Overall, can't beat it for the cost.