UK/European Dealers-Buyers MIA On West Coast

esskayesskay 221 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central
I like many here sell @ the area record shows. On the west coast (California) in the last 10 years we have seen the disappearance of 95% of buyers/dealers from the UK & Europe-also Japanese people are still coming but not in the numbers of years past. I am assuming this happened because of a combination of the recession, travel distance to the west coast, stores closing, Serato, reissues, etc. To my east coast dealers are these people still coming to the east coast shows/stores & to my folks in the UK/Europe what is the reason behind this? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    In the early 90s I was flabbergasted to see Japanese stores coming here and buying every copy of Songs In The Key Of Life in town. Twice a year they would come and buy 25-50 copies of that record here in Portland and then move on up and down 1-5 buying more. Japan is a small island and they already bought everything they need, so no need to keep coming back. (And they were awash in money then, now, not so much.)

On the plus the dollar is weak, on the down side, because of the internets, price have balanced so that if something is worth 25.00 euros in Belgium it is worth almost $35 in LA. No mark up. In the 90s I was shipping boxes of records to Japan and Europe because the stuff that was worth dollars there was hard to sell here. Newban? Shamek Farrah? Nobody knew, nobody cared. Today if a recorded blows up in a club in Lille and someone pays $100 for it, all the sudden everyone in the world thinks their copy is worth $100. So the deals that brought people to the states are gone.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    It's over