Blues 78 Collectros (RR)

funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
From the NYTJuly 12, 2009They???ve Got Those Old, Hard-to-Find BluesBy AMANDA PETRUSICHJOHN HENEGHAN tugged a large shellac disc from its brown paper sleeve, placed it on a turntable and gently nudged a needle into place. Behind him, in the corner of his East Village apartment, sat 16 wooden crates, each filled with meticulously cataloged 78-r.p.m. records. The coarse, crackling voice of the blues singer Charley Patton, performing ???High Water Everywhere Part 1,??? his startling account of the 1927 Mississippi River flood, rose from the speakers, raw and unruly. The record is worth about $8,000.Mr. Heneghan, 41, is part of a small but fervent community of record collectors who for decades have hunted, compulsively and competitively, for 78s: the extraordinarily fragile 10-inch discs, introduced near the turn of the 20th century and made predominantly of shellac, that contain one two- to three-minute performance per side. At a time when music fans expect songs to be delivered instantaneously (and often at zero cost) online, scouring the globe for a rare record ??? and paying thousands of dollars for it ??? might seem ludicrous. (A rarer Patton record could command $15,000 to $20,000.)But according to some, the rare-record business is booming, despite the recession and the devaluation of music as a physical product. ???Prices have been rising at a phenomenal rate, as people take money out of the stock market and out of different real estate investments and look for a place to put it,??? said John Tefteller, a collector who makes his living dealing in rare records. He noted a particular spike last fall, when the economy first faltered.Others, like Mark Berresford, who edits VJM???s Jazz & Blues Mart, the oldest blues and jazz magazine still in print, are more cautious about looking to rare records for financial stability. ???If one is considering collecting rare 78s solely as an investment, one should seek professional advice as to what should be purchased and from whom,??? Mr. Berresford wrote in an e-mail message.By any standard 78s are unwieldy, impractical and unstable. By the mid-1950s they had been mostly replaced by 33 1/3 r.p.m. long-playing albums and 45 r.p.m. singles. Collectors of 78s are enticed in part by the thrill of the quest, which they consider unmatched by a mouse click.???I???m not proud of the fact that I have to chase these records down like a maniac,??? said Mr. Heneghan, who supports himself by working as a video technician. (He also performs in an old-time duo, Eden and John???s East River String Band.) Before he became friendly with other collectors, he said, he felt ???sleazy and weird.??????I knew I was doing it because I liked it, but it???s strange when you can???t relate to one single other person,??? he said. ???You obviously start to question ??? like, is there something wrong with me????Although most collectors subspecialize by genre, whether jazz or classical or country, it???s early American rural blues ??? loose acoustic laments, recorded before 1935 and performed by artists who were born in or near the Mississippi Delta ??? that inspires the highest prices and the most fevered pursuits. ???The early blues material from the ???20s and ???30s is the hottest material of all,??? Mr. Tefteller said in a phone interview. He said that on average a rare jazz 78 might sell for $1,500 to $5,000, whereas sales for a comparable blues record would start at $5,000.Blues music is in part mythological; its legend involves sweltering juke joints, homemade whiskey and Faustian bargains at rural crossroads. A furniture company in a largely white Midwestern suburb is rarely evoked in these reveries, but in the late 1920s and early 1930s Paramount Records ??? an arm of the Wisconsin Chair Company, a manufacturer of wooden phonograph cabinets in Port Washington, Wis. ??? became an unlikely home for blues legends like Patton, Blind Blake, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Son House and Skip James. Paramount???s blues releases ??? especially its ???race??? records with label numbers in the 12000s and 13000s ??? are among the most coveted records in the world.???There are some people who would kill their own mother for the only copy of a Son House record,??? Mr. Heneghan said. ???And they sure as hell would kill your mother, and you.???Mr. Tefteller, 50, is one of the world???s most prolific collectors of Paramount blues. Because these 78s are so scarce ??? of the thousands presumably pressed, many were lost, broken or melted down, and of the 1,356 titles said to have been issued in the 12000-13000 series, roughly one-third or more are of other genres ??? his collection (500 to 600, he said) is staggering in its comprehension. As Mr. Heneghan said in an e-mail message, Mr. Tefteller pursues complete runs of every Paramount blues artist he considers important. ???This makes him completely insane, which alone would make me like him even if he weren???t such a nice guy,??? Mr. Heneghan said.Mr. Tefteller lives in rural Oregon but spends much of the year traversing the country for fresh stock, placing ???Records Wanted??? advertisements in antiques catalogs and The Farmer???s Almanac. (His Paramount 78s are not for resale.) He said he receives about a hundred calls a day, most yielding inconsequential results. ???Records have a way of hiding,??? he said.These particular records, he explained, are a finite commodity. ???I would doubt that there are a hundred total Charley Patton records left in the world,??? he said. Other artists??? discographies are even more limited: only eight copies of various 78s by Son House (who recorded eight sides, or four records, for Paramount) and 15 copies of discs by Skip James (who recorded 18 sides) appear to remain.Last month a batch of hand-labeled Paramount test pressings unexpectedly appeared on eBay. The seller, Patrick Cather, discovered the records (alternate takes by Blind Blake, Ma Rainey, Papa Charlie Jackson and others) at an antiques store in Birmingham, Ala. Mr. Tefteller, who uses software to place bids in the last few seconds of an auction, successfully purchased everything he was interested in.In 2002 Mr. Tefteller mailed fliers to every resident within 100 miles of Paramount???s former studio site in Grafton, Wis. ???I flooded the area, and then I sat at the Best Western in Port Washington and fielded phone calls at the hotel for days,??? he said.Contemporary Grafton is not a hotbed of blues appreciation. ???A lot of the elderly people here don???t understand what the big deal is,??? said Angela Mack, the chairwoman of the Paramount Plaza Walk of Fame there.But his persistence paid off. One call produced the only known copy of King Solomon Hill???s blistering 1932 blues sides ???My Buddy Blind Papa Lemon???/???Times Has Done Got Hard.??? ???I said, ???O.K., put it back in the sleeve and put it somewhere where you???re not going to drop anything on it, and please don???t even touch it until I get there,??? ??? he recalled. ???She got a nice pile of hundred-dollar bills from me for that one.???In 2006 Mr. Tefteller also purchased Son House???s ???Clarksdale Moan???/???Mississippi County Farm Blues,??? another long-missing Paramount release. ???I know the name of the person I bought it from, but he???s very paranoid and doesn???t want anybody to talk to him,??? he said. ???It was found somewhere in the South is all he would tell me, and I think he got it from the person who actually found it, but I don???t know. The more I pressed him, the more it was clear if I didn???t shut up, I wasn???t getting the record. I shut up and paid him.???Mr. Tefteller declined to specify the purchase price. ???Let???s just say tens of thousands,??? he said.The acquisition spurred a fuss. Richard Nevins, a prominent collector and the president of Shanachie Entertainment, which released the recovered Son House sides on its Ya
zoo label in 2006 (on ???The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of,??? a two-CD set of prewar rarities), said in an e-mail interview that the discovery was ???a big, big, big, big deal.???In many ways 78 collecting is a meritocracy: the most compelling songs earn the strongest responses. The Son House discovery was monumental, Mr. Nevins said, because ???Clarksdale Moan??? ??? a rich, rollicking ode to the artist???s hometown ??? is considered a great record.The stakes are also high from a preservationist standpoint. If collectors weren???t tracking these records, the songs might be lost entirely, and speculation surrounding Paramount???s missing metal masters (the original transcriptions of a performance) has only amplified the significance of the remaining 78s. According to Alex van der Tuuk???s book ???Paramount???s Rise and Fall??? (Mainspring Press, 2003), in 1942 the bulk of the masters ??? by then corroded ??? were carted off by rail for reuse in World War II.???The building where the metal masters had been stored didn???t have any insulation, and pigeons came into that building, and you can imagine what a bird does to a metal master,??? Mr. van der Tuuk said by phone from his home in the Netherlands. Still, rumors ??? that they were hurled into the Milwaukee River by disgruntled former employees, or used to patch rat holes in chicken coops ??? persist. In 2006 the PBS program ???The History Detectives??? arranged for a team of divers to scour the bottom of the Milwaukee River. They came up empty-handed.There are still records missing. Willie Brown, an enigma even by blues standards, cut six sides for Paramount in 1930, and while his ???M&O Blues???/???Future Blues??? has been recovered (Mr. Tefteller owns one of three known copies), the others have yet to emerge.Mr. Heneghan remains optimistic. ???Maybe I???m more likely to believe in ghosts and aliens and the missing Willie Brown,??? he said with a shrug. Mr. Tefteller has a standing offer of $25,000 for either of the other two records.While most 78 collectors are devoted, educated fans of the music they gather, they???re also desperate for the experience of the thing itself ??? for the colored label and inky, gleaming surface, the sizzle and spit of a needle slipping into groove. Even when a rare record is unearthed and made available digitally ??? as with Mr. Tefteller???s Son House discovery ??? its value does not decrease. ???You would think that it would,??? Mr. Heneghan said sheepishly. ???Like, ???Well, now I don???t need it.??? But obviously, although we all like to think differently, collecting is about possessing an object.???In the liner notes to ???The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of,??? Mr. Nevins recounts approaching a rural cabin in North Carolina said to be the location of a handful of old country 78s. After being temporarily incapacitated by an electric fence, he stumbled to his feet, shook off a layer of mud and manure, and trudged on. Later that day he trotted off with a copy of ???Daniel in the Lion???s Den??? by the North Carolina Cooper Boys.???I guess you could say that was a record to die for,??? Mr. Nevins writes. ???In this case almost literally.???

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    those dudes don't mess around do they?

• covmartcovmart 6 Posts
    I love me the passion.

• TensTens 27 Posts

???There are some people who would kill their own mother for the only copy of a Son House record,??? Mr. Heneghan said. ???And they sure as hell would kill your mother, and you.???

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Where do these dudes get their $

• Where do these dudes get their $

Tefteller's a major dealer. I think the dude with the chin slinky* is subsisting on spaghetti-o's and ice water to finance his habit.

* See the NYT article for the pic...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/12/arts/music/12petr.html?_r=1&ref=arts

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    shit that rare needs to be comped or mixtaped!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Joe Bussard was a trust-funder, right? Sometimes it's as much about free time as it is about money in this collecting thing.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

In 2002 Mr. Tefteller mailed fliers to every resident within 100 miles of Paramount???s former studio site in Grafton, Wis. ???I flooded the area, and then I sat at the Best Western in Port Washington and fielded phone calls at the hotel for days,??? he said.

• chrischris 287 Posts

In 2002 Mr. Tefteller mailed fliers to every resident within 100 miles of Paramount???s former studio site in Grafton, Wis. ???I flooded the area, and then I sat at the Best Western in Port Washington and fielded phone calls at the hotel for days,??? he said.

not to be too pedantic but that would've included the entire milwaukee metro area as well as most of chicago's northern suburbs. maybe they meant "10 miles"....

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    TEFTELLER Mississippi Blues Hot Rod Johnson I Just Knifed Your Mother For This 78 Blues

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

not to be too pedantic but that would've included the entire milwaukee metro area as well as most of chicago's northern suburbs. maybe they meant "10 miles"....

You know the Crust and their exaggerations. There should be a thread about collectors' fish stories.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    TEFTELLER Mississippi Blues Hot Rod Johnson I Just Knifed Your Mother For This 78 Blues

LOL I was trying to come up with a good TEFTELLER eBay tag gag. Well played.