Record Regrets.

magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Stuff i passed on buying in the pastThe Meters - Look-Ka Py Py not sure which pressing but i thought the price was steep$1200 JA which at the time was the equivalent of $20 US.David Axelrod's Songs of Innocence(reissue) and Marchin'Saw these at a thrift store that i used get records at in 94 but i was still inmy get the records with the big afros on them phase.It wasn't until 95 when i gotKool G Rap's - 4,5,6 and read the liner notes and saw the name again that i decided i should cop them.When i went back to the spot they had cleared out the records to make space.I asked what they did with them they said they threw them out.Cedric Im Brooks & The Light Of Saba.I wasn't up on reggae at the time but the cover was striking.I was more concerned that in the same box of records there was alsoLightnin' Rod's - Hustler's Convention record jacket minus the record.Maceo - US.I didn't buy because the edge of the jacket had termite damage.And my biggest regret of all was not clearing out a 8 x 10 room stacked with records2 feet high.Me and my "big fren" got a link to this spot and we were told take everythingthat was there,they just wanted all the "trash" out of there(they burnt the lot left behind).Both of us started picking out stuff and making seperate piles with stuff we wanted but in packing process one of the piles i made for myself was left behind.I wasn't too perturbed at the time because we had still had a lot between us.The one title that did not make it was Cerrone - IV i'm glad my mind wont make me remember anything else.add on ppl

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    No regrets about leaving stuff behind.
    If I really wanted something expensive, I'd buy on credit and sit out some luxuries for the next month - coffees, beer, restaurants whatever.
    Anything for cheap I would buy and to hell with the consequences.

My regrets stem from selling half my collection in the mid 90s. Thought I was being smart, investing the cash in stocks, paying some of the mortgage off.
    I've spent the last 5 years buying them back, usually for higher.

That's why it saddens me a bit to hear these guys talmbout getting shot of their collections. I salute them if they can divest themselves of the collectro desire, but experience has taught me to doubt that they can see it through.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Building off that, my regret would probably be not selling off a bunch of mine over the past 5 years when they probably "peaked"!! I used to think that I could keep everything that I liked and that I'd one day have the ULTIMATE COLLECTION, but instead I've ended up with the ultimate mess...

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Saw Animated Egg in Berlin last week for 20 euro, but didn't have the cash on me. Slightly regret not running to a bank to get the money, but focused instead on eating ice-cream with my girlfriend.

• not hitting spots early enough is my only regret.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    So everyone on here is infallible at this record shit?
    I realize this must have been discussed here innumerous times
    but lets do it again.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    but lets do it again.

Not at all. I just don't believe that having regrets is any way to live life, let alone having them about something as trivial as not buying possessions when you had the chance.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i only regret selling some of my prized records over the years. definitely some joints i wish i had back

but lets do it again.

Not at all. I just don't believe that having regrets is any way to live life, let alone having them about something as trivial as not buying possessions when you had the chance.

since regret is too strong a word for you
    what about just simply passed on for a lack of knowledge on or any other minor reason.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Regret is soft.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    i wish i would've known someone would pay 50 bucks for mf doom records

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Saw Animated Egg in Berlin last week for 20 euro, but didn't have the cash on me. Slightly regret not running to a bank to get the money, but focused instead on eating ice-cream with my girlfriend.

what flavor?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Building off that, my regret would probably be not selling off a bunch of mine over the past 5 years when they probably "peaked"!! I used to think that I could keep everything that I liked and that I'd one day have the ULTIMATE COLLECTION, but instead I've ended up with the ultimate mess...

This is what I need (want) to hear!!

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1301312&page=0&fpart=all&vc=1

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Stopped by a spot in a hurry and found some Hawaiian records...that i didnt buy, cuz i didnt know anything about them. They were $1 each and i wasn't about to drop $12 for the lot of them without knowing what they were.
    Kept thinking about them all night and then finally looked them up and raced back to see if they were still there the next morning.

This was still there:

But THIS was gone:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BABADU-babadu-HAWAII...%3A1%7C294%3A50

Regret is soft.

I know Faux Rillz regrets telling you about the latin record you outbid him on

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    In '92 my buddy had 10 sealed copies of Billy Brooks, one of which he offered me for $20. I was broke at the time and $20 was a lot for vinyl for me so I passed...

d'oh

• missing out on an arthur verocai OG for $400 around the time ferrari got his.

• i regret selling my copy of the highlighters funky 16 corners to a friend a few years back for $400, wouldn't be so bad if i wasn't reminded about it everytime we dj.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Regret leaving a whole crate of telemusic libraries in a spot back in around 1999 before I knew what Library records were.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    They were $1 each and i wasn't about to drop $12

Radical.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    They were $1 each and i wasn't about to drop $12

Radical.

Sayin'.

Pay twelve bucks and go without eating for a day.
    Come on people, this stuff is not difficult.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Pay twelve bucks and go without eating for a day.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts

what flavor?

Peach.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I did leave behind the Lovelites LP for 8 euro in near mint because I jedimindtricked myself in believing that a store in my town will never have that kind of lp ("no, no records in..."). Had nightmares for about half a year. Glad I can say I am over it.