The Official Soul Strut 100 Poll (V. 1)

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    BTW: If this proves successful/feasible, we should definitely do a Top 100 SONGS poll later. But for now, albums only.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Where is Raj's list?
    What criteria are we using?
    100 favorite Soulsturt lps?
    100 favorite personal lps?

What the hell is "100 favorite Soulstrut LPs"? Does anyone actually memorize other people's tastes here (besides knowing that Harvey likes Texas records?)

Just list your 10 favorite albums. We'll aggregate from there and see which ones stack up the most.

It's not that complicated!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Done.

Done.

Only voted for 3 lps that other strutters are likely to vote for.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Done.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Done
    nice marcofunked touch

• Done. Kinda embarrassed by how much of my list is old stuff, but the records I revisit the most are almost all from the 1990s or earlier.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I thought this was going to be more of a "top ten Soulstrut-related albums" as opposed to personal favorites. I don't think Endless Flight is actually in anyone's personal favorite top ten.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Mongo_Slade said:
    Done.

Mongo_Slade said:
    Done. Kinda embarrassed by how much of my list is old stuff, but the records I revisit the most are almost all from the 1990s or earlier.

I think my latest lp pick was from '76. No shame in that game!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    I thought this was going to be more of a "top ten Soulstrut-related albums" as opposed to personal favorites. I don't think Endless Flight is actually in anyone's personal favorite top ten.

I guess we could do both and then blend the two.
    Or just have 2 lists - Our favs and SS favs, if that makes sense.

DB_Cooper said:

I may have misunderstood Raj's original intent (but I don't think I did) but what would be the point in coming up with a list of "Soulstrut-related albums" if that isn't reflective of what listener's personal tastes are? I don't get it.

I mean, if it's all about what albums keep getting mentioned on Soul Strut, It'd be a lot more interesting and entertaining to come up with "Top 10 SOul Strut insider jokes" rather than a list of albums that we only namecheck because it's funny to like 20 dudes on here.

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    mannybolone said:

I mean, if it's all about what albums keep getting mentioned on Soul Strut, It'd be a lot more interesting and entertaining to come up with "Top 10 SOul Strut insider jokes" rather than a list of albums that we only namecheck because it's funny to like 20 dudes on here.

Exactly. Such a list would mostly be a reminder of what is often talked about.

mannybolone said:
    a list of albums that we only namecheck because it's funny to like 20 dudes on here.

Being one of the dudes that stuff is funny to, I demand such a list forthwith. FORTHWITH I SAY!

mannybolone said:
    a list of albums that we only namecheck because it's funny to like 20 dudes who have been on here for more than a year.

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    mannybolone said:

Just list your 10 favorite albums.

done!

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Spacecho said:
    mannybolone said:

Just list your 10 favorite albums.

done!

Donnage.

Gather all yee list nerds.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    DB_Cooper said:

I may have misunderstood Raj's original intent (but I don't think I did) but what would be the point in coming up with a list of "Soulstrut-related albums" if that isn't reflective of what listener's personal tastes are? I don't get it.

I think you're getting caught up in false dichotomy, and not allowing for the fact that there are some less than stellar records that are deeply relevant to what goes on here.

Off the top, my soulstrut top four, for example, would probably be something like (in no particular order): Hell Hath No Fury, People...Hold On, Endless Flight, and Archie Whitewater. And while one or two of those may come close, none of them would be in my top ten. Not one. Nonetheless, it would be pointless to talk about the architecture of this site without them. Like 'em or not, those records all have history, significance, and lasting influence on our particular brand of exchange.

A survey of personal favorite records is gonna be bland as fuck, and will look just like any other list from any other community of record dudes who have ever used the word "crate." Finding out what people think makes this place This Place would without a doubt the far more interesting project, and infinitely more worthwhile than going through all this rigamarole just to find out that, oh shit, dudes still really like Curtis Live!

Besides, anyone who pays attention to the traffic around here can see that it might be a good time to focus more on what makes soulstrut unique and less on parsing some Applebee's menu of Crate Classics???.

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    I'm curious as to what this list will look like, especially since you can't see what others have chosen as their 10's.

mannybolone said:
    DB_Cooper said:

Sorry O-Dub.... I didn't put 2 and 2 together. I didn't intend this to be a Rollingstones Top 100 albums ever list.

My vision is exactly what James touched on above. It'd be nice to document the top 100 records brought up and discussed here (good and bad). I mean Fleetwood Mac - Rumours is a record in my top 10 but it is not SS relevant. Sylvers II is more like a top 10 SS related album, but not even on my radar for my personal top 10. How about Silk Degrees?

I'm thinking a fixed list that people can vote on is a better option. We could theoretically have 2 SS 100s. Wow this is getting messy.

Sayin'. I ended up on some introspective desert island list-making shit that yielded such trenchant observations as "I really like Fun House" and "If I had to pick, I guess I'd take Physical Graffiti over the others." Meanwhile, I pined to smirkingly type "Y'all So Stupid."

So, what's up?

• musica said:
    So, what's up?

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Soul Strut Top 10's would be way more fun. People here have such crazily diverse tastes that personal top tens would have almost no overlap. What to do?

I'm working on a SS 100 list... have about 300 albums that we can trim down. Might as well poast a personal top 10 too.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    Done.

How much longer is this going to stay open?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    I ended up on some introspective desert island list-making shit

The only thing that my ten have to with SoulStrut is that I poasted 'em, and I'm a Strutter.

I had about 6 'automatic' picks for my top ten. After those, it was much more difficult to exclude others from a list of about 20 titles. And I'm not sure at all that I got a good top ten.

• per0per0 152 Posts
    done did.

james said:
    mannybolone said:
    DB_Cooper said:

I think you're getting caught up in false dichotomy, and not allowing for the fact that there are some less than stellar records that are deeply relevant to what goes on here.

Off the top, my soulstrut top four, for example, would probably be something like (in no particular order): Hell Hath No Fury, People...Hold On, Endless Flight, and Archie Whitewater. And while one or two of those may come close, none of them would be in my top ten. Not one. Nonetheless, it would be pointless to talk about the architecture of this site without them. Like 'em or not, those records all have history, significance, and lasting influence on our particular brand of exchange.

A survey of personal favorite records is gonna be bland as fuck, and will look just like any other list from any other community of record dudes who have ever used the word "crate." Finding out what people think makes this place This Place would without a doubt the far more interesting project, and infinitely more worthwhile than going through all this rigamarole just to find out that, oh shit, dudes still really like Curtis Live!

Besides, anyone who pays attention to the traffic around here can see that it might be a good time to focus more on what makes soulstrut unique and less on parsing some Applebee's menu of Crate Classics???.

I don't have a real horse in this race. All I did was create a form and since Musica was going to crunch the data, it's no skin off my nose which way this goes. Personally, I still don't "get" the concept as it's now manifested but if that's what Raj wants, it's his site.

I disagree that a master list of user submissions would be inherently dull, esp. if we're talking about 100 albums (but a Top 10 might yield few surprises).

In any case, we have 30+ submissions on this V. 1 poll; it'd be a shame to waste all that info. Whenever Raj has his final list ready to go, we should crunch this and offer it as an alternative list