Panasonic killed off Technics?

pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
http://gizmodo.com/5675818/end-of-an-era-panasonic-kills-off-technics-turntables

Now, giz usually doesn't go willy-nilly on reporting rumors and hoaxes, but I'm hoping this isn't true.

B/W

Hi everyone. It's been a while.

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Well, the ten times one of these threads was started before it was a hoax - I'm assuming this is too.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    They've been Discontinued at Sam Ash for the last 2 years I believe. We were told by our Panasonic rep that Technic's might stop production, to re-build interest in the brand.

- spidey

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    is this going to be another "here we go again"?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    hey you know i am headong to LA and looking for spots to dig and eat
    i really hope i can find that jesus break i heard there was a video of that
    but wait while I post this awesome indian dance routine clip you may not have seen
    did you know they did the thriller video in a prison in manilla
    that's one of my top GRAILZ ..what's yours?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    just a question
    is anyone on soundcloud?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    SPlDEY said:
    They've been Discontinued at Sam Ash for the last 2 years I believe. We were told by our Panasonic rep that Technic's might stop production, to re-build interest in the brand.

- spidey

huh, that's interesting... it's nice to hear something concrete as opposed to the same old interent rumor...

at the end of the day, i guess it doesn't really matter to me if they do or don't... they are built like tanks and at this pont there are millions of them out there, so it's not like there will ever be a shortage...

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts
    When was the last time you knew someone to buy a brand new pair of Technics?

• "In a statement issued to the Tokyo Reporter, Panasonic explained what we all suspected: that they???d ???decided to end production mainly due to a decline in demand for these analog products and also the growing difficulty of procuring key analog components necessary to sustain production.???

The statement specifies a winding-down in production of the Technics SL-1200MK6 turntable, the SH-EX1200 mixer, and the RP-DH1200 and RP-DJ1200 headphones."

http://www.tokyoreporter.com/2010/10/28/dead-spin-panasonic-discontinues-technics-analog-turntables/

EDIT: see mannys post, this same unconfirmed story has been going around and around and around for years.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Tokyoreporter.com is the ONLY site reporting this. Nothing from Panasonic. No other secondary source can confirm the same story. Every story on the web is referring back to the Tokyoreporter post, creating an echo chamber effect that makes this story seem more "real" than should be credited at this point.

100% fact? Based on a single website? Seriously?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    The other suspicious thing is that this article is basically the same one that was floating around two years ago, down to the exact wording etc.

And why would Panasonic announce this by sending an email to a single news source?

Yet another hoax, imo.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I wouldn't be surprised if Panasonic themselves are floating the rumors. Don't tell me someone at the corporation hasn't heard these reports over the past 3,4,5 years they've been coming out.

• mannybolone said:

100% fact? Based on a single website? Seriously?

ahhh fuck its the same thing over again your right manny. post reedited. why can't someone at panasonic either confirm or deny this.

i thought last time it was on a website in new zealand or something?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    To add: Tokyo Reporter isn't exactly what I'd call a "reputable source" for tech news based on what the bulk of their coverage is about (i.e. Japanese pron).

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    There are not millions or gazillions of 1200s out there. But enough. And there are probably even more critical spare parts like tonearms sat in warehouses. But at some point you are not going to be able to get new ones and there will not be many people around to fix old ones. It will be the 1200 apocalypse. I got a soldering iron.

It would be interesting to know how many mkIIs are still out there in use.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I bought a used 1200 in 1993. Don't even know how old it was then but it's still working for me. I did have the RCAs replaced earlier this year (long overdue) but that's it.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    I wouldn't be surprised if Panasonic themselves are floating the rumors. Don't tell me someone at the corporation hasn't heard these reports over the past 3,4,5 years they've been coming out.