This Crips and Bloods fim looks amazing.

phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Directed by Stacey Peralta, co-financed by Baron Davis, and narrated by Forrest Whittaker. Probably doesn't cover any new ground, but looks very compelling.

The Movie They Didn't Want You to SeeBy Stacy PeraltaIt seemed so obvious to me, a slam-dunk, a downright compelling true life American story. The story of how the Crips and Bloods -- two of the world's most 'iconic' gangs -- have been allowed to wage a virtual war within one of the richest cities in the world for 4 decades, a war that has taken over 15,000 lives in that time. Yet I couldn't find any studio or production company interested in financing my documentary. I went door to door, pitching my project to all of the 'right' people in Hollywood. All of them said it was a great idea and needed to be done -- but no one would write a check. This went on for close to a year until I finally met a man who showed a glimmer of interest. His name was Baron Davis and he's an NBA All Star point guard currently playing for the Los Angeles Clippers. His initial interest seemed obvious, he had grown up in South Los Angeles and had first hand experience of the everyday violence that accompanies life there and he wanted to do something to help heal his community. He said he was primarily interested in financing a documentary that would help draw compassionate attention to the gang wars that have consumed his community for over four decades. After weeks of talking back and forth he agreed to put up 50% of the budget. So now all I needed to do was find the other half. I thought that would be a piece of cake. It wasn't. Another eight months went by and nothing. No one was interested even though I've got 50% of the budget covered. So I began wondering what I could say in my pitch that I wasn't saying to get people interested. I needed to say something about this subject that was more complete than what they've learned from the evening news, the local newspapers and gangsta rap. So I came up with a question to pose to potential funders: "If affluent white teenagers in Beverly Hills were forming neighborhood gangs, arming themselves with automatic assault rifles and killing other affluent white teenagers who were also living in upscale neighborhoods and were also arming themselves with AK 47s and shooting to kill, what would the response of our society be? Would society respond or would society ignore it? Would our government respond, if so, how would our government respond?" Well I finally hit on something because it was this question that I asked a Silicon Valley businessman named Steve Luczo. He thought for a moment and then answered: "Affluent white kids would never be allowed to gang-bang as our society would do whatever means was necessary to make sure a problem of this magnitude was stopped immediately." Everyone else I asked this question to said something very similar: "Our society and our government would never allow white kids to do this. Everything would be put into place to prevent it, all the necessary programs and resources would be funded to make sure something as tragic as gang-banging would never take hold in the white community." So with Baron Davis and Steve Luczo in place as co-financiers I got to make my documentary film; Crips and Bloods, Made in America and I made this film because as a citizen of the United States and a native of Los Angeles, I could not understand how this problem of gang violence, now entering its fifth decade with more than 15,000 dead, has gone on for so long in the African American community of South Los Angeles without any effective solution. It didn't make sense to me how this could happen year in and year out, decade by decade without our government finding an effective remedy. We Americans defeated Nazi Germany and Japan in a single war and in far less than a decade yet we can't defeat gang violence. I made the film in over a year and a half period and I was able to meet with gang members of all ages, 12 to 65, current and former, Bloods and Crips, and sets from many different neighborhoods spread throughout the affected region. It was so troubling to me to see how confused these young men are and how hurt so many of them seem to be without any idea of why. They know that life is different 15 to 20 minutes in either direction from where they live but they don't know why it's different. They don't understand why things are so bad where they live and they don't understand why no one from the outside seems to care. They don't understand why there so few job opportunities in their community and why are so many of their fathers, uncles and friends are serving time in the penitentiary? The more time I spent with them in their community the more I began to see a far different America than the America I was raised in. In fact the America I was raised in, average middle class America, has very little resemblance to the America these young men grow up in. It's not just that most of these young men come from broken homes, it's that most are born into non-homes of unwed teenage girls who were also born to unwed teenage girls, on and on. Ask them and they will tell you they have never sat down at a dinner table with a mother and father present. These young men attend public schools that are at the very bottom end of the American educational food chain, less learning centers than just straight out day care centers. From a tender young age they see dead bodies in their neighborhood streets, they hear helicopters flying over day and night, and the sound of gunfire is as common as birds chirping. Most cannot venture out of their own neighborhoods as doing so can lead to being gunned down. These young men live in conditions that most of us would consider un-American with no traces of the American dream. And through the entire process of making this film, I realized that if we are ever going to break this cycle of violence, we need to find a way to look at these young men with a compassionate frame of mind. Stopping gang violence is going to require that we understand that conditions in these communities are only perpetuating the problem and if those same conditions were suddenly found in affluent white communities perhaps we would look at this problem differently. My film premiered to standing ovations at the Sundance Film Festival and is now playing in selected theaters across the country. It is my very deep hope that the film will help motivate a much-needed dialogue on this subject, a subject that affects not just the African American community of South LA, but ethnic minorities in cities across this nation and indeed across the world.

Comments

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I'll netflix.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    This same shit happens all over the country in cities of all sizes. It seems like as long as the victims are black and poor no one cares. Black on black crime hardly warrants a mention on the local news here in Richmond, I usually find out about it because my wife works in the city's last major housing project and they end up on lock down every few months when the killing peaks.

This looks like it will be a good documentary, thanks for the heads up.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    This same shit happens all over the country in cities of all sizes. It seems like as long as the victims are black and poor no one cares. Black on black crime hardly warrants a mention on the local news here in Richmond, I usually find out about it because my wife works in the city's last major housing project and they end up on lock down every few months when the killing peaks.

Yes, I agree. A couple days ago I was pretty shook up about all the recent shootings being reported the news (such as Binghamton and the Alabama ones) and then I thought, this schitt happens in the hood on the regular and no one cares.

Yes, I agree. A couple days ago I was pretty shook up about all the recent shootings being reported the news (such as Binghamton and the Alabama ones) and then I thought, this schitt happens in the hood on the regular and no one cares.

I should add the Richmond police have brought down the total number of murders a great deal, but the ones that do happen are barely a blip on the radar of the rich folks and yuppies that live only a few miles away. I do fear this summer will be a bad one though.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I'll have to wait for dvd, it has already come and gone here.

Yes war in LA, war across America.

It amazes me the inability of so many people to leave.
    The story talks about how people know it is different across town, but they don't move.
    But that is only half true I guess, because I know a number of Portland people who moved here from CA to get away from gangs.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Sincerely, The First 48.
    I used to like the First 48, but now I can't watch it. It's incredibly sad, people of color on both ends of the equation (victim and murderer) used exploitatively for crime drama and csi voyeuristic entertainment.

The story talks about how people know it is different across town, but they don't move.

It is a cycle, especially for those in public housing. Where else would they go? Their schools are shit, the parents keep getting younger. They make minimum wage if they work and a little over $3,000 a year if they are on public assistance. How can people live on that, raise kids and move.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Exactly. We need to fix the problem, anyway, not just move people from it.

It's disgusting that our residents of this fine city ignore the fact that there are child soldiers, killing each other.

F*ck that.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    What kind of solution do any of you feel can work?

The film maker speaks about how we defeated Nazi Germany & Japan but can't defeat these wars within our own borders.

We defeated the Nazi's by killing them on sight and dropping bombs.....is someone really suggesting this as a viable solution??

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

It is a cycle, especially for those in public housing. Where else would they go? Their schools are shit, the parents keep getting younger. They make minimum wage if they work and a little over $3,000 a year if they are on public assistance. How can people live on that, raise kids and move.

Not just the projects poor.
    When I was in Syracuse I couldn't believe the number of people with the means to move any where who chose to stay.
    Many of those people knew they were living in a dying, polluted, hellhole, they hated it, yet they never thought of leaving.

I understand better now, how family, home, the familiar, keep people rooted.
    In fact, I respect it.

What kind of solution do any of you feel can work?

I don't know but I think that fixing the schools and building trust with police couldn't hurt. As it is now, the cops criminalize everyone so nobody trusts them. Couple that with the fact that they are incredibly worn thin and you have the wild wild west.

I live in Hollywood and I know I can get away with anything because the cops either aren't there or don't care.

We need to address the issue of drugs as a medical problem and give people help as well. Unemployment, it's all connected.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Man, i missed this. It looks really good. f*ckin Props to Baron Davis, putting money down to get this shit made.

Its been going on for so long in Los Angeles that it pretty much just feels normal. 4 decades is right, whats really crazy to understand is that you have multiple generations stepped in this shit. Its gonna be pretty hard to weed it out without some MAJOR socio economic improvements and changes that I really don't have the answers for.

Build more skateparks in the hood.

Anybody skate Compton yet? I hear it's amazing. Going next week I think.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    the kids i work with in a MONTREAL center are stuck in this as well

a kid got stabbed in the neck with scissors over some red vs blue shit just last week

and the older teenager supposed to be role models drive around in pimped out red flueorescent glaring PT Cruisers for chrissakes
    thanks for the heads up on the movie

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    That dude Young Dre in the trailer is noooooo joke. He's from East Side Kitchen Crips, which is I think the oldest Crip set in LA. Those dudes are NUTS. My homie Maylay did a track with him and this other dude Killer Polk. The day they shot the video Maylay was just getting back from NY recording voice stuff for San Andreas and he had the limo driver take him to the video shoot which was right in the middle of Kitchen hood and he said that dude was shook as F*ck, haha. He's the one coming out of the limo in this video, and all these dudes in this are Kitchen Crips.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    haha I remember that schitt

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    There's some bullshit going on in BK where cops can arrest people for "trespassing" - basically if you live in a housing complex if you take a shortcut between buildings and shit the cops can swoop and knock you.

Anyway not too long ago some young 16 year old kid - non gang affiliated - got put into central booking on a bullshit trespass charge and they fucked up and housed him with two bloods. They piledrived his head into the wall, killing him. You won't see it in the paper but heavy shit is going down. Crips and Bloods all over New York. And whether they're legit or some faking ass youngboys just trying to be down, I am staying far the F*ck away from them dudes.

Jesus.

Yeah I was passing through Brownsville the other day and dudes are still ragged up. I was kind of hoping it had died down.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah Brooklyn is thick as shit with this shit, G.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    That dude Young Dre is a pretty good rapper.

Yeah I liked that video back when DJ Daze first (name) dropped it on me!

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    When I was in high school my neighborhood was blue up from the shoe up. Now it's red down from the head down. Confused ass fools.

I remember seeing some blood graffiti on another side of town. B-Dawg hit his name up on a cemetary plot. Not one "in use," but one that was on display outside of a cemetary plot making company. I thought that was pretty cryptic and depressing.

Most creative graffiti I've seen recently:

A temporary city warning sign that reads FLOOD WARNING was changed to BLOOD WARNING.

My little brother's friend still bangs that blue pretty hard. He's rappin' now too. Gave me his cd a while back. When he was about 15, he smoked a sherm stick. That embalming fluid is no joke. He spent a year or so in a crazy house and has never been the same since. (I think I've posted this before.)

Bust a crip in the lip what'll drip?

• whats the line from ice cube's summer vacation ? bangin for a hood/st they never even been to...some shit like that.

amped, as the boston showing is april 24.

There's some bullshit going on in BK where cops can arrest people for "trespassing" - basically if you live in a housing complex if you take a shortcut between buildings and shit the cops can swoop and knock you.

Same thing in Richmond, if you don't live in the project the cops can lock you up for trespassing. They can stop anyone to check out why they are there. Can say I blame them for checking folks who enter since many of them are up to no good, but there have been folks arrested who were just trying to visit their kids too.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

Bust a crip in the lip what'll drip?

Blue

btw I'mma tell Anacron you said that.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

Ordered this up on netflix and watched last night. Shit is really deep and really well made. From the editing, archive footage and photos, to the interviews, extras. Could have lived without the Snoop and Lil Wayne extras. Overall, add this to your watch pile! I can't endorse this enough.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Hmmm...I watched it the other night and was pretty disappointed by it. There was no Snoop nor Lil Wayne though. I dont remember seeing a limo either. But I DO remember seeing Peralta's name. And Forrest narrated it. Strange. Maybe I saw a different version? Strange.

Anyway, whatever it was that I saw was decent, but seemed directed for people who know almost nothing about LA gang life. Not that I'm an expert, but it really didn't teach me anything I didn't already know. I admire the effort though.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

Watch on youtube now, parts 1 through 9 starting here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEtNNGW2hiA

ps. the lil wayne and snoop interviews were on the extras of the dvd, and can also be seen on youtube