Dj Shadow warm up set

DaptunesDaptunes 55 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
Strutters

I'm warming up for Dj Shadow next week: what would you spin?
Preferrably something to please the Shadow fans and might raise an eyebrow from His Darkness himself.
(and here's a little SPAM - my mix for Jazzman Radio - http://www.jazzmanrecords.co.uk/v2/radio.asp)

cheers
Gerd Dj Daptunes

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Get a copy of an episode of the old radio show "The Shadow", and mix a bunch of balzing downtmepo under it.

• DaptunesDaptunes 55 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Get a copy of an episode of the old radio show "The Shadow", and mix a bunch of balzing downtmepo under it.

That's actually a great tip - oh joy!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!"

Awesome.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    dubstep

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    5 songs each of 20 genres/subgenres

batmon said:
    5 songs each of 20 genres/subgenres

Of course! But still...what songs?

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    I would warm up the crowd by playing some black sheep the choice is yours with a slick yet sick blend into the original scenario.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    House of Pain - Jump Around
    Pharcyde - Passing Me By
    Pete Rock and CL Smooth - TROY
    Gang Starr - DWYCK

...without question.

• highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
    Just bring a tape deck and play rips of the TCQ demo tape he just bought

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    highscheme said:
    Just bring a tape deck and play rips of the TCQ demo tape he just bought

That would be a nice move. And don't forget to rip the needle across the record, then play "Theme of Flash Gordon" on minus 8, do a little Call & Response with the crowd (when i say..., yall say....), give a shoutout to the fake cratedigger who's not even in the room ("Big shout to...I'ma see you dog") and then transformscratch into your Salt 45 and take it from there...

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

speak samson! haha!

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

YO, thats some top choice Harvey! Conception Records is way underrated though they put out some of the dopest 12", I ride for most of their catalogue.

to stay on topic:

• TheKindCromangTheKindCromang 1,463 Posts
    Baby Charles cover of "This Time"

finelikewine said:

this was a huuuge hit in the Lowlands btw!
    thx for all the other tips fellows
    I'm considering a dubstep-Queen-Flash-Gordon-mashup with "The Shadow" samples - should raise an eyebrow here and there

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    my advice would be to rely on your instincts, from my experience i would recommend if you want to impress play music you truly believe in, your enthusiasm for what you love is far more likely to impress than cryptic digger nerdiness

• TheKindCromangTheKindCromang 1,463 Posts
    the_dL said:
    my advice would be to rely on your instincts, from my experience i would recommend if you want to impress play music you truly believe in, your enthusiasm for what you love is far more likely to impress than cryptic digger nerdiness

That's solid advice right there

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I would play nothing but Krush tracks (Pre-2000) and play them all at -5

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Drop this schitt on em:

And this:

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    I don't think Shadow got to where he is by worrying too much about what people think. Make sure you play tunes that inspire yourself and the dance floor. He'll take notice if he likes it and if he is even in listening distance when you're working. Try to make new things happen, and the rest may follow.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    since alot of people suggested useless comments, i will suggest that it doesn't matter because shadow is no longer relevant.

• tokyobeatstokyobeats 505 Posts
    as above........I'd REALLY avoid the whole cliched "shadow" sample hype thing.......play what you feel, dont be swayed by the fact that it's Dj Shadow. I'm sure it's all good if you play from the heart ;)

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Probably not appropriate, but it would be awesome to set up dj hero and just play his portion of the game.

And on a serious note, play what you like. You must have gotten the gig for some reason.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Controller_7 said:

And on a serious note, play what you like. You must have gotten the gig for some reason.

exactly.
    and stay away from dropping his records.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    Probably not appropriate, but it would be awesome to set up dj hero and just play his portion of the game.

:next_level:

• erikbeatserikbeats 129 Posts
    warlock dark magic groove records with spacey sounds
    and you can make extra bucks after the set when he buys them all off your hands.
    or hip hop

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
    Play what you're comfortable with, what you're known for, and what makes you tick. You're an opener, and I'm sure most people are just looking to see you get up there and enjoy yourself while they wait to see the big ticket man. If you impress a few heads and make a few friends in the process, that's a bonus.....not a neccessity. Just my 2 cents