Who’s that guy? FUNK on German TV shows

GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
edited August 2005 in Music Talk
German Soul Strutters, plaese tell me who is responsible for all those Funk tracks being played on German TV lately. Home improvement shows, chart shows, news shows, documentaries... rare Funk, nu Funk, "deep" Funk and secret library songs all over. I'm just watching a stupid chart show on RTL and they are using a super nice Selected Sound track by Rex Brown that is my latest number one favorite track. WHO IS CHOOSING THE MUSIC FOR RTL, PRO7 and VOX? How come they know those tracks? All those channels are new! Do they have access to the music libraries of the German national television?

Comments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Do they employ DJs? Do they pay people for choosing music being used? How do I need to apply for a job like that?

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    I don't have cable, but 16 Funky Corners compilation got hyped thus you had funk tracks in the background at Sex In The City, same goes for what you are referring to I think.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    But do TV channels employ DJs or how do they find such music? Those library tracks they are playing on the German TV have not been reissued. Plus they have been using Funk tracks for the complete last year.

• Can't speak for any German channels but I work at a Danish TV station and I always try to use some "good" music for trailers, breakers and features. I never got around to use any funk though.

I doubt that they will have access to other stations libraries but a lot of tracks can be found on comps.

Also there's records collectors everywhere....

Dress

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    You got a good job Dreskie! Could you ever take pictures of all those records at the Danish TV station you're working at? I'm wondering how they store so many records!

Those German TV shows I'm talking about are produced so badly. I wonder who's responsible for the music selection. The music is great! Totally oppositional to the pictures being shown!

Any German working at a TV channel that is in the know?

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    You got a good job Dreskie! Could you ever take pictures of all those records at the Danish TV station you're working at? I'm wondering how they store so many records!

Those German TV shows I'm talking about are produced so badly. I wonder who's responsible for the music selection. The music is great! Totally oppositional to the pictures being shown!

Ive noticed that theres been running a commercial on danish Tv2 where they use some 1971 Peer Library music, the Big Hammer track, when I see this spot Im always like whoot...

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    The music is great! Totally oppositional to the pictures being shown!

dude watch CNN they often drop shit from pretty hip sources for no apparent reason

Marquee Moon seems to get played on Anderson Cooper all the freakin time.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Ive noticed that theres been running a commercial on danish Tv2 where they use some 1971 Peer Library music, the Big Hammer track, when I see this spot Im always like whoot...

they're using my favorite library track for a chicken wurst commercial over here! I can't listen to the track anymore. They destroyed my favorite track ever!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    The music is great! Totally oppositional to the pictures being shown!

dude watch CNN they often drop shit from pretty hip sources for no apparent reason

Marquee Moon seems to get played on Anderson Cooper all the freakin time.

I'll try to catch CNN! Don't know what Anderson Cooper is though.

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    The reason are is that the editors (Redakteure oder Redakteurs Volont??re) choose the music for the reports they are working on. Because those private stations like RTL or PRO 7 are fuckers when it comes to pay enough money they only employ very young people who are willing to work for a TV station for less money. If you look at MTV or VIVA they are mainly ran by volunteers (Praktikanten). I know volunteers who ran whole shows on VIVA. So those young people are no hardcore diggers but they are more into those none maintsream things and so some of them know about good music (Stones Throw/Now Again is a widly known lable under german hipsters) Even if they are working on crappy reports about Janette Biederman, they try to make it themselves a little easier tow work on this bullshit. I saw a report about the construction work of a Techno Disco in munich, but the only music you heard was from Bootcamps Smiff N Wesson.

Actualy there are working a lot of smart people with a lot of taste on those TV stations, the problem is that they are thinking they have to water down everything for there dumb audience. They are everything but brave when it comes to bring something with deepness to TV. And the ratings proof them right most of the times.

Peace
    Hawkeye

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts

• spcspc 534 Posts
    German Soul Strutters, plaese tell me who is responsible for all those Funk tracks being played on German TV lately. Home improvement shows, chart shows, news shows, documentaries... rare Funk, nu Funk, "deep" Funk and secret library songs all over. I'm just watching a stupid chart show on RTL and they are using a super nice Selected Sound track by Rex Brown that is my latest number one favorite track. WHO IS CHOOSING THE MUSIC FOR RTL, PRO7 and VOX? How come they know those tracks? All those channels are new! Do they have access to the music libraries of the German national television?

I'v not been watching TV for a few years, but I noticed library stuff in many trash-/b-movies, the last one was a trashy kungfu flick from www.publicdomaintorrents.com with kpm joint, but I can't remember the name.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Hawkeye, is that really you? You were the show host? Can't believe that!? Olski is kidding, right? Why did they cancel the show? I couldn't watch it when you were on (no TV in my Stuttgart apartment).

Yeah, I guess some volunteers mix in those Funk sounds. I'm just surprised to hear so many channels using Funk these days.

Just came home for a coffee break with my girl. Turned on the TV and there it goes again... dead funky James Brown songs used for a documentary about senior citizens getting drunk on a steamboat ride! ODD! Some volunteers having fun at the WDR in Cologne!

Oh shit Olski, where did you get this picture from ?? This day was horrible, the Write for Gold in Dortmund I think.

@Grope

They didn't canceld them shows. Supreme had to go beacuse Viva 2 was sold to AOL and the wanted tis Viva Plus channel with all them iddiots who filmed themselfs. Remember this horny blond bitch from LA ?? Some rumors say she had connections to all the Stuttgart rap acts. Man she was as dumb as Aldi Brot.

Mixery was also not canceld, it happend the same, Viva was bought by MTVs mothercompany Viacom and they changed the program scedule. So the show and Viva filed for divorce. Now we gonna make the show on the web. www.mixeryrawdeluxe.de but we havent started yet. Maybe in some weeks. I meant we are filming for it allready, got a DJ Premeier interview recently, he said some intresting things. I'll post a link here when we put that stuff on the web.

Peace
    Hawkeye

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Well, feel free to ask Grope for an interview. I heard that he is quite THAT dude. Good to hear you'll do some independent show. I always felt bad watching VIVA. I heard Gorny talk at a media convention in Hamburg. He is such an asshole. Biggest shit-talker ever. He's very dumb!

??ber Stuttgart (auf Deutsch): Ich kann die Stuttgarter Szene nicht ab. Alle meiner Freunde haben Probleme mit denen. Bin mit Chimperator und Kopfnicker Typen in Uni-Kursen gewesen. Ein Kumpel von mir hat mit Kopfnickern und Chimperatorn mal was aufgenommen. Also aus Erfahrund sprechend. Zu anderen m??gen die nett sein, aber hintenrum echt fiese Typen. Die Stuttgarter Szene ist einfach nur zum Lachen. Von oben bis unten. 2hoch4 und Matze Bach ausgenommen.

Sorry again for that James Last hassle. Bad move of mine. Please excuse!

Was haben den die Nicker so gemacht ??? Sie sind tats??chlich sehr nett im handling der Leute. Aber wenn du ein paar storys hast w??rde ich schon gerne was h??ren.

Peace

Hawkeye

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts

Lately there's been a commercial on Danish TV where they play the track "precint" off "hogan the hawk and dirty john crown" on de wolfe! I can't remember what the commercial is about, I've just seen it a few times.

If you remember one of the six covers that was made for "Nobody beats the Beats" that they shot down in the basement of "Danmarks Radio" they had pulled that "hogan the hawk..." out next to the marlena shaw!

Then there's the coca cola commercial where DJ Noize throws on "Rockbed" from Brass game also on De wolfe!

I've also heard stories that Noize got mad records from Danmarks Radios basement!

• Was haben den die Nicker so gemacht ??? Sie sind tats??chlich sehr nett im handling der Leute. Aber wenn du ein paar storys hast w??rde ich schon gerne was h??ren.

Peace
    Hawkeye

Ich geb mal noch ein bisschen Senf dazu und darf nochmal die Divenhaftigkeit der Heidelberger HipHop "Gr??ssen" betonen, die zwar mal den ein oder anderen Fernsehauftritt vorzuweisen haben, vielleicht ein paar Platten,
    deren Hintergrundwissen ??ber gute Samples/Breaks aber leider nicht ??ber "the holy book of hip hop" rausreicht und die trotzdem daherreden, als haben sie die Weisheit mit dem L??ffel gefressen.

Eine gewisse Ausnahme stellt aber sicherlich "Torch" dar,
    der noch die nette Seite repr??sentiert!

Um dem thread doch noch gerecht zu werden :

Nicht umsonst sammeln viiiiiiiiiiele Leute, die sich beruflich mit der Werbung und Werbefilmen befassen, seit geraumer Zeit alte Platten. Geben auch ??ne Menge Geld f??r die unbekannten Sachen aus zum Teil!

Salut
    Seb

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Was haben den die Nicker so gemacht ??? Sie sind tats??chlich sehr nett im handling der Leute. Aber wenn du ein paar storys hast w??rde ich schon gerne was h??ren.

Peace
    Hawkeye

Ich geb mal noch ein bisschen Senf dazu und darf nochmal die Divenhaftigkeit der Heidelberger HipHop "Gr??ssen" betonen, die zwar mal den ein oder anderen Fernsehauftritt vorzuweisen haben, vielleicht ein paar Platten,
    deren Hintergrundwissen ??ber gute Samples/Breaks aber leider nicht ??ber "the holy book of hip hop" rausreicht und die trotzdem daherreden, als haben sie die Weisheit mit dem L??ffel gefressen.

Wie wahr, wie wahr! Das selbe gilt f??r die aus Stuttgart! Au??er Matze Bach!

Hi Seb! Ich traue mich nicht mehr, Dir zu schreiben!

• spcspc 534 Posts

Peace

Hawkeye

Eine gewisse Ausnahme stellt aber sicherlich "Torch" dar,

der noch die nette Seite repr??sentiert!

Das kann ich nur unterstreichen. Torch und Toni sind echt zwei nette Typen und stellen die gro??e Ausnahme dar, der Abu auch noch. Seit ich mich erinnern kann, waren die Heidelberger HipHop-Leute irgendwie von nem anderen Planeten, das kam einem immer wie klein-NewYork vor. Wenn man von ausserhalb kam (keine Ahnung, wo die ihre Heidelberg-Grenze gezogen haben, Schwetzingen und so haben auch jeden Fall nicht dazugeh??rt wurdest du schon etwas schr??g von der Seite angesehen. An ihrer Hall-of-Fame konntest du nur mit Erlaubnis malen, was die nat??rlich an anderen Halls nicht im Geringsten interessiert hat und nicht davon abgehalten hat, ??ber neue Bilder dr??berzugehen.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    Now we gonna make the show on the web. www.mixeryrawdeluxe.de but we havent started yet. Maybe in some weeks. I meant we are filming for it allready, got a DJ Premeier interview recently, he said some intresting things. I'll post a link here when we put that stuff on the web.

Peace
    Hawkeye

I just visited your website. The Toni L cooking 1&1 was one of my favorites from your show. You got to put more stuff online or make it available (perhaps archive.org ?). Glad to see a comeback for the show.

• spcspc 534 Posts

Nicht umsonst sammeln viiiiiiiiiiele Leute, die sich beruflich mit der Werbung und Werbefilmen befassen, seit geraumer Zeit alte Platten. Geben auch ??ne Menge Geld f??r die unbekannten Sachen aus zum Teil!

Salut
    Seb

Glaubst du die kaufen wegen der Musik oder um evtl. Lizenzkosten zu sparen, weil sie vielleicht glauben, die alten Schinken erkennt keiner.

• Wie wahr, wie wahr! Das selbe gilt f??r die aus Stuttgart! Au??er Matze Bach!

Hi Seb! Ich traue mich nicht mehr, Dir zu schreiben!

Wow Jan, woher die Ber??hrungs??ngste ?

;-)

• Um dem thread doch noch gerecht zu werden :

Salut
    Seb

Glaubst du die kaufen wegen der Musik oder um evtl. Lizenzkosten zu sparen, weil sie vielleicht glauben, die alten Schinken erkennt keiner.

Das kann man sicher von mehreren Standpunkten aus sehen :

- zum einen ist "der Groove" halt mega in und das seit den 80ern durch Leute wie Eric B etc., in den 90ern kam Jungle und selbst die modernen House Sachen suchen ja die unbekannten Sachen

- dann ist es sicher g??nstiger, jemand eine Lizenz aus dem R??cken zu leiern, als etwas neu aufzunehmen

- die alten Sachen sind halt einfach die Granate und kaum zu toppen :-]]

Meine Frage : Wieso kommst??n Du auf Schw??tzingen :-) ??

Salut
    Seb

• spcspc 534 Posts

Salut
    Seb

Das kann man sicher von mehreren Standpunkten aus sehen :

- zum einen ist "der Groove" halt mega in und das seit den 80ern durch Leute wie Eric B etc., in den 90ern kam Jungle und selbst die modernen House Sachen suchen ja die unbekannten Sachen

- dann ist es sicher g??nstiger, jemand eine Lizenz aus dem R??cken zu leiern, als etwas neu aufzunehmen

- die alten Sachen sind halt einfach die Granate und kaum zu toppen :-]]

Meine Frage : Wieso kommst??n Du auf Schw??tzingen :-) ??

Salut
    Seb

Ich da aus der N??he, ehemals Ketsch City , Jetzt wohne ich in Mannheim.

• Ich da aus der N??he, ehemals Ketsch City , Jetzt wohne ich in Mannheim.

Also als alte und neue Nachbarn sollten wir uns da mal austauschen :-)

Wie heisst Du mit Vornamen ?

Salut
    Seb

• spcspc 534 Posts

Ich da aus der N??he, ehemals Ketsch City , Jetzt wohne ich in Mannheim.

Also als alte und neue Nachbarn sollten wir uns da mal austauschen :-)

Wie heisst Du mit Vornamen ?

Salut
    Seb

Victor. Ich hab vor 2 Wochen die "Holy Ghosts" in HD von dir gekauft und war auch letzte Wochenende in Schwetzingen mal an deinem Stand. Was Austauschen angeht, bist du mir wahrscheinlich sowieso Jahre voraus, aber ich weiss nicht, wie fit du mit HipHop, Elektro, House, Broken und NuJazz bist, oder ob da deine Interessen liegen, da weiss ich vielleicht eher was, wobei mir in diesen Bereichen der Jelly Jahrzehnte voraus ist

• Victor. Ich hab vor 2 Wochen die "Holy Ghosts" in HD von dir gekauft und war auch letzte Wochenende in Schwetzingen mal an deinem Stand. Was Austauschen angeht, bist du mir wahrscheinlich sowieso Jahre voraus, aber ich weiss nicht, wie fit du mit HipHop, Elektro, House, Broken und NuJazz bist, oder ob da deine Interessen liegen, da weiss ich vielleicht eher was, wobei mir in diesen Bereichen der Jelly Jahrzehnte voraus ist

AH NEIN!

Du kamst aus KETSCH ?

Wir sehen uns morgen in HD auf dem Flohmarkt ja ?

*gggggggg*

• spcspc 534 Posts

Victor. Ich hab vor 2 Wochen die "Holy Ghosts" in HD von dir gekauft und war auch letzte Wochenende in Schwetzingen mal an deinem Stand. Was Austauschen angeht, bist du mir wahrscheinlich sowieso Jahre voraus, aber ich weiss nicht, wie fit du mit HipHop, Elektro, House, Broken und NuJazz bist, oder ob da deine Interessen liegen, da weiss ich vielleicht eher was, wobei mir in diesen Bereichen der Jelly Jahrzehnte voraus ist

AH NEIN!

Du kamst aus KETSCH ?

Wir sehen uns morgen in HD auf dem Flohmarkt ja ?

*gggggggg*

Klaro! Hoffentlich ist noch was ??brig bis ich komme (Letze Woche in Schwetzingen hast du gottseidank zwei gute House 12" stehen lassen

• Klaro! Hoffentlich ist noch was ??brig bis ich komme (Letze Woche in Schwetzingen hast du gottseidank zwei gute House 12" stehen lassen

Maxis interessieren mich ??berhaupt nicht,

wenn Du willst, bring Ich morgen eine 3 EURO Maxikiste f??r Dich mit,
    die hier schon 1 Jahr auf dem Regal steht!

Ich kauf mir dann lieber SOUL BEAT ungespielt von Charly Antolini f??r 2,- EURO (heute) oder Geschichten f??r die Wand :