House of the Devil (film-r)

DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
An excellent little horror-genre film with an early 80's feel and deliberate Polanski like pacing. The young director Ti West is sure to do some big things in the near future. Anyone seen this? It's streaming on NetFlix now....

Comments

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    Saw it a few months ago. Pretty good, right up until the ending sequence, where everything fell apart. It managed to be suspenseful, yet the course of the movie was strongly broadcast so that even the most passive viewer should know exactly where it's heading.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    Saw a midnight screening of this recently. I really enjoyed it, but was severely let down by the ending. It's a nice touch that they are selling it on VHS!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Yeah would have to agree that the sudden freak out in the last section felt overblown and not in sync with the rest of the movie but I'll give it a pass as enjoyed all the build up so much. While nothing without a good story to back it up I have to say that the attention to period detail was fantastic, right down to the way the shots were framed.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    I was watching this and enjoyed the retro hommage feel and pacing for a while, but then it started to feel a little too familiar and slow so I started fast forwarding to the good bits, which, understandably, ended up leaving me underwhelmed. Liked the look of it tho.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Movie was fan-fucking-tastic. I dind't even mind the end.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Loved it. Agree the ending could've been better, but it's a truly exceptional horror movie that delivers from beginning to end -- This one is fantastic right out of the gate, and sustains that for at least an hour, a rarity these days. Its ability to channel the best of early 80s horror is otherworldly. Highly recommended.

On the other hand, avoid like the plague the director's CABIN FEVER 2 (which he disowned after extensive reshoots and re-edits). Truly one of the worst films I've sat through, and that's saying a lot.

I will definitely check for more films from dude.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Yeah I was shocked that cabin fever 2 was by the same dude. it was awful.

house of the devil is destined to be a classic.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I'm going to have to disagree. This felt about as homage-y as a Weird Al music video parody.

I dunno guys. I wasn't feeling this movie at all. Did we see the same movie?

I can't even think of one moment I liked from this movie. The villains were weak, the premise was lame. IMO, you can't have suspense when there isn't any emotional investment in the protagonist.

I couldn't recommend this shit to anybody.

- spidey

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    SPlDEY said:
    I'm going to have to disagree. This felt about as homage-y as a Weird Al music video parody.

Aside from using music from the 80's, being set in the 80's, having people dress like they were in the 80's, celluloid comparable to that used in the 80's, some 80's audio tricks, etc.
    Or was it the thematic similarity to many 80's horror movies (i.e. overt references to Satanic Panic) or the adaptation of many tropes of 80's horror (i.e. the goofy friend, the babysitter all alone, etc.) or maybe it was the framing, the direction, the story development and so on...

I can't even think of one moment I liked from this movie. The villains were weak, the premise was lame. IMO, you can't have suspense when there isn't any emotional investment in the protagonist.

The idea of "good vs. evil" is so heavily rooted in the psyche of the vast majority of Western moviegoers that there really is very little so-called emotional investment required to make a successful horror movie. Most people can walk into a movie like House of the Devil and immediately identify the protagonist, and identify with them. The necessary amount of affect has been inured into the audience.
    Horror is largely rooted in the visceral, so attempts at "developing" characters are largely beside the point. That's not to say that there's no benefit to be gained from character development if you're aiming to make a "great movie" (or whatever), but it's largely irrelevant if you're aiming to make a successful horror. Half-baked attempts at character development have been the problem with a large number of horror movies of recent years because it derails the visceral aspects in favor of unnecessary "emotional" aspects.

That's not to say it was perfect by any means, but it was still one of the best of recent years.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Half-baked attempts at character development have been the problem with a large number of horror movies of recent years because it derails the visceral aspects in favor of unnecessary ???emotional??? aspects.

I'll agree with you on that, but I still feel that understanding that logic doesn't mean that good character development shouldn't be strived for by any film maker. I'm not a director or anything, but I love movies and how they effectively convey the language of storytelling.

As an Homage to 80's horror, i guess it was cute, but as a film I don't feel it stands up at all. My point is even If it actually was a film shot in the 80's it wouldn't have been a very good one. Like, don't get me wrong even Weird Al even does some pretty decent parody work, but to me it still feels very camp, and unauthentic. Too many gimmicks taking me away from the actual story.

- spidey

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    SPlDEY said:
    you can't have suspense when there isn't any emotional investment in the protagonist.

how was there not emotional investment in the main character? we are with her from the start of the film learning about her school pressures and money problems. not sure what else you need to empathize with her.

this was a simple, effective and well crafted film not dependent on a dumb plot device, f/x or gore (until the end) it creates a clausterphobic, paranoid and ominous atmosphere that only a few directors are able to do (Polanski, DePalma, Ferrera).

all the 80's revisionist stuff aside, although not perfect, HOTD is a very strong genre peice.