Brazilian Bank Heist (NRR)

meistromocomeistromoco 953 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Thieves Get About $65M From Brazil Bank Mon Aug 8, 8:40 PM ET SAO PAULO, Brazil - Thieves tunneled nearly 300 feet to a Central Bank vault in northeastern Brazil and stole about $65 million, police said Monday, in what has been described as the biggest such robbery ever in Brazil. ADVERTISEMENT The money was stolen from the Central Bank's vault in the city of Fortaleza, about 1,550 miles northeast of Sao Paulo.The thieves built a 13-foot deep, 262-foot-long tunnel from a house near the bank to the vault, federal police said in a statement.The elaborate tunnel had electric lights and walls reinforced with wood panels and lined with plastic sheeting, police said.The short statement did not explain how the robbers broke through the vault's six-foot thick concrete walls to reach the cash. Police said the robbers left behind a drill, electric saw and a blowtorch.The heist took place sometime between 6 p.m. Friday when the vault was closed for the weekend, and 8 a.m. Monday when it was reopened. The statement said cameras and motion detectors inside the vault did not function.The biggest previous bank heist in Brazil took place in 1999 when thieves got away with about $16 million from a Sao Paulo bank

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    The statement said cameras and motion detectors inside the vault did not function.

Inside job...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    This sounds exactly like the movie Ladykillers... and I cant' believe they actually got away with it???

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    SAO PAULO, Brazil - Thieves tunneled nearly 300 feet to a Central Bank vault in northeastern Brazil and stole about $65 million, police said Monday, in what has been described as the biggest such robbery ever in Brazil.

Amazing. Very movie-esque. My question is, what does one do with $65 million pilfered dollars? I would imagine it would be hard to launder an amount that large... or even store it, for that matter.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    SAO PAULO, Brazil - Thieves tunneled nearly 300 feet to a Central Bank vault in northeastern Brazil and stole about $65 million, police said Monday, in what has been described as the biggest such robbery ever in Brazil.

Amazing. Very movie-esque. My question is, what does one do with $65 million pilfered dollars? I would imagine it would be hard to launder an amount that large... or even store it, for that matter.

it's apparently in small, non-sequential bills. storage might be a problem but who's gonna catch you if you spend it $20 at a time?

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    oceans bossa nova