Slits vocalist Ari Up dead at 48

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
So sad to hear about this. The Slits were one of the most remarkable and genuinely groundbreaking bands of the punk era here in the UK.

"Ari Up, frontwoman for pioneering British punk band the Slits, died Wednesday (Oct. 20), according to Sex Pistols' John Lydon (aka Johnny Rotten). Lydon, who is married to Forster's mother, delivered the news about the 48-year-old singer's death on his website.

"John and Nora have asked us to let everyone know that Nora's daughter Arianna (aka Ari-Up) died today (Wednesday, October 20th) after a serious illness," he wrote. "She will be sadly missed. Everyone at JohnLydon.com and PiLofficial.Com would like to pass on their heartfelt condolences to John, Nora and family. Rest in Peace."

Up, born Arianna Forster, formed the Slits in 1976 at the age of 14. The then all-female band set the mold for the early '90s riot grrrl movement and released two albums, 1979's 'Cut' -- which features an infamous cover photo of the topless band members covered in mud -- and 1981's 'Return of the Giant Slits,' before disbanding. Up later released her own solo effort and worked on various other projects before reforming the Slits in 2005."

[source: billboard.com]

Comments

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    RIP.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Sad to hear this. Just recently saw The Slits in one of Amoebas "What's in my bag"-videos, and Ari seemed so young at heart. RIP.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I was so bummed to hear about this, she was a true original, and one of my favorite vocalists. RIP to a legend...

• fuck. i ran into her all the time in brooklyn...what a great soul. r.i.p.

• R.I.P.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    This sucks. The Slits were so amazing and were a major influence on me through music and social views. Typical Girls is one of my all time favorite songs and I never get sick of hearing it. She was a great singer and song writer. New Age Steppers was killer and her singing on Fade Away is bananas. She will be so so missed.

• RIP. I interviewed her a few years back and she was endlessly interesting and sincerely kind.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    asstro said:
    I was so bummed to hear about this, she was a true original, and one of my favorite vocalists. RIP to a legend...

^so damn good

RIP I'll definitely be playing this tonight.