BBE British Bootlegging Enterprises

FrankFrank 2,444 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
Me:We have just last week released our compilation "Lagos Disco Inferno" which prominently features "boogie trip" as the first track and this song has somehow become the signature track of this release.We do own the exclusive copyright of "boogie trip" and have signed with Rev. Tony Essien who is the producer and co-author of said track.I would think it should be easy to understand how we can't accept the unauthorized publication of this track through a competing product.I will leave it up to the record label to serve you with a cease and desist order and to take further legal steps if needed.BBE:"...The consultant who did the licensing for the off track 3 compilation is away on compassionate leave and as soon as i can speak to him next week i will confirm what the status is regarding the license of that particular track. We had someone in Nigeria assisting with the project. Being from Ghana myself i know these things can be not always so straightforward re ownership. Either way just bear with me for about a week and i will get back to you..."Me:"Since I haven't heard back from you about this matter, I'm assuming you are willing to go ahead and publish your record including Doris Ebong "boogie trip" for which we own the exclusive copyright.You claiming "The consultant who did the licensing for the off track 3 compilation is away on compassionate leave" doesn't appear to be anything but an effort to gain time. Why would you need an consultant to tell you what you know as well as I do: You do not have any licensing for this track.Next thing will probably be you tell us that the record's already manufactured."BBE:"Can you send me your phone number please?"Me:"Let's keep this at emails, easier to document what was discussed.-We paid the songwriter and producer for the exclusive licensing of this track.-You don't have any license for it.-You can't release unlicensed material, especially not after being contacted by the licensing holder and asked not to.I think I was clear enough that I don't want you to release this track and you refused to comment on this demand.Off Track Vol. 3 is still being advertised as soon to be released including this title.This forces us to seek legal counsel so we can make sure our interest is being protected."BBE:"Sure. Whatever works for you.Cd was already pressed over a month ago....Hope we can find a solution."Me:"Our record just came out and we will not accept you publishing this track be it on CD, digitally or otherwise.That's the whole point in licensing something exclusively, isn't it?It's your own fault for manufacturing a CD that contains unlicensed material and thedistribution of a compilation that includes bootlegged material is against the law.You can't knowingly commit an illegal act and expect to "figure out compensation" later."The next section are excerpts from several subsequent emails and everything you're about to read are complete and utter lies as will be proven later.BBE:"Just want to inform you that Tony Essien does not have the rights to license you the Doris Ebong track as he has never been the master owner. All the recordings were a buy outs by PhonodiskBBE have a signed agreement for the rightful use of the track from the correct owner of the Doris Ebong master.I am passing on your email to correct owner as per his request. "..."The track was never owned by the artist or the producer.Your license is not legitimate. "..."The track was never owned by Tony Essien. "Me:"Putting the child of the label owner over the songwriter, producer and artist will not only put you in a very bad light publicity wise but will also not stand up in a court of law, be it in Europe or the US.You're more than welcome to fight over this.There is no question that you will be left holding the short hand of the stick.We have passed the matter onto out lawyer."BBE:"Tony Essien is NOT the owner of the Doris Ebong masters and did not have the power to sign the track of to you. I'm afraid you have been ripped off.BBE have the correct rights to the record.As such you may have a cease and desist coming your way now."In the meantime, my agent in Nigeria had done some research and this is what I wrote to BBE after I had received the results.Me:"I feel deeply sorry for you but I'm afraid you were ripped off.Tony Essien's company TEDD Records licensed the Doris Ebong record to Phonodisk for 2 years after its original release.Tony Essien doesn't only still own the original contract for this but also all master tapes for his record.Still, I'll give you bonus points for the boldness of yesterdays bluff attempt."BBE:"Just have your lawyer contact me. I am not interested in your mind games. "Me:"Count on it!"Just two days ago, I have finally received scans of the contract Tony Essien had made with Phonodisk and with it final proof that nobody else but Tony Essien was the owner of the copyright of this record. Of course I couldn't resist firing off a gleeful mail to BBE before passing the matter onto our lawyers in the US and Europe.Me:"Dear Peter,as you have asked for, we don't play games anymore.Attached you find the proof that the copyright to the Doris Ebong LP "All I need is your love" including the track "boogie trip" was never owned by Phonodisk, Mr. Ishola or his family.Should any copies of your CD that include this track hit the market, be prepared to be sued in a European court (where you will be stuck with all -including our -legal costs) as well as in a US court.You can also tell the person you signed your fraudulent license with that he will hear from a Nigerian lawyer which will make for an even more unpleasant experience than what's in store for you.Have a great weekend,yours sincerelyFrank"

Comments

• D.e.l.e.t.e.

• so frank, how did they respond to the documentation you sent in the last email?

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Brilliant.

• FrankFrank 2,444 Posts
    so frank, how did they respond to the documentation you sent in the last email?

No response yet but my guess is they drank their tea in anger.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Nicely done Frank. BBE is notorious for just this and hopefully this will force them to change their ways.

• Options
    Sonnage of the highest order.

• FrankFrank 2,444 Posts
    so frank, how did they respond to the documentation you sent in the last email?

No response yet but my guess is they drank their tea in anger.

they might just try to slough you off though if they think you are bluffing, which i am sure you aren't. in the dudes last email to you he dares you to get your lawyer to draft a cease and desist letter and you say something like "you can bet on it" but then you emailed him again after that.

until you get some letter from them that has them admitting that they don;t hold the rights and will not proceed to distribute the cd, i think that this is not over. if they keep pushing back after your last email, you have to get your lawyer on the case...

They already received a cease and desist.

My guess is they were counting on us not being able to source the original contract.
    Usually paper work like this got lost and we were very, very lucky that this wasn't the case here.

They offered the son of the deceased label owner to sign a contract with them. Of course he didn't turn down the money. We had signed with Tony Essien. Would we have gone to court without the contract, chances are they would have gotten away with this.

I'm no legal expert but with the evidence that we have, I guess this now should be an open and shut.

The physical CDs are probably already shipped to the distributors and digital downloads are already being sold so I guess it's on...

We should now even have grounds to send cease and desists to any distributer carrying this product.

• wow you finally stuck your head out and went there..surprise it took this long! anyway, let me give the real story here. about a year ago frank offered for me to come by his spot because he had a lot of african records that he knew would be a good fit for me. he knew i was working on off track v. 3 and he was like i can help find the cats too. so i went by his house and bought 5 records from him four of which i used on this new comp. he kept saying if you need help researching these cats i can certainly help. he even gave me a number of one of the artists Lemmy who he said could also help (the # didn't work).

so i paid a stupid amount of money for those 5 records and submitted the track listing to bbe. by the way, i specifically asked for african disco and boogie records but you kept playing me wack ass african funk records. you didn't even know what a disco record sounded like until kept having to go thru more stuff....it was to the point where i was going to give up. anyway, about a month after that bbe wrote and said that were having a hard time finding these artists. therefore, i took frank up on his word and wrote him. i sent the whole track listing for my side to see if he could help like he said he would. this guy writes back saying i cannot help you now because i plan on making a comp now with at least four of the records i sold you. i am like wtf!!!!???!!! needless, to say, i was pissed because how you going to sell me some shit that you go ahead later to comp as well. in addition, you never had any intention of doing a comp. at that time. plus, you SAID you would help me find the artists if i needed the help.

all you did was say i need the money and you cannot tell me what i can and cannot do when i confronted you about the shady ass shit you did when selling the records. yeah, you offered me my money back but i didn't want it back and i just settled with we are going to have comps out with the same songs. then a month ago you start on the bullshit again about you own the doris track and that I must take it off my comp. if this is the case why didn't you say something when i say you at wfmu in the fall..i am sure you were working on clearing the track then...you could have said something then but you didn't! i could have not used the track at all, but then again who knows what other tracks that i bought from you may have used too.

if you want to be the only one with this track on a comp then you should have sold me the record in the first place. your shady ass bizness and huge ego are weak sauce. i will not be intimated by you or your ego. i have spoken to soooo many people about this situation that know you or know of you...they all say frank is a shady ass dealer who is not to be trusted. now everyone on this board can jock ride you but i am not. i know you for what you are: shady! people also need to know all sides of the story.

on another note, people to know that when says he is "helping" people in afircan or paying "good" to my agents in africa to help find shit that is full of shit! trust me, i got the whole back story on ya ass!!!

lastly, you have always felt some type of way about kon and I..don't know if it is jealous but you need to find a new hobby!!

amir

• frank, this is a private matter, putting this on blast soulstrut is weak... but predictable. it further displays your imperialistic, controlling nature.

so, soulstrut...before you all swing on franks nuts....theres alot you dont know... prior to any pending litigation, slander and accusations...... ....theres a back story not being told...if amir wishes to chime in, youll get to hear it.

this all has to do with new off track vol 3.

specifically amirs side. the track in question is a track that frank SOLD amir... KNOWING HE WAS GOING TO SUBMIT IT.

frank.. your just not the homie.
    if you were none of this would be where its at. in the past youve taken some snyde, condescending shots at me...for reasons only you know.

every song on my side has been cleared, so how is this bootlegging ?

3 sides to every story. yours, mine and the truth.. which takes no sides.

the attempt was made to clear this up, and sort out payment.
    you thwarted that attempt.

heres a legit question for you..
    if your all about the artist getting the proper dues, exposure, and payment, it seems odd youd have a problem with one specific track appearing on 2 separate comps... one of which would get much further exposure.
    why would you not want the song to appear on another mix ?
    what sense does that make.
    your need to be the only one with this track on a mix is stifling for the music and the artist.
    this really isnt about shedding light on obscure music, now is it ?
    its about your egotistical crusade for props and glory.

YOU DONT EVEN LIKE DISCO.

sadly it seems you forgot, the music is bigger than us.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    deleted after hearing both sides.

• FrankFrank 2,444 Posts

sadly it seems you forgot, the music is bigger than us.

That's why I don't put my own mug on ther cover when I put out a compilation.

• FrankFrank 2,444 Posts
    Amir, as I said, I offered to buy the records back.
    I also don't understand how you think buying a record entitles you to comp it without licensing it.

We had trouble finding Doris Ebong and even went into the first manufacturing run without having fully cleared this one track. When we finally did get licensing sorted. I contacted you, told you that we had exclusively licensed the track and offered you to provide you with a substitute track free of charge and you turned me down. This was a month and a half ago.

I then contacted BBE directly and they at first played for time and then signed a bogus license with the son of the deceased label owner, claiming that he and not Tony Essien who is the producer and co-author of this song owns the copyright.

They even threatened me with a cease and desist claiming that they and not us were the lawful copyright holder.

Well, now I have the proof that all they have is a bogus contract they could just as well have signed with the studio's janitor.

• sadly it seems you forgot, the music is bigger than us.

That's why I don't put my own mug on ther cover when I put out a compilation.

wow...thats your come back ? damn that was weak.
    funny that alot of the records i own have the ARTISTS FACES on them... you muppet.

yet your lost ass comes on soulstrut constantly looking for props with your pics...then looking for art design and branding advice from people on this board.. what a joke!... your clueless in that dept.
    this is why your not an artist/dj/producer....stay in your lane.

i make my living doing this, while you could NEVER.

• Amir, as I said, I offered to buy the records back.
    I also don't understand how you think buying a record entitles you to comp it without licensing it.

We had trouble finding Doris Ebong and even went into the first manufacturing run without having fully cleared this one track. When we finally did get licensing sorted. I contacted you, told you that we had exclusively licensed the track and offered you to provide you with a substitute track free of charge and you turned me down. This was a month and a half ago.

I then contacted BBE directly and they at first played for time and then signed a bogus license with the son of the deceased label owner, claiming that he and not Tony Essien who is the producer and co-author of this song owns the copyright.

They even threatened me with a cease and desist claiming that they and not us were the lawful copyright holder.

Well, now I have the proof that all they have is a bogus contract they could just as well have signed with the studio's janitor.

you have yet to answer as to why you have a problem with a disco track, that you knew was going to be submitted for a mix...appearing on 2 comps.
    that clearly that would only shine more light on the artists music. what harm would there be in that ?

• I don't mean to interject here - but can someone share (i.e stream) the track in question? - i'd be interested to see what all the fuss is about.

• listen man, as usual you totally skip over the whole thing that started this: if you don't want anyone else to have that song then you should have NOT sold it to me!! also like I said, you saw me at wfmu and didn't say shit about it....when you could have. plus, why should people on this board take you fucking word for anything????? off track volume 3 is NOT a bootleg!! bbe has tried and they found the owner of the label to license the track. it is not like they didn't try to license the shit at all correctly. your whole thing throughout all of this has been "i want to be the only one with this track on my comp." you don't are about doris or any other african artist at all!! if you did then you would not mind us giving the label, doris, tony or whomever money towards the cause. your whole style is chump!

amir

• FrankFrank 2,444 Posts
    frank, this is a private matter, putting this on blast soulstrut is weak...

No, it's not a private matter and it's not between you or Amir and me, this is between BBE and me.

specifically amirs side. the track in question is a track that frank SOLD amir... KNOWING HE WAS GOING TO SUBMIT IT.

I sold a record because that's what I do to fund my record buying.
    I didn't sell "the track".
    This was way before I decided to put out a Nigerian Disco (or should I say "wack ass african funk") comp. When I did start on my own comp, I told Amir and offered to buy back the Doris Ebong record.

every song on my side has been cleared, so how is this bootlegging ?

I didn't call you a bootlegger.
    BBE is selling a song they don't own the copyright for. This makes them bootleggers.

heres a legit question for you..
    if your all about the artist getting the proper dues, exposure, and payment, it seems odd youd have a problem with one specific track appearing on 2 separate comps... one of which would get much further exposure.
    why would you not want the song to appear on another mix ?

We paid for exclusive licensing. All other labels who specialize in African re-issues work this way.

your need to be the only one with this track on a mix is stifling for the music and the artist.

I licensed 3 tracks for your last comp and in doing so ran around Cotonou for days. Didn't get compensated for that but at least now I know how shitty BBE paid the artists in question.

YOU DONT EVEN LIKE DISCO.

I never met you, how would you know or care about what I like or don't like?

• but i do know what you like and don't...i saw it firsthand!

• FrankFrank 2,444 Posts
    listen man, as usual you totally skip over the whole thing that started this: if you don't want anyone else to have that song then you should have NOT sold it to me!!

I said it already above but I can repeat it if you like:

I sold a record because that's what I do to fund my record buying.
    I didn't sell "the track".
    This was way before I decided to put out a Nigerian Disco (or should I say "wack ass african funk") comp. When I did start on my own comp, I told you about it and offered to buy back the Doris Ebong record.

off track volume 3 is NOT a bootleg!! bbe has tried and they found the owner of the label to license the track. it is not like they didn't try to license the shit at all correctly.

Wrong.
    When I told them that we own the copyright, they signed a bogus contract with the son of the record label owner. Then they threatened me, saying that our contract was not valid. No I have proof that we signed with the copyright owner and they didn't.

They are selling music that they do not own the copyright to.
    This makes them bootleggers.

As much as I feel bad about hurting your feelings, your record company knowingly violated our copyright and we're not going to let them get away with it.

your whole thing throughout all of this has been "i want to be the only one with this track on my comp."

Guilty as charged, now what are you going to do about it?
    Violate our copyright?

you don't are about doris or any other african artist at all!! if you did then you would not mind us giving the label, doris, tony or whomever money towards the cause. your whole style is chump!

amir

Now if you want to take this to a personal level, I might just as well go ahead and call you a boutique digger.

Ouch!

• frank... if this is between you and bbe.. why then would you air your dirty laundry on a PUBLIC chat board... so you can look good ?
    that really really says alot about you.
    how juvenile..and transparent.

as a reader of a public forum on the internet...regarding one of my endeavors... since you decided to share a private matter with the world...now it most certainly is about myself and amir...and the story behind it all. dont think your just going to skate by looking like some champion savior.

youve taken shots before, and this was you doing it again.. revealing only a portion of the story, to make yourself look good.

why do i need to meet you to know what your musical tastes are ?
    you post mixes up all the time... none of its disco...youve never been known for it... now you want to get the help of another soulstrut member to do "disco edits"
    get off the bandwagon.

the truth is this .. all that mumbo jumbo talk, court, cease and desist.. this could have been sorted out via payment to... i guess you, since your the exclusive owner...but you stomped that out.

• FrankFrank 2,444 Posts

Dude... you are clearly suffering from delusions of grandeur.

I made a living exclusively from dj-ing from 1994 to 2005.
    1996-2000 in NYC, the rest of the time in Berlin.

I'm also fairly sure that I made a better living doing this than you ever did or will.

When I was still spinning funk 45s in Berlin, I had 400-500 people at each of my events and made enough cash to fly to the US for extended digging trips at least once every year.

When I left Berlin for Africa I financed my 3 years of travels and digging down there by subletting my funk night to a dj friend of mine.

I didn't have a day job in 16 years.

And now get off my lawn.

• FrankFrank 2,444 Posts

the truth is this .. all that mumbo jumbo talk, court, cease and desist.. this could have been sorted out via payment to... i guess you, since your the exclusive owner...but you stomped that out.

You got that right.

So if someone refuses to sell you something, you just take it regardless.

How do you define stealing?

• Now if you want to take this to a personal level, I might just as well go ahead and call you a boutique digger.

Ouch!
    the whole thing is personal with you. youve revealed that months ago in other posts.

not once have i bought records from you, and not 1 boutique where i live. save that bs.

I know there are no boutiques in africa, just poor "agents" who dig for you.. and connect you to the other poor underpaid people that you buy from, that havent a clue as to the actual value of the vinyl you end up selling to "fund" your wheeling and dealing. your a real hero.
    the world has seen this behavior for centuries now.

i figure the ratio must be ... they get maaaaybe 10%... a mere fraction of the actual value you resell for.

your sob story of how much you spend to make it all happen...waaaaaaaa waaaaaaa the wambulance is on the way.
    STRAIGHT UP....THAT METHOD IS A LUXURY FOR THE RICH AND PRIVILEGED. STOP FRONTIN'.

• FrankFrank 2,444 Posts

I know there are no boutiques in africa, just poor "agents" who dig for you.. and connect you to the other poor underpaid people that you buy from, that havent a clue as to the actual value of the vinyl you end up selling to "fund" your wheeling and dealing. your a real hero.

i figure the ratio must be ... they get maaaaybe 10%... a mere fraction of the actual value you resell for.

your sob story of how much you spend to make it all happen...waaaaaaaa waaaaaaa the wambulance is on the way.
    STRAIGHT UP....THAT METHOD IS A LUXURY FOR THE RICH AND PRIVILEGED. STOP FRONTIN'.

My main agent in Lagos makes about $30.000 a year with records.

He receives 50% of store and ebay sales.
    Ask J. Paycheck, he wires him the money.

He would take offense at you calling him poor.
    How much do you make as a super star dj?

• i make my living doing this, while you could NEVER.

I'm also fairly sure that I made a better living doing this than you ever did or will.

When I was still spinning funk 45s in Berlin, I had 400-500 people at each of my events and made enough cash to fly to the US for extended digging trips at least once every year.

When I left Berlin for Africa I financed my 3 years of travels and digging down there by subletting my funk night to a dj friend of mine.

And now get off my lawn.

thanks for your bio. awesome. your a one trick pony selector.

yawn....tomorrow is now..
    key word in this sentence of yours:

I'm also fairly sure that I "MADE" a better living doing this than you ever did or will.

whos booking you frank ?

all in all your posting of this in the 1st place... you knew the deal to begin with and you kinda look like an asshole for it, regardless of your gripes.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    This thread is ugly. Prolly best for both of you guys to get it deleted, as much fun as it is to read.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    BBE should reissue this thread.

• I know there are no boutiques in africa, just poor "agents" who dig for you.. and connect you to the other poor underpaid people that you buy from, that havent a clue as to the actual value of the vinyl you end up selling to "fund" your wheeling and dealing. your a real hero.

My main agent in Lagos makes about $30.000 a year with records.

He receives 50% of store and ebay sales.
    Ask J. Paycheck, he wires him the money.

He would take offense at you calling him poor.

How much do you make as a superstar dj

fuck your agent... what about the people who have the records to begin with.

if your main agent makes that... in comparison to your take, it must be really high.

im no superstar by any means......as far as how much i earn.. do you want it in respect, skill or monetary figures ?

this is tired, i took your bait... and now im done.

for those reading all of this...enough with the shots....this is quite simple.

frank is the "owner" that wont let anybody else play with your toys. you feel good ?

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    i will never understand how people that seem to like the same music can fight over it, all this exclusivity s*it is really beyond me.
    Lets hope you can fix this.. money getting spent on lawyers will not help the original artist, and the peanuts that you earn with one track of a 20+ tracks comp in these times will maybe pay the petrol to the court.

• FrankFrank 2,444 Posts

And now get off my lawn.

thanks for your bio. awesome. your a one trick pony selector.

yawn....tomorrow is now..
    key word in this sentence of yours:

I'm also fairly sure that I "MADE" a better living doing this than you ever did or will.

whos booking you frank ?

all in all your posting of this in the 1st place... you knew the deal to begin with and you kinda look like an asshole for it, regardless of your gripes.

I appreciate your concern, I played downstairs at Southpaw last night to a room full of dancers, made $700 I think but I could be wrong since I was too drunk to count it and at home placed the money on top of another stack of cash I had sitting on the kitchen counter. Not a lot but will buy me and the wife a decent dinner and a good bottle of wine tonight.

I have to admitt to not having any bookings for the next two months though but that's because I'm going away for a 6 week vacation that I prefer to keep record-unrelated.

Coming back from my vacation, I'm going to leave for a short tour in Europe where I'm playing in Stuttgart, Berlin, Cork, Dublin and Helsinki. Sadly I had to cancel on Oslo, Copenhagen and Amsterdam because I was asked to play the summer stage at Central Park and have to fly back to NY a week earler to make it.

Now tell me a little about your life, it's fun to get to know each other better.

On second thought, I think I'm going to switch off my computer and do something more rewarding instead...

Enjoy your weekend, sunshine!

Frank