I need info on cleaning records...

estereoestereo 4 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
I need to know the right way to clean my vinyl. I know close to nothing about it. I had an inexpensive cleaning kit with a brush and some solution, but I'm not sure if that really works. Do I have to resort to buying one of those fancy, expensive record cleaners like the VPI ones? Is there a way to clean them efficiently with products I already have at home? I found this online: http://www.instructables.com/id/Cleaning-Vinyl-Records/ Would this work?

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Isopropyl alcohol.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

• groove glide is the only thing that works.

i tried a can of this stuff once and it does NOT CLEAN RECORDS. Its just greasy silicon-like-shit that makes the record shiny.

IMO

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    dishwashing liquid ijn warm soapy water, witha soft toothbrush and a soft rag. I have been cleaning records using this set-up for YEARS!

• dishwashing liquid ijn warm soapy water, witha soft toothbrush and a soft rag. I have been cleaning records using this set-up for YEARS!

i think soap, because most dishwashing soaps have some kind of grease-cutting agent in them, is okay. it leaves behind a soap film. you may be better off using something like a little Formula 409 in some warm water.

I do actually use normal soap sometimes... but i rinse pretty thorouhgly after i clean them.

i tried a can of this stuff once and it does NOT CLEAN RECORDS. Its just greasy silicon-like-shit that makes the record shiny.

IMO

yeah its not for cleaning, but it does seem to improve fidelity and stops static...

• I found this puppy still sealed at an antique shop recently. Though I put some batteries in and hit go and nuthin'. I'm sure it would've done more harm than good anyway.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    After cleaning up thousands of dirtcaked African records and experimenting with everything from VPIs and Loricraft to Ultrasonic Baths, I've found this treatment to be most effective:

First step:

I wash them in the kitchen sink, using warm but not too hot water and soap from one of those foam dispensers, the foam is easier to spread than regular liquid soap, rinse thoroughly and dry with a soft cotton cloth before leftover water can dry and leave a residue from the calcium in your tap water.

Second step:

I use this fine product which I apply with a paper towel:

best paper towels for record cleaning are these here, trust me, it makes a difference, these are like a micro fiber cloth:

Third step:

I remove Tuff-Stuff residue with lighter fluid:

Don't worry, lighter fluid evaporates without a trace and is nonagressive towards vinyl. Vinyl is nothing else but PVC (Poly Vinyl Chloride, the same material that the lighter fluid bottle is manufactured of)

Forth step:

I know, this sounds even crazier but just try it... I apply a very small amount of this "wet tire look" stuff using a soft micro fiber cloth and another cloth of the same make to remove everything but the thinnest layer. This stuff is nothing else but a silicone based liquid polymer blend. Pretty much the same stuff that's in the "Groove Glide" bottle but for a fraction of the cost.

• Isopropyl alcohol.

make sure it is 90%, the 70% leaves some shit behind...

for really dirty records ive been using goo gone and a soft cloth...it is pretty amazing...spray a small amount on the cloth, a couple wipes and the cloth is brown, pulls out all kindsa stuff...just make sure it is completely dry before you play it, or you can play it wet with a needle you dont care about gunkin up, the needle will pull even more dirt out.

...and after 5 hours, you have 1 clean record

• Vinyl is nothing else but PVC (Poly Vinyl Chloride, the same material that the lighter fluid bottle is manufactured of)

I've been saying this shit for years now and everyone here treats it like I'm crazy in the head whenever I say it.

• I thought I remembered someone saying the citric acid in goo gone would adversely affect vinyl.

• i dont see how spraying with silicon "cleans" a record. it may make it look glossy, but at what price....AT WHAT PRICE?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    i dont see how spraying with silicon "cleans" a record. it may make it look glossy, but at what price....AT WHAT PRICE?

It makes me cringe a bit saying this to you but "you're right", the silicone doesn't clean anything. But it results in a microscopicly thin polymer coat on top of the vinyl that reduces wear, acts as a strong anti-static and just seales the vinyl so the surface won't get brittle. Remember those vinyl roofs on 70s muscle cars? the'd get all foggy with age and brittle if not taken care of? Again they were made of the same material as records: PVC.

• I thought I remembered someone saying the citric acid in goo gone would adversely affect vinyl.

then lemon juice would eat through the plastic bottles it comes in...it is only on there for a few seconds...if it doesnt destroy the bottle it is in, then how can it hurt the record being on there for a few seconds?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    ...and after 5 hours, you have 1 clean record

Yeah, you're right, it's time consuming but usually it doesn't take nearly as much time as finding good records...

• chrischris 287 Posts
    I found this puppy still sealed at an antique shop recently. Though I put some batteries in and hit go and nuthin'. I'm sure it would've done more harm than good anyway.

funny, i also found one of those still-sealed at a junk shop recently.
    haven't given it a spin yet, however.

• I think alcohol removes some of the polymers, so use sparingly. Lighter fluid is good for fingerprints and adhesive residue, and dries with less residue than Goo
    Gone or other citrus based products.

They're expensive, but the advantage of VPI machines is that the vacuum sucks all the cleaning fluid off, plus the spindle clamp makes scrubbing stubborn guck a lot easier.

I used to be against Armor All type products, but lately I've changed my mind. Gruve Glide is way over-priced, though.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

They're expensive, but the advantage of VPI machines is that the vacuum sucks all the cleaning fluid off, plus the spindle clamp makes scrubbing stubborn guck a lot easier.

I used to think so too, but in some cases I noticed that after the first treatment on a VPI, the Tuff-Stuff foam cleaner would still remove some dirt as the paper towel would show brown spots... still, for cleaning records that are just dusty, I think the VPI is the way to go. For really filthy pieces, I swear by my method as described above.

I agreee on the spindle clamp being good for scrubbing but the speed of the VPI is a bit slow. I use a wrecked 1200 and support it's rotations with my right index finger that always has a thickly callused tip.

Lighter Fluid is also the only cleanser that's non-agressive towards vinyl and removes candle wax... probably rather uncommon here but in Africa where electricity is sparse, people would party with battery powered turntables and use candles for light.