I have a right to sell despicable nazi records.

1235»

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    but... you see it as a joke and an attempt at one-upmanship. well that's just hilarious, i must call the person I know that lost his right eye in an attack by some of these lovely young people a few years ago and let him in on the whole thing.
    c'mon dude, tongue firmly in cheek, one thing that we do know is not to take nazi/racist based threads on soulstrut seriously. nothing to get worked up about

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Dude, the music is freely available on the internet, for anyone to download and play for their friends. Do you really think that having the physical record is whats gonna push someone over the edge?

right on, man. carry on defending distribution of nazi material for profit, it's all a game anyway.

First off, you don't know me, and trying to say im some sort of nazi apologist is ridiculous. Take your f*cking mouth off.

Second, if the mere existence of this particular copy of the record is so dangerous and offensive to you, why don't you put you money where your mouth is and buy the record off Jonny at market value. Then you can sleep soundly tonight, safe in the knowledge that you didn't sit idly by, and instead did what it took to save an impressionable youth somewhere.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Propaganda that is used as a recruiting tool is not generally bought and sold on auction sites.

More typically it is produced by converted and given or sold cheaply to the vulnerable.

A better way to reduce the number of people who are vulnerable to being converted would be through education.

All that said, there is a real European - USA split here.
    In some (all?) European countries, nazism and nazi memorabilia and propaganda are outlawed.

In the USA they are protected by law.

That might explain why European youth are more likely to fetishize this stuff.

:canoworms

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Dude, the music is freely available on the internet, for anyone to download and play for their friends. Do you really think that having the physical record is whats gonna push someone over the edge?

right on, man. carry on defending distribution of nazi material for profit, it's all a game anyway.

First off, you don't know me, and trying to say im some sort of nazi apologist is ridiculous. Take your f*cking mouth off.

Second, if the mere existence of this particular copy of the record is so dangerous and offensive to you, why don't you put you money where your mouth is and buy the record off Jonny at market value. Then you can sleep soundly tonight, safe in the knowledge that you didn't sit idly by, and instead did what it took to save an impressionable youth somewhere.

The wallet is mightier than the keyboard.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    why hasn't anyone just suggested that this is a lesson learned. Dude tried to sell a Nazi record on ebay and got told he couldn't.

Simply take the L and chalk this up to experience.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    why hasn't anyone just suggested that this is a lesson learned. Dude tried to sell a Nazi record on ebay and got told he couldn't.

Simply take the L and chalk this up to experience.

I think this is why

You can sell Mein Kampf on ebay.

You can sell Nazi coins and bullion on ebay.

You can sell DVDs of Nazi concentration camps - including graphic footage of Jews being tortured and dying - on ebay.

You apparently CANNOT sell LPs by pieces of shit like Skrewdriver who, despite my personal disagreements with their philosophy and distaste for their garbage music, are still protected by the 1st Amendment.

As a Jew I demand the ability to make money off my oppressors!

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    How many people here are fans of Brand Nubian ? How many people here are 5 percenters ?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    What's a Nubian?

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    What's a Nubian?

Chasing Amy... wow.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    How many people here are fans of Brand Nubian ? How many people here are 5 percenters ?

Just when you thought this thread might die out at 5 pages ...

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Just when you thought this thread might die out at 5 pages ...

C'mon man, this is Soulstrut!

I'm not, and never have or will be, on the receiving end of Skrewdriver's hateful speech, so maybe this is easier for me to say, but I see these records like cultural artifacts. They represent a repugnant culture, no doubt, but as people have suggested here, the records' effectiveness as recruitment or propaganda tools has been superceded by far more effective means.

I personally find many aspects of Christianity repulsive. Many sects promote bigotry and even misogyny. However, if Jonny wants to sell some mega-raer Christian folk boners in his store, I'm not going to hold him responsible for the spreading of prejudice and bigotry, regardless of what they say on the record. Christianity spreads through far more effective means than old-ass records.

If someone is going to be converted to the respective ideologies of Skrewdriver or Christianity by listening to an old record, they probably were on the brink anyway. If it wasn't the record, it would have been something else.

If anything, and I'm playing devil's advocate here, Jonny should sell those records in his store because the chances that they will be bought by a non-racist collectro that will treat it as the cultural artifact it is is much greater than the chance they'll be bought by an impressionable youth or a neo-nazi pushing the agenda.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    but I see these records like cultural artifacts.

Hey JP,
    Maybe you should look into donating the lot (you said you had a few of them, right?) to some sort of research institution that could use these to help foster similiar types of discussions.
    Is there still that Vinyl Record Museum in NYC?
    Or maybe the SPLC?
    Donating to non-profits = tax write-off.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

How about Ice Cube for that matter...

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts

How about Ice Cube for that matter...

what a stretch.

this is like the interview where vanilla ice said, "why is there a bet, and not a wet..a white tv station".

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts

Hey JP,
    Maybe you should look into donating the lot (you said you had a few of them, right?) to some sort of research institution that could use these to help foster similiar types of discussions.
    Or maybe the SPLC?

Who ya gonna call?

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

Hey JP,
    Or maybe the SPLC?

Who ya gonna call?

Maybe some of the folks who mentioned that they had sold to researchers or that know of organizations that might find these uselful can step up and let Johnny know via PM. Although, i wouldnt think, given the existing laws in Europe, that you'd want to ship these overseas...even if they are going to a good cause. They might be verbotten to even ship and you probably want to avoid any issues like that.
    Stateside... maybe http://www.splcenter.org/intel/intpro.jsp
    might be able to point you in the right direction or give you some ideas? Couldnt hurt to check it out.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Dudes

At no point did Jonny ask what he should do or suggest that he is conflicted

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    haha

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Dudes

At no point did Jonny ask what he should do or suggest that he is conflicted

I'm guessing he is conflicted about using ebay, as am I.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    It's true - I hate giving those evil fucks my money.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    was hoping JP would get a kick out of this, it definitely gave me a laugh today:

so i had a work lunch at spotted pig today, on my walk back to the office i'm carrying this gutbomb blue cheeseburger, thinking i'm going to do a circuitous route and walk it off.

i ended up going down the stairs at bleecker something, not bleecker bob's but still terd city. flipping records, just trying to digest. 2 weird things:

1) that racist goatee ex-waximdermy cab driver guy was poking around in there.
    2) they were selling a grip of nazi records like 8 or 9. each one of them had an elaborate note attached like "Although we do not support the politics of.. we consider this an important historical document.. blah blah.".

i guess you should start writing diclaimers, lol

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    These records preach to the converted.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    melt to record bowl and make loot, everyone happy: jonny get money, neonazi get record, music doesn't get played, with bonus of potato chip have new home.