Marcelo D2. Y'all familiar? (Rap Brasileiro)

spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central

One of the best rappers in Brasil. DJ Nuts is his DJ these days. Not really on the lyrical level of American rappers but still dope. Music should be readily available to download on teh blogs (pretty much all brasilian music is).

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Also please use this post to put up any other good foreign rap, especially from South/Central America.

Curious though how much exposure Marcelo D2, or any similar artists, get outside Brasil/America Latina.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    He's playing here soon.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    he gets some press in europe since mr. bongo put out his stuff, plus he worked w/ Mario Caldato.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    About 5 years ago, my mom got me a CD of his from Brazil (she probably asked for "Brazilian rap" at the store and it's what they gave her). It had a white-ish cover with an MPC and some bongos on it, and I think I've gotten rid of it since. I'm generally not a fan of rap I can't understand, and it all sounded a bit too slick for my liking.

• minimini 879 Posts
    a bit too slick for my liking.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Desabafo is my jam... dope Claudia sample. Qual E is hot too with the AC & J sample. Who does his beats?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    well mario caldato of beastie boys fame for one...

I remember there was an os originais do samba sample in one of the tracks, I have to re-listen.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I like the fact that he uses a lot of Brazilian samples for most of his tracks. God knows there's enough Brazilian music out there to sample!

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    His music is becoming more Samba oriented these days.
    Originally, he was the vocalist of Planet Hemp, a Rap group.

• who does his beats?
    i maybe wrong, but doesn't DJ nuts do some of his beats under the name DZ cuts (along with Z?? Gon??alves), i know he did that track 1967 on eu tiro e onda. I think his beats & samples are some of the best i've heard on hip hop tracks, but i'm partial to brazilian samples obviously.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    well mario caldato of beastie boys fame for one...

I remember there was an os originais do samba sample in one of the tracks, I have to re-listen.

I'm liking this stuff. Thanks

Yeah Mario C has been living down in Brazil for years now and I knew he had been working with a grip of dudes down there.
    I've always been a fan of Mario's production. I had wished he worked with more rap artists in the 90s outside the beasties.

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    What you know bout Pavilhao 9? My brother brought me a 12" of theirs back in the early 90's(Otarios Fardados b/w Calibre/Manos Errados). I thought of was pretty dope how they creatively used samples from real common records. I would like to know more if you can get info.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    DJ Nuts is his DJ right now. I don't know who is doing production for him but imma go cop the CD next week and will report back.

barjesus - Pavilh??o 9 (name comes from a famous prison) is another S??o Paulo group...worked with Marcelo D2 during the Planet Hemp era of his career. There were a lot more groups like this in the 90s, just like there were in the states.

The actual 12s and LPs of ANY of this stuff are really really really hard to find considering how recent they are.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Pavilhao 9 had their name after the Carandiru prison's pavillion number 9 where
    111 prisoners were killed by police in 10/02/92.
    During the band's first years the members wore masks on the stage to hide their
    faces, cos' they feared being killed by the police due their radical position
    against the pigs.
    "Otarios fardados" is an hommage to the police and means uniformed suckers.
    Aside Planet Hemp and Racionais MCs, that received a lot of attention from the
    media and were played till death on the radio, all other Hip Hop / Rap bands were
    totally ignored.
    Their records were released by small or independent labels and sold only a handful
    of copies.
    A few years ago it was easy to find Pavilhao 9's first albums, but I don't see them
    anymore.
    Once I met Rhossi (their vocalist and composer) on a record store. He was looking
    for breaks and beats, and I showed him Idris Muhammad's Power Of Soul, which he didn't
    know. He got very happy to find a good break for his new production.
    It seems that their latest album was released by WEA.
    You can check their website for stuff (only in Portuguese):
    http://dezoito.com/p9/

Let me know if you want me to look for their records for you.

Peace

What you know bout Pavilhao 9? My brother brought me a 12" of theirs back in the early 90's(Otarios Fardados b/w Calibre/Manos Errados). I thought of was pretty dope how they creatively used samples from real common records. I would like to know more if you can get info.