i miss hip hop. i miss my youth

RishanRishan 454 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central
i thought i grew out of hip hop, but i guess not. could those of you who have followed hip hop over the past decade please advise me on what i have missed. a friend tells me about Blu & Exile, Little Brother, Murs, Curren$y, Lupe Fiasco, some of which i have checked out and i think it's alright. so things along the same lines please, underground/independent/alternative/whatever it's called now. can't say that i have checked for any new music in more than 10 years, but the stuff i have heard from simply being exposed to modern, mainstream culture is absolutely horrendous. i don't want to turn into a music snob who only listens to decades old music. btw, this is a serious request, so abuse to be kept to a mimimum please! thanks:)

Comments

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    sucks for you bro because your youth has passed already.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Go to the Rap You're Liking thread - there are pages and pages of all kinds of sounds.

'underground/independent/alternative'
    applied more when major labels were running the show.

Grandfather said:

Wanting to relive/revive/keep alive one's youth through hip hop will lead to great disappointment and much crusty behaviour.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    the above video is a pisstake right? it's bloody awful. and i don't smoke. but that is exactly the kind of sound that put me off hip hop. dmx/ruff ryders etc.

okay i will check that thread, thanks for the pointer.

and i should say i'm not trying to recapture my youth. i'm 29 with a career and a fiancee. those days have long since passed. i just don't want to forget them and how good they were. i would like to get the feeling back and i'm tired of the same 100 albums. need some more variety and new things to listen to

Is there a law in your country that says only kids are allowed to like rap music?

If not, where are you coming up with this bs perspective of yours?

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    bassie said:
    Grandfather said:

Wanting to relive/revive/keep alive one's youth through hip hop will lead to great disappointment and much crusty behaviour.

i've kept my youth alive to some success. but i mean through hip hop culture, not rap music.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    what are you talking about? what bs perspective? i DO like rap and probably always will. i'm just sure that i've missed a lot of good records through being totally out of the loop.

djkingotto said:
    bassie said:
    Grandfather said:

i've kept my youth alive to some success. but i mean through hip hop culture, not rap music.

Can I suggest your exuberant approach to life probably has more to do with your personal attitude than hip hop culture? I mean there are some real senior whippersnappers out there who do nothing but read and brush cats (not me).

I just don't get your "recapturing your youth" thing, especially when you are a decade younger than me...just listen to some new rap music and leave it at that.

• Options
    Brother Ali -shadows of the sun

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    I just don't get your "recapturing your youth" thing, especially when you are a decade younger than me...just listen to some new rap music and leave it at that.

i love my life right now and i'm not trying to go back. just looking for some recommendations of things i wouldn't have heard about

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    i am assuming you stayed a fan of rap music in general as you got older (and ps. i would say MOST people would still consider you "youth" at 29)? how did you manage to keep the blinders up so much to not hear about any decent hip hop in the last 5 years?

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    cookbook said:
    i am assuming you stayed a fan of rap music in general as you got older (and ps. i would say MOST people would still consider you "youth" at 29)? how did you manage to keep the blinders up so much to not hear about any decent hip hop in the last 5 years?

well i lived overseas for several years in Malaysia, a country not known for its appreciation of sex, violence, drugs, opulence and indulgence! actually it wasn't that cut off, but my social circle was completely changed and i just sort of drifted away with it. yeah i always stayed a fan, but simply didn't catch anything new. the last thing i bought was PUTS or Ghostface 'Supreme Clientele'. i recently got back in touch with a friend who lent me some newer stuff, and i got a bit of a buzz back. never expected that, but it's definitely reignited something. and thanks for that comment re 29 still being 'youth', best thing i've heard for a while!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    D.E.L.E.T.E. B/W LEAVE HIP HOP ALONE.

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    Have you considered Rock & Roll? Good scene to crust away gracefully in.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Here you go bitter old guy:

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    batmon said:
    T.H.I.S.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    batmon said:

O.K.A.Y S.I.R

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    Check out The Rub's 'History of Hip-Hop' series for some great mixes of 90s classics. They made a mix for every year. I have a feeling you're not going to like the recent ones though. http://www.itstherub.com/?cat=15

PUTS came out with an album in 2009.

I liked a group called Common Market a couple years back.

Aloe Blacc is a great, but his recent album is more throwback soul from what I've heard.

Typical Cats had two releases that I liked- back in 2000 and 2005.

Diverse had a great album, One A.M., in 2003.

J-Live has done several solid albums from 2001-2008

Count Bass D

Five Deez

Freddie Cruger (Producer albums)

Jazz Liberatorz (Producers, doing downtempo and hip-hop)

Kero One

Pseudo Slang

A few other mixtapes you might want to check out include:
    DJ Ayres - Death Of Jay-z (DOJ)... all good, older jay-z stuff, including remixes
    Neil Armstrong has an all Jay-Z mix too.
    Cosmo Baker made a cool all Pete Rock stuff: http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/45364/#645066
    I love Neil Armstrong's "Filthy" mix too.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Jspr said:
    all avialable on vinyl

If this is actually a factor in 2011 it's going to be a problem - probably like 0.0001% of the good rap music released in the past five years has had a non-digital release. Most good rap of the past couple years has had no physical release (ayo!).

• escoeescoe 113 Posts
    did you miss "in da club"? do you own a time machine?

• JusMeJusMe 68 Posts
    bull_ox said:
    Jspr said:
    all avialable on vinyl

If this is actually a factor in 2011 it's going to be a problem - probably like 0.0001% of the good rap music released in the past five years has had a non-digital release. Most good rap of the past couple years has had no physical release (ayo!).

This is pretty much why I've lost interest in hip hop in recent years. Its not a quality issue, theres just not alot out there on my preferred format.

@Rishan.. It sounds like your basically looking for hip hop that sounds like the stuff you were listening to 10 years ago. Its a very interesting time in music imo. Be open to new sounds.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Rishan said:
    i thought i grew out of hip hop, but i guess not. could those of you who have followed hip hop over the past decade please advise me on what i have missed. a friend tells me about Blu & Exile, Little Brother, Murs, Curren$y, Lupe Fiasco, some of which i have checked out and i think it's alright. so things along the same lines please, underground/independent/alternative/whatever it's called now. can't say that i have checked for any new music in more than 10 years, but the stuff i have heard from simply being exposed to modern, mainstream culture is absolutely horrendous. i don't want to turn into a music snob who only listens to decades old music. btw, this is a serious request, so abuse to be kept to a mimimum please! thanks:)

My advice would be to try to take a step out of your comfort zone - to listen to music that doesn't at first glance sound like the music you grew up and liked. If you've been sort of "out of the loop" for 10 years then some new stuff will sound alien to you, but my advice is to just dive in.

A song to bridge the gap, perhaps:

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Jspr said:
    Most good rap of the past couple years has had no physical release (ayo!).