BBE British Bootlegging Enterprises

12345679»

Comments

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    How is this not a good look?

If Frank put those tracks on his podcast, then presumably he owns copies of the o.g's, right? So, how does that infringe the terms of Samy Benredjeb's license (as opposed to outright ownership of the sound recordings, I'm presuming)?

Here you go...

Copyright law gives the owner of copyright the exclusive right to control certain activities in relation to the work. For example, under US law, a copyright owner can control whether another person makes a copy of their work, makes changes to their work, distributes it to the public or makes a public performance of it. Consequently, any person other than the copyright owner who wishes to do any of the protected acts in relation to the work must secure permission from the copyright owner before doing so, unless an exception or exclusion applies. When you make a podcast, you potentially invoke several of copyright's exclusive rights, such as: * Copying the work to include it into a podcast; * Adapting or changing the work to include it into the podcast; * Making a work available as part of a podcast for transmission to members of the public; * Authorizing members of the public to make a copy of the podcast and use it according to the terms you apply to the podcast.[/b]

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    there is so much "look at me" ego bullsh*t in this thread, NAGL for real.

My passport has more stamps than yours. Here, look at it...I've already got it all scanned. WTF?

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    For real, I get emails from Africa every day.

• mannybolonemannybolone 15,032 Posts
    I think it's about time the moderators stepped in and closed this thread. People are looking worse off than when they first opened their mouth. Sure, it's in the whole SoulStrut spirit, but I think it's about time that Kon, Amir and Frank exchanged numbers on the PM and spoke about this personally.

peace.

FYI I ride for Kon, Amir and Frank. All good people in my books, and massive respect to all parties.

In all seriousness, I thought about this but I don't see cause here, especially since none of the three principals involved have (as far as I know) made such a request of any of the moderators.

What we've seen in this thread is a lot of stuff that probably shouldn't have been aired in public but it seems very clear that people made a conscious, rational choice to do so, knowing what the potential consequences could be. This isn't like the situation from the other month where someone was asking for divorce advice, perhaps not realizing the kind of liability they would be exposing themselves to in the process.

While I think egos have run amok here, it's all grown folk talking and if they want to put their shit out there, that's the choice they've made. Frank and Kon should have taken this to the PMs to begin with but no one forced their hand to keep it public.

If either Frank or Kon want this thread deleted, write Raj or one of the other moderators.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I am still confused about one aspect of the dispute. It appears that neither party had secured the copyright for the song when they came to understand they both wanted to license it. I gather that Frank offered to "compensate" K&A by buying back the record and offering other tracks to use. K&A were already down the road in production at the point and did not accept said offer. Soon after Frank found the copyright holder and began to enforce his licensing agreement. Is this how it went down?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I am still confused about one aspect of the dispute. It appears that neither party had secured the copyright for the song when they came to understand they both wanted to license it. I gather that Frank offered to "compensate" K&A by buying back the record and offering other tracks to use. K&A were already down the road in production at the point and did not accept said offer. Soon after Frank found the copyright holder and began to enforce his licensing agreement. Is this how it went down?

Yes, but with a heavy dose of:

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    This thread just killed 3 hours.

Some meaningless random thoughts...

People who get upset about someone's "self promotion" are likely jealous of the success said self promotion acheived.

It blows my mind that there are "celebrity diggers"....if this is true I should at least be the Steven Seagal of digging.

It further blows my mind that someone can walk into a store in NYC, buy a stack of LP's for top dollar, pull tracks off of each one, and get paid for doing so.

Stereotypes of some people are OK......others not so much.

Something is only worth what the buyer is willing to pay and the seller is willing to take for it at any given time.

I find the "But Frank doesn't even like Disco" argument pretty funny....If I'm a fisherman and I catch a fish I don't like to eat I'm still gonna sell it.

Musicians make music, businessmen make money...and both have skills.

If dude will post Frank's "back story" I can kill the rest of the afternoon.

Dreck Macht Speck

When airing out dirty laundry cumstains trump shitstains.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,640 Posts
    A back-story, background story, or backstory (or in games, the background of a character) is the literary device of a narrative chronologically earlier than, and related to, a narrative of primary interest. Generally it is the history of characters or other elements that underlie the situation existing at the main narrative's start.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I think it's about time the moderators stepped in and closed this thread. People are looking worse off than when they first opened their mouth. Sure, it's in the whole SoulStrut spirit, but I think it's about time that Kon, Amir and Frank exchanged numbers on the PM and spoke about this personally.

peace.

FYI I ride for Kon, Amir and Frank. All good people in my books, and massive respect to all parties.

In all seriousness, I thought about this but I don't see cause here, especially since none of the three principals involved have (as far as I know) made such a request of any of the moderators.

What we've seen in this thread is a lot of stuff that probably shouldn't have been aired in public but it seems very clear that people made a conscious, rational choice to do so, knowing what the potential consequences could be. This isn't like the situation from the other month where someone was asking for divorce advice, perhaps not realizing the kind of liability they would be exposing themselves to in the process.

While I think egos have run amok here, it's all grown folk talking and if they want to put their shit out there, that's the choice they've made. Frank and Kon should have taken this to the PMs to begin with but no one forced their hand to keep it public.

Deleting this thread would be a completely inappropriate use of moderators' power.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    A back-story, background story, or backstory (or in games, the background of a character) is the literary device of a narrative chronologically earlier than, and related to, a narrative of primary interest. Generally it is the history of characters or other elements that underlie the situation existing at the main narrative's start.

This is why taking the english language literally is so damn confusing.

"I got the back story on your ass"

• I found nothing on Waxidermy about this thread, maybe they're (or should that be their?) boutique enough.

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    Frank, these passports pictures aren't helping... actually on the contrary

One thing I cant understand, you keep looping back your - you dont understand copyright laws - statements.

The question that's still up is: why don't you HELP BBE be more legit, if this is what you've been after, and let THEM pay YOU so the ARTIST and YOU get money out of this.

This is all win-win.
    And the only thing keeping you from it is ego bullshit any grown man should be able to get over. All this, when someone pisses me off I go through huge amounts of work and time wasting operations to assure I feel like I showed them in the end is childish as hell and the opposite of being professional.

You also back it up by saying you went through even more work to do a remix/edit and got the rights to the video. So your then unbeatable and superior product is right?

Some things in life go different than we plan, some times we should accept it and try to get along with a deal all the parties can work with.

If your problem was BBE trying to be bogus, wouldn't you help them by making a deal to license it to the real artist?

That being said, I think all parties come off as NAGL and I'm not favoring anyone. I remember seeing your amazing Photoposts on here and I figured you have your life sorted out.

I would have called it a day ages ago and went onto the next "adventure" as you call it. As I said, you're not making it any better

but I figure this will never take a turn for the good unless people start dailing back on their (internet)egos

• djsheepdjsheep 3,640 Posts

This is why taking the english language literally is so damn confusing.

"I got the back story on your ass"

I got ass on the back of a story.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    I found nothing on Waxidermy about this thread, maybe they're (or should that be their?) boutique enough.

But they went for it.
    Frank is currently fighting on two frontiers.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,921 Posts
    How is this not a good look?

If Frank put those tracks on his podcast, then presumably he owns copies of the o.g's, right? So, how does that infringe the terms of Samy Benredjeb's license (as opposed to outright ownership of the sound recordings, I'm presuming)?

Here you go...

Copyright law gives the owner of copyright the exclusive right to control certain activities in relation to the work. For example, under US law, a copyright owner can control whether another person makes a copy of their work, makes changes to their work, distributes it to the public or makes a public performance of it. Consequently, any person other than the copyright owner who wishes to do any of the protected acts in relation to the work must secure permission from the copyright owner before doing so, unless an exception or exclusion applies. When you make a podcast, you potentially invoke several of copyright's exclusive rights, such as: * Copying the work to include it into a podcast; * Adapting or changing the work to include it into the podcast; * Making a work available as part of a podcast for transmission to members of the public; * Authorizing members of the public to make a copy of the podcast and use it according to the terms you apply to the podcast.[/b]

Just to clarify, I agree it's a copyright infringement, just as almost every embedded Divshare clip anywhere on this forum is. But having worked in music publishing for over ten years, I know a little about copyright, specifically the difference between a rights owner and a licensee, which is why I said;

If the o.g. label/rights owner, rather than the licensee, asked Frank to take the songs off his blog and he told them to fuck off, then that would be

...meaning that if Samy was concerned about the owner's rights being infringed, he could sic them onto Frank's podcast. Licensing a track rarely, if ever, gives the licensee any proprietary right - usually, you're licensing it for a limited and very specific use and nothing more. That doesn't grant you the right to tell anyone else what they can and can't do with the song - that's for the owners.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    So Frank, what did you expect to get out of this?

And in the end, what did you end up getting out of this?

• so does someone have an mp3 of this Bong song or what? free download preferable.

• FrankFrank 2,444 Posts
    So Frank, what did you expect to get out of this?

And in the end, what did you end up getting out of this?

- I posted this because BBE had refused to answer after receiving the scans of this contract proving theirs as a fraud manufactured by notorious scam artist "Digger Elias". A lowlife crook who will one day deserve his very own thread

- I wanted to expose these people for what they are

What did I get out of this?

- BBE didn't get to include the track on the vinyl version of their release and had to cease selling it digitally. The only way to buy it now generates money for the songwriter, producer and copyright owner and not for a supposed family member to the deceased label owner who as we proved only had a limited and now invalid distribution deal for the album and never owned any copyright to the song.

- I'm also thankful for the name calling, insults and exposed resentments from various Boutique Diggers and their sweaty handed groupies. Most of which were just meaningless names to me before, now I know a little bit more about who's who. Not really useful as none of them have any records I would ever trade for nor the money to buy from me - but good to know nevertheless.

- Also and maybe most importantly, it was because of this thread that I received an email from a man named Albert Jones. Albert lives in Berlin now where quite some exiled West African musicians took note of this thread, possibly alerted by Berlin based, pony tailed Xavier Naidoo (lol) player and hobbyist ethno honky who blames me for driving up prices and making his Ghanaian tourist store owner ask 50 Euro for his scratched up junk. From Albert's perspective this all seems to have looked differently though. Reading this all made him ask me if I would want to reissue an old album he had once recorded with a band called the Freedom Family. The record had once been released by EMI Nigeria and Ghanaian HMV, totaling in the tens of thousands of copies while the band had never been paid a single Naira or Cedi. From what he had read here, for example that I don't take any cut from reissue sales for myself,he trusted me to give him a better deal for the albums re-release. Should be out in a year or so.

- Plus it was a lot of fun in parts.

E_Daily said:
    blahblah...
    The question that's still up is: why don't you HELP BBE be more legit, if this is what you've been after, and let THEM pay YOU so the ARTIST and YOU get money out of this?
    ...blahblah

I got suckered into helping these fuckers once, at the time not knowing how this Diguer Superstar Comp hustle works.

Once more for the few of you who might be able to follow some simple facts:

A few years ago I licensed two tunes for BBE's previous boutique digger compilation Off Track Two. I signed bot cotracts directly from Gustave Bentho and Gilles Gonnas (Gnonnas Pedro's son) and was surprised right away about how cheap these fuckers are. The original records both tunes were mastered from were purchased ("dug up" hahahahaha...) for more money each and from consignment stock I had given to a well curated NYC specialty store for fine vinyl. This is why and how I know first hand that BBE pays the Boutique Digeur in question more money per record to fill his purse and then go shop around for "rarities" that had been dug up by other people than what BBE pays out in royalties. In other words, Amir gets his shopping sprees fully funded out of money which then gets accounted negatively to what is paid to the actual artist. Once the compilation is out, superstar diggeur strolls back into the boutique and returns the record for cash money. Nothing but a scam at the cost of the artist. Theoretically, I know for a fact that not a single track out of Amir's selection for Off Track 3 was licensed from the artist in question. Oh - and all of these tracks, every single one of them were bought at a well known Manhattan Record Boutique from consignment stock supplied and owned by me.

A shameful, lowlife scam that seems too complicated for the groupies but we all know they need their head for other things.

I never took or take money for my reissues. Except once when Traffic Ent. literally forced anunasked for K on me, I'm just human... but other then that I always just take 100 promo copies and ask the collaborating label in question to give all profits to the artist(s).

I just asked to have this deleted, not because I'm ashamed of anything I said but only because I don't have the time to keep having to come back here. If I don't answer, it looks like I can't or don't want to.

I honestly believe that what I said in this thread can answer any possible question anybody could ask regarding this matter.

Maybe don't delete it but lock it.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    don't delete it but lock it.