To sell or not to sell...

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited March 2010 in Strut Central
I had someone contact me a few weeks ago who seems determined to buy my copy of the Psychedelic Aliens EP off of me. I first told him it's not for sale but when he kept asking, I couldn't help but think why I shouldn't sell it, once it's reissued and if the price was right so I mentioned how I would want serious money for it, well into the 4 digits and almost hoped that I would never hear back from him again but this is what I received as an answer: "So if you were ever to sell your EP with the Picture Sleeve (of course after you re-issue it) I know you would want a shitload of money for it, well into the four figures, but can you give me a price range that you would probably let it go at? (ex. $3000) now this is just an example, not an offer, I do not like to send offers that insult people."I'm not the sort of collectro who hordes stuff to sit on forever... I'm all into the thrill of the hunt, the rush of listening to new, unheard records and the excitement to play them out but I don't need any record to be in my posession forever. Theoretically that is...Somehow, the thought of letting this go just pains me.I know of two more copies of this but mine od the only one with the picture sleeve.Now this man seems to genuinly, really want this record and if 3 grand is his first offer or better 'example" how he puts it, I probably could ask for 5 and let go if he bites or forget about it if he balks. I know it's idiotic but I just can't tell if making 5 grand will make me more happy than owning this record. Especially since I also have both of their other two releases and I wouldn't anymore own their entire discography.

Comments

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    Damn!

At first I was thinking eat the money for sure, it's just a record.

Then again, it's just some cash. What would you do with it. Would the happiness you got from whatever the extra $5000 bought you match the pride/sense of accomplishment/whatever other emotions you get whenever you see that PAs picture cover peeking out of the crates?

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I'd say keep it (for now, at least). You can always change your mind and sell it down the road. But if you sell it now, you likely wouldn't have the opportunity to get the record back a couple of years from now if you came to regret that decision.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Unless you need the doe to eat or fix the roof or pay for medical fees you should only sell such a rare and special item in order to buy another rare and special item that you want even more. And if nothing comes to mind you should keep it. This guy's only made this LP feel even more coveted. 5 grand in comparison just feels common (very nice, but common).

• my 2 cents: from the sounds of it this record is truly rare, you want to keep it and he wants it super badly and obviously has some serious dough to lay down for it. you're in a killer bargaining position (only true balleurs spend multi-thousands on records). buddy likely realizes this may be his one and only opportunity.

well-into the 4 digits to me means in excess of 5,000. tell him to make an offer between 5,000-10,000 and you'll consider it.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    I'd keep it, because I'm sure the record is something that you will always associate with an amazing part of your life, something you wouldn't want to part with.

• What would Rey do?

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    What would Rey do?

That's a good question. I think Frank should refrain from doing anything until Rey chimes in.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Sell it, go back to Africa with the $ and find other raer.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Make sure the reissue isn't a piece of garbage, and then decide.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    being able to say, "I have a record worth ten g's" is worth 15 g's, easily...I'd imagine. I vote: KEEP.

and send me a re-issue for the sage advice which upon ye i just dropped

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    KEEP IT!!!!!!!

Peace,Xavier

• JusMeJusMe 68 Posts
    Sell it, go back to Africa with the $ and find other raer.

• Unless you need the doe to eat or fix the roof or pay for medical fees you should only sell such a rare and special item in order to buy another rare and special item that you want even more.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Thanx, I guess now I can keep it without feeling too guilty about it.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    I had someone contact me a few weeks ago who seems determined to buy my copy of the Psychedelic Aliens EP off of me. I first told him it's not for sale but when he kept asking, I couldn't help but think why I shouldn't sell it, once it's reissued and if the price was right so I mentioned how I would want serious money for it, well into the 4 digits and almost hoped that I would never hear back from him again but this is what I received as an answer:

"So if you were ever to sell your EP with the Picture Sleeve (of course after you re-issue it) I know you would want a shitload of money for it, well into the four figures, but can you give me a price range that you would probably let it go at? (ex. $3000) now this is just an example, not an offer, I do not like to send offers that insult people."

I'm not the sort of collectro who hordes stuff to sit on forever... I'm all into the thrill of the hunt, the rush of listening to new, unheard records and the excitement to play them out but I don't need any record to be in my posession forever. Theoretically that is...

Somehow, the thought of letting this go just pains me.
    I know of two more copies of this but mine od the only one with the picture sleeve.

Now this man seems to genuinly, really want this record and if 3 grand is his first offer or better 'example" how he puts it, I probably could ask for 5 and let go if he bites or forget about it if he balks. I know it's idiotic but I just can't tell if making 5 grand will make me more happy than owning this record. Especially since I also have both of their other two releases and I wouldn't anymore own their entire discography.

Keep it, Frank. The intangible feelings you associate with the record far outweigh the tangible money you'll make from selling it. You'll make more money (by whatever way you sustain yourself), but the LP is a rare jewel associated with incredibly positive sentiments than are irreplaceable. Follow your heart, bro!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Follow your heart, bro!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

That's what I'd call golden advice!

Thanx!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Follow your heart, bro!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

That's what I'd call golden advice!

Thanx!

You're welcome, Frank. I tend to value the intangible over the tangible anyway. A lot of the decisions I've made in life have been based on this premise (e.g., leaving a lucrative consulting career to become a professor, leaving a tenured prof job because of poor, non-work quality of life in the location, yet having to earn tenure again in the new, higher-quality location, etc.). For these reasons, I have low cholesterol, blood pressure, I'm debt-free, and I sleep like a baby at night.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Frank, I always remembered one thing you have said on here, that was money can be made anywhere or anyway, but only a rare record comes around once in awhile. Not your exact words, you get the point.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    It's not really an answerable question until the prospective buyer gives you a hard figure to consider. It's not as if there isn't a figure at which it would be dumb not to sell it. And I know you aren't a dumb man. At least find out what the guy's max is, then use that number to bolster the legend.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    I'd keep it, because I'm sure the record is something that you will always associate with an amazing part of your life, something you wouldn't want to part with.

this is very real. you can always (sometimes) rebuy the record but never that sentimental feeling association you have with the first time.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

this is very real. you can always (sometimes) rebuy the record but never that sentimental feeling association you have with the first time.

Exactly.

I've sold a ton of records over the years and can't really remember one single fond memory associated with the money I've made from them. For instance, I do not recall with great relish the time I paid my rent in May 2007 entirely with record money, or whatever. On the other hand, I can go on for a painfully long time about finding and having certain records.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Bootleg a copy and sell him that....

But seriously if its the ONLY known decent copy and you had to work hard just to find it then you should keep that to pass on to your kids one day...

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    you can always (sometimes) rebuy the record but never that sentimental feeling association you have with the first time.

COLLECTRO'S REMORSE. TAKE THAT SOFT SHIT TO WAXIDERMY.COM

kidding aside, i agree with that sentiment.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    keep it, anything that rare & special to you deserves to be cherished.

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    is it reissued yet? remember beeing mindblown by the mp3s when you originally posted it

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    oh and i would keep the record, frame it with some photos from the trip or something. a holy grail that actually deserves the word holy.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I'm an archivist at a research library/museum. Just yesterday I attended a meeting with members of our collections department to discuss the "treasures" in our collections (we're applying to be featured on a television show focusing on treasures locked away in museums).

Anyway, many of the items that I brought to the table were quite interesting (and rare), but the particular copies that we possess were simply purchased at auction and have no real "story". For example, our 2 copies of the John Eliot bible ... first bible printed in the New World, printed in the Algonquin language in 1641 ... interesting book. But our copies aren't tied to anyone of interest. They were purchased at auction and that's that.

However, the folks from the collections department chose to focus only on items that had an interesting back story. For example, a pair of snowshoes (8' feet long) had been in the possession of a woman who served as a double agent between the Nazis and the British. While that didn't say anything about the snowshoes themselves, it instantly made them more fun to talk about.

So, for the sake of the record itself, keep it. That record is more interesting and valuable to everyone because of the first-hand stories that only you can tell about it. Obviously, you have sold and will continue to sell piles of records that you can tell stories about. But this one is your holy grail. It belongs with you.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Many good reason to keep it said here. I understand your idea about not being a hoarder/collectro, but that doesn't apply to a record like this - you can't 'hoard' the only known copy!

It will only go up in value unless the whole world falls apart, and owning it is part of your growing story. Even $5000 - $10,000 is, sadly, chump change these days. Unless you're buying a house or something with the proceeds, you'll never get back what you sold when it's gone.

• Frank,
    I sold one of my beloved Los Angeles records a year ago to another strutter for four figures. I did it because I was dead bent on proving to myself that I have no reason to keep something I paid a dollar for when money was offered for it - I didn't want to feel that tied to a material possession, I mean they are only records, it's not something I made.

I spent the money on whatever, it's gone and now so is the record and god dammit I'm mad I sold it. I know I'll never find it in the field again. I really regret that lesson I taught myself.

Don't sell it.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    your house could burn down and then you'd feel like a gump for not selling it.