Europestrut - taking turntables to Europe?

indiana45sindiana45s 266 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
I am moving to Geneva, Switzerland in a few months and I am trying to figure out if my turntable will work there with only a plug adapter. Will I also need a voltage converter? If I didn't use conversion would the speeds be off?Travelling DJs must know the answer.What about an electric motor-driven clock that plugs into the wall?Someone please school me! I failed this part of physics in high school.

Comments

• You will need a transformer that converts 220v / 50hz to 120v / 60hz.

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    Switzerland is 230v (australia 240) so you will need a step down transformer to take it down to 110v.

I had a similar issue bringing gear back from japan to Australia. Be careful without a step down transformer you can fry gear. My wife when I was out once plugged my 100v mixer directly into 240v and fucked it

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Technics 1200s have a voltage switch under the platter right?

I brought mine to the UK for a while once, but definitely needed a step down transformer for mixer..

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Technics 1200s have a voltage switch under the platter right?

I brought mine to the UK for a while once, but definitely needed a step down transformer for mixer..

I don't think the U.S. models have that switch.

I'd check my turntable, but I'm not with my equipment right now.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Got mine on Canal Street in the late 90's, so who knows what I got...

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    The 1210 model has the voltage switch under the platter.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Got mine on Canal Street in the late 90's, so who knows what I got...

Canal Street = Gray Market.