explaining musical terms to someone without theory

RishanRishan 454 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central
i used to play piano, recorder, clarinet and drums in primary school, so i used to read sheet music a little, but i never attempted to learn about theory. what is it? can it be explained succinctly? actually what i really would like to know is, since i have listened to jazz so much that i can now 'get' it, and enjoy it properly, what do terms like modal, hard bop, post bop, bebop, straightahead etc etc mean? some i can tell easily, like fusion, jazz funk etc, obviously, but could someone give obvious examples of each style. i'd like to be able to read reviews and critique and understand what they're talking about.

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Rishan said:
    i used to play piano, recorder, clarinet and drums in primary school, so i used to read sheet music a little, but i never attempted to learn about theory. what is it? can it be explained succinctly? actually what i really would like to know is, since i have listened to jazz so much that i can now 'get' it, and enjoy it properly, what do terms like modal, hard bop, post bop, bebop, straightahead etc etc mean? some i can tell easily, like fusion, jazz funk etc, obviously, but could someone give obvious examples of each style. i'd like to be able to read reviews and critique and understand what they're talking about.

In a nutshell:

Modal = Kind Of Blue. Meaning jazz that is not based on chord progressions, especially the soloing.
    Hard Bop = mid/late 50's Horace Silver. Bebop that is slowed down with a more pronounced blues element
    Bebop = Charlie Parker/Dizzy Gillespie. Intricate, fast paced jazz with complex chord structures/harmony

Straightahead and post bop are somewhat vague terms that apply to several styles.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I was reading a book called "The Human Built World" recently that discusses musical forms like bebop, bop and free jazz as a backlash against the increasingly automated systematized world of post WWII/Cold War America. The discussion was really interesting, and particularly dovetailed with discussions of artists like John Cage, Eno, Stockhausen I also read regarding cybernetics.

• Much of music theory is learning how to read and write sheet music, understanding keys and time signatures, and recognizing intervals, scales, and chords by ear. Invaluable knowledge to a musician, arranger, or songwriter. Definitely wouldn't hurt for a producer or DJ also.

In my experience, we didn't talk about genres or subgenres at all in theory. I think that would fall under music appreciation or musicology.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    M.B.A.S.E.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    Horseleech said:

Straightahead and post bop are somewhat vague terms that apply to several styles.
    straightahead = not free jazz or any other experimental shit preferably good ol' big band jazz
    post bop = after 1960. it's really a time map term without much musical significance

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:

In my experience, we didn't talk about genres or subgenres at all in theory. I think that would fall under music appreciation or musicology.

I had a love/hate relationship with theory in school.

Horseleech said:

In a nutshell:

Modal = Kind Of Blue. Meaning jazz that is not based on chord progressions, especially the soloing.

Without sounding like a dick, the music student in me wants to add .02. It's true, Kind of Blue is probably the definitive modal jazz record, but the term modal means that the music based on modes. A mode is a scale that starts on a specific note of a specific scale. In the key of C Major, if you started the scale on D and played up to the next D it would be a Dorian scale. If you started the C Major scale on E it's called Phrygian. Lydian would start on F, mixolydian would start on G and so on. Using modes changes the whole sound of the scale. This applies for all key signatures based on intervals.

Playing these modes over their respective key signatures is technically "correct," but what Miles and 'em did was use modes to step outside of generally accepted melodic lines. For instance, "So What" has a pretty simple chord progression. But when he started using different modes he realized shit started sounding a little "out." It's really all in the lines they were playing. You could spatter scalar notes all around and technically be "right," but they way they formatted the notes into different modes is what gave that record the sound it has.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I'm not gonna get into music theory on the strut because it's work for me & you guys aren't wrong. But this thread made me chuckle & because I have had students who have submitted essays talking about "Model Jazz" & they have also mentioned Miles Davis' "Heroine" addiction.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    holmes said:
    Miles Davis' "Heroine" addiction.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Okay, thanks for all the replies, i think this is pretty interesting and i wish i'd cared more when i was at school instead of wasting my youth doing dumb shit.

If we talk about John Coltrane for a sec, My Favourite Things and Crescent are different from Giant Steps and Love Supreme. What do these fall into? McCoy Tyner on My Favourite Things, is that modal playing? I can hear similar styles with the John Betsch Society record and lots of other records from around that time. What then does post-Coltrane mean, in terms of sound or style?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    damms said:
    Horseleech said:

straightahead = not free jazz or any other experimental shit preferably good ol' big band jazz
    post bop = after 1960. it's really a time map term without much musical significance

I would take Big Band out of straightahead. BB is a genre itself in my book. The arrangements make it so. You want to be using a lot of brass harmony for BB. The tunes are generally slower than straightahead so the arrangements can breathe.

I would personally equate straightahead with bebop, pre mid-60s. Mid-late 60's a lot players were playing modally, it was more out and not as hard-swinging. I stand alone everytime I open my mouth about Miles's band with Wayne Shorter not swinging hard enough for me. I find it too meandering. ESP, Fille de Kilimanjaro etc.

Whether a tune is Modal or not depends on the soloists. You don't have to play modal over the chords, but IIRC (and I am completely self-taught and happy to be corrected here) modal soloing keeps the same intervals regardless of the chord changes underneath, so you are not subbing in/out sharps/flats to put them back in key with the current chord underneath your notes.

As a bassist I could wing it usually but wish I could write something with the colour Herbie and Miles used.

I'd say coltrane was bebop the modal toward the end, although he came with his own sheets-of-sound approach and had that whole Triad thing down like in Giant Steps. That level of playing would explode my head to compute, I am just not clever enough to get it.

Sorry.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Rishan said:

I was going to answer this question using my limited knowledge of theory.
    Then I read HL's response, and said this is exactly what the op wanted. A way to understand which terms refer to which styles.

It is good to know if the music is blues based or uses modal scales or 12 tone scales, but not necessary.
    The other stuff is just categories. They help critics put musicians work into little boxes. They also help us describe what we do or don't like or what some one might sound like. Other than that they have no real or fixed meaning.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    Invaluable knowledge to a musician, arranger, or songwriter.

Yes, but also not necessary to be able to appreciate and make great music.

- spidey

• Options
    The biology is in the hydrology that runs through the geology.

and in order to completely simplify the reaction & understand the categorization you must first refrigerate the denominator & then integrate the numerator with the cheese grater.......

edit to delete