The illest thrift store find of all time!!!

DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
I never even look in thrift stores anymore. I haven't found anything of note there in years. I was with my mother today and she asked me to stop by the thrift store to look for halloween decorations. I hit the record bins of course. After going through the entire lot and not seeing anything I finally get to the very last record and FOUND that there weren't ANY copies of Firestone christmas in the batch!!!!

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    diggin in quito through a lot of stuff there were so many ray connifs and james last non stop dancing it was dizzying

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    pcmr said:
    diggin in quito through a lot of stuff there were so many ray connifs and james last non stop dancing it was dizzying

Don't forget the Andy Williams & Neil Diamond frisbees. I don't think we need to mention the Herb Alperts, that's a given.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    And while were on the subject of crappers, Mitch Miller, 101 Strings, Andre Kostelanetz.................. I don't care to see anymore of those for the rest of my life.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    The mom and pop thrifts still deliver around me.

It's the Salvation Armies and Goodwills that have not yielded anything in years.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    RAJ said:
    The mom and pop thrifts still deliver around me.

It's the Salvation Armies and Goodwills that have not yielded anything in years.

Yes, its definitely all about the "indie thrifts". I picked up a minty ESG s/t EP at one over Labor Day weekend. One of my better thrift finds.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Here in Cleveland and Akron I see Herb Alpert Whipped Cream and Firestone Christmas LP for days

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    finding library dewolfe's "hard hitter" for fiddy cents sparked my interest in hitting the thrifts more frequently...

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    jammy said:
    finding library dewolfe's "hard hitter" for fiddy cents sparked my interest in hitting the thrifts more frequently...

:oh_my: good condition?

• can't forget about my salvation army thrift-store
    promo-looking
    white-sleeve with the black and white photo pasted on
    excellent-condition
    copy of headless heroes of the apocalypse...

a buck of course

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    The other week, a friend of mine told about the time he was walking home from work, and stopped in a small thrift in Stockholm to go through the records - just to find a clean copy of Stark Reality for about two bucks. This was a couple of years ago. Never had much luck at thrifts, but stories like that make you feel you should hit them up more often...

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    thrift stores in the UK are a no-no

especially in london, most of them charge record shop prices, like ??5-10

best I ever found was allen toussaint's debut album for 50p, not the rarest i've found, but certainly an LP I still listen to today

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts
    utters said:

best I ever found was allen toussaint's debut album for 50p, not the rarest i've found, but certainly an LP I still listen to today

Its not just london, everywhere's caught up charity shop wise i think. You can still find occasional alright 7s for 50p-??1, but albums and 12s have definitely jumped up.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    the_dL said:
    jammy said:

:oh_my: good condition?

it was vg+. i think one of my other notable finds would have been the willie dynamite ost...

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    djwaxon said:
    utters said:

Its not just london, everywhere's caught up charity shop wise i think. You can still find occasional alright 7s for 50p-??1, but albums and 12s have definitely jumped up.

I agree with you on the whole, but last year I found some decent stuff for a change. -

Deirdre wilson tabac ??1
    Manu dibango - African voodoo 30p

• spcspc 534 Posts
    Mjukis said:
    The other week, a friend of mine told about the time he was walking home from work, and stopped in a small thrift in Stockholm to go through the records - just to find a clean copy of Stark Reality for about two bucks. This was a couple of years ago. Never had much luck at thrifts, but stories like that make you feel you should hit them up more often...

15 years ago I heard a story of a guy buying a mint Roland TR-808 f??r 50 DM (Deutsch Mark, around 25 EUROs) on a fleamarket and eversince I'm on my way to a fleamarket I think and fantasize about it ;)

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    spc said:
    Mjukis said:

15 years ago I heard a story of a guy buying a mint Roland TR-808 f??r 50 DM (Deutsch Mark, around 25 EUROs) on a fleamarket and eversince I'm on my way to a fleamarket I think and fantasize about it ;)

what about the guy who found a fairchild compressor at a car boot sale for ??5 and sold it for ??25k

true story!

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    The GoodWill's in the hood and indie thrift spots(American Thrift,Last Chance) here are always worth checking out.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Last crate I dug was back-to-back James Last and Klaus Wunderlich. That it was still there was not a good sign. Is there any heat from the dude Klaus? There were his Sud Americka vols 1 & 2, Jobim covers galore, yet something was telling me it would still be as beautifully evocative as an incomplete bowel movement.

I passed on the lot and have not lost sleep.

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts
    There's the tune with the drum break sampled for Emcees Smoke Crack by Edan

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    back when i knew music but had no records and didnt know to get records, i'd sometimes do the thrift thing. what turned me off it for good was hitting a Bed-Stuy salvo, flipping absolute dreck and hitting a practically complete mint(ish) Pharoah Sanders discography.

Each and every record was missing. And it didn't occur to me to buy the india navigation cover for someone else.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    Last crate I dug was back-to-back James Last and Klaus Wunderlich. That it was still there was not a good sign. Is there any heat from the dude Klaus? There were his Sud Americka vols 1 & 2, Jobim covers galore, yet something was telling me it would still be as beautifully evocative as an incomplete bowel movement.

I passed on the lot and have not lost sleep.

Didn't know german loungy-cheese artists were striving for world domination back then. Klaus Wunderlich has a few moments but nothing you can really enjoy without that certain irony twist.

While searching for some of his better moments on youtube stumbled on this video of the man himself performing live in front of an over-enthusiastic public. Funny shit. He has the charisma of a maths teacher.

Klaus Wunderlich - Tico Tico

This is one of his "funkier" moments. But even the Meters wouldn't be able to excorzise the cheese out of Old Klaus' body.

Klaus Wunderlich - Summertime

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    *double post*

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I got a perfect mint white label Gloria Scott at a Goodwill in Venice. -- the very copy that went on to be sampled for Beanie's "Can't Go On". Don't count them thrift stores out!

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    disco_che said:
    He has the charisma of a maths teacher.

Watch your mouth, son! :-) Math teacher with charisma right here.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i used to constantly hit this Salvo upstate because i once found like 4 (what i then thought were rare) Latin LPs. 5 years later and not a single record found yet an accumulating stock i found out a dealer friend of mine was dumping all his leftovers and crap there...figures

i know someone who found a signed Weldon Irvine LP at a GoodWill. still don't know if that's a fake story though but he does have the record..

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    bluesnag said:
    disco_che said:
    He has the charisma of a maths teacher.

Watch your mouth, son! :-) Math teacher with charisma right here.

:oh_snap:

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    disco_che said:
    This is one of his "funkier" moments. But even the Meters wouldn't be able to excorzise the cheese out of Old Klaus' body.

Klaus Wunderlich - Summertime

Howie B used this pretty well:

Howie B--"Who's Got the Bacon?"

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I've always, and still do, have great luck with thrifts & Goodwills.

Found this 2 yrs ago. (this was my actual auction from last may.)

Plus, I know I've mentioned this a million times but among my greatest finds are: The Whatnauts "Reaching for the Stars" (2 copies). Honey & the Bees "Love", RAMP "Come into Knowledge" (SEALED) and Port Authority Soul Band "Together" and many, many others. All for $1.00.