1983-1993 House and Disco music SINGLES, 12"

GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
My local record shop has 30-40 boxes full of 12" singles from 1983 to 1993. 1 Euro each. Mostly US pressings. Labels totally unknown to me. Seems like a DJ dropped his complete collection. But I don't know anything about the music. Seems to be all House and Disco. I already pitched on the Hip Hop singles (KMD, Beastie Boys, ATCQ). The collector seemed to have a somewhat decent taste.

I know you hate questions like these, but I'd really appreciate your help. What labels should I look for? What artists. What producers? There are at least 4000 records. I'm not interested in House or Disco myself, so I'd consider sharing...

I can't listen to any of the records!

Comments

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    yo man

sounds like there could be some dope shit for sure.

post 83 though you're going to have a massive droppoff in quality jams. if you said the crate was all 78 - 83 the proportion of goodness would be almost certainly greater.

but that said im finding alot of my favorite records these days are weird euro dance things from 84 - 87 ... this wasa weird er a for dance music as disco was long out, synth pop pretty much gone, new wave had fizzled and house had really yet to emerge... so dance music from this era tends to be all over the place, but you can find alot of really weird gems. Just don't forget to check them on differant speeds as most of the stuff will be too fast.

obviously 86 - 89 is prime time house classics era... after 1990 i tend to loose interest in most house productions butt there are alot of people who conisder that the prime era of deep house (90 - 93) so its inevitable that there would be some big tracks in there.

now then if you can't listen to the records then you're shit out of luck. even the best labels put out crap in with the good.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    My local record shop has 30-40 boxes full of 12" singles from 1983 to 1993. 1 Euro each. Mostly US pressings. Labels totally unknown to me. Seems like a DJ dropped his complete collection. But I don't know anything about the music. Seems to be all House and Disco. I already pitched on the Hip Hop singles (KMD, Beastie Boys, ATCQ). The collector seemed to have a somewhat decent taste.

I know you hate questions like these, but I'd really appreciate your help. What labels should I look for? What artists. What producers? There are at least 4000 records. I'm not interested in House or Disco myself, so I'd consider sharing...

Very interesting! In what city do you live?

I'm just getting into the house and disco sound, so I don't know much stuff myself , but I'd really like to look through them myself. Do you live far from Manheim/Heidelberg away?

• Look for anything that has Ron Trent, Chez Damier, or Glenn Underground involvement.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Very interesting! In what city do you live?

I'm just getting into the house and disco sound, so I don't know much stuff myself , but I'd really like to look through them myself. Do you live far from Manheim/Heidelberg away?

Ha! I won't tell you! You know more than me. You're a big dude already.

I just wrote down some names. Very few records from the 70s, many from the 80s, MOST from 1991 to 1995. They did not arrange the complete collection at the store area. Most of it is at the stockroom and I'm not allowed to go there yet. I might post a list later on, but SouthCrackalack has to look at it first. I might ridicule myself otherwise...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Look for anything that has Ron Trent, Chez Damier, or Glenn Underground involvement.

No, no Ron Trent, Chez Damier, or Glenn Underground involvement in that collection yet! Have been checking 1/3 of the collection! Bad sign? Or is Ron Trent, Chez Damier, or Glenn Underground involvement raer?