Bitcoin

2»

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    FortyFivan said:
    These assholes all need to go away...

yep. this pretty much sums up all that is wrong with SF at the moment. basically about 1M of the rapgenius douchebags.

I'm not interested in your product if it has anything to do with social. actually, if it even has a consumer-facing angle I'm not sure I'm interested. if you're solving a tech problem, great; more power to you. otherwise miss me.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    I'm not interested in your product if it has anything to do with social. actually, if it even has a consumer-facing angle I'm not sure I'm interested. if you're solving a tech problem, great; more power to you. otherwise miss me.

^^^^^ This.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    im not a lawyer but here's some legal advice:

probably don't want to announce that you're planning on stealing your old job's customers on a public forum

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    FortyFivan said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

^^^^^ This. I bailed on consumer a while back... pretty much only dealing with Enterprise and Government contracts right now in LatAm and Africa. We should link up soon man... I'm actually in the process of leaving my company (finally) and taking my customers with me as my own independent consulting/development agency. I could use some legal advice!

yeah man let's catch up soon.

PatrickCrazy said:
    im not a lawyer but here's some legal advice:

probably don't want to announce that you're planning on stealing your old job's customers on a public forum

Ha... good point. That part is already done, so no harm no foul there. On to the next phase.

Thanks to the mod for the delete... and thanks to **** for the heads up... good to know folks still look out for each other around here.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Silk Road

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Silk Road
    I signed up a little while ago and had my mind officially blown. Has anyone utilised it? Feel free to PM if appropriate!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Kinetic said:
    RAJ said:
    Silk Road
    I signed up a little while ago and had my mind officially blown. Has anyone utilised it? Feel free to PM if appropriate!

I tried to... but the hoops for the bit coin are way too much. The Alaskan Thunderfuck looked nice.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Kinetic said:
    RAJ said:
    Silk Road

I tried to... but the hoops for the bit coin are way too much. The Alaskan Thunderfuck looked nice.

Yeah, I read about the Bitcoin setup and it seemed complicated as fuck. I was there for a certain something that is quite expensive over here compared with other parts of the world.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    yep. this pretty much sums up all that is wrong with SF at the moment. basically about 1M of the rapgenius douchebags.

that's painful to watch .

I'm really impressed B started a Bitcoin thread so long ago, dude has his ear to the ground. I wonder what his inevitable YC application will look like, probably something left field and eye opening.

• still don't get it

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts

• dukeofdelridge said:

i was talking about bitCoin and how it's going to replace cash., since it's at least partially backed by cash.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I am with you.

• if they replace real money with being good at math, will the dweebs and waldos of tomorrow be taking MY lunch money? will athletes be getting paid in bitcoins? because we all know when i say "math loving computer hackers" the first thing you think is "football"......

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    it should be noted that if you went out and spent $1000 on bitcoin when this thread was started, it would be worth like 53k today....

• thrope said:
    it should be noted that if you went out and spent $1000 on bitcoin when this thread was started, it would be worth like 53k today....

Would definitely be eatin' beandip offa Stark in that case

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Been reading about the recent crash.
    What is clear is that bitcoin is not currency, or a replacement for currency.
    Bitcoin is an unregulated commodity. A commodity that unlike gold or coin, does not exist.

This is a good investment for people who are getting back on their feet after their Madoff investments went south.

• It wasn't a crash it was a theft. One of the major exchange sites halted all withdrawls, and went completely dark on Tuesday. They have also deleted their entire twitter history and have instructed any remaining staff to not talk to any press regarding the incident.

So basically, everyone who had bitcoins with them can no longer access them, and their lack of response to questioning does not paint a good picture of any of their users getting their bitcoins back.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/02/25/282384924/bitcoin-exchange-mt-gox-goes-dark-after-theft-report

• thrope said:
    it should be noted that if you went out and spent $1000 on bitcoin when this thread was started, it would be worth like half an ounce of porcupine ejaculate today....

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    prof_rockwell said:
    It wasn't a crash it was a theft. One of the major exchange sites halted all withdrawls, and went completely dark on Tuesday. They have also deleted their entire twitter history and have instructed any remaining staff to not talk to any press regarding the incident.

So basically, everyone who had bitcoins with them can no longer access them, and their lack of response to questioning does not paint a good picture of any of their users getting their bitcoins back.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/02/25/282384924/bitcoin-exchange-mt-gox-goes-dark-after-theft-report

Not only theft, but due to a glitch, there are allegations by Mt.Gox of people being able to "double dip," ie getting more bitcoins than they were entitled to.