Music blogs on Blogger...

waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
Has anyone here experienced this first-hand?Ryan Spaulding, the proprietor of Boston-based music blog Ryan???s Smashing Life, noticed something odd happening to his archived posts a few months ago. His blog, founded in 2006, has expanded to include four contributors and now rakes in about 25,000 hits a month. Chump change compared to megablogs like Nah Right or Stereogum, which average at least twice that daily, but enough to attract a modicum of ads and a devoted community of readers.But in November, some of Spaulding???s posts, both recent and older, long-forgotten ones, started disappearing from his site. There didn???t seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. One moment they were there, the next they were gone. Confused, he started comparing notes with other music bloggers, and they noticed a trend. A lot of posts across the Web, on everything from Abba to Zappa, had vanished. http://www.laweekly.com/2009-02-05/music...deleting-them/1

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I had this happen to me - actually, over a post that Strut's own James had written for my site. I did receive a letter from google but only AFTER they deleted the post.

The thing is though: I'm pretty good at deleting song links within a month of posting so the odds that I'd have something taken down is fairly narrow. That said, the "no notice" policy is a bad look for google; I'd certainly consider switching over to Wordpress too.

• Similar stuff has happened at Wordpress as well (not to me, yet...). I suspect that some $10 an hour intern is holed up somewhere trolling blogs and then sending cease and desist notices to Blogger and Wordpress, who in turn knee-jerk the posts out of existence.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I had this happen to me - actually, over a post that Strut's own James had written for my site. I did receive a letter from google but only AFTER they deleted the post.

Oof. Sorry about that--I had no idea.

It was the Rafferty people, wasn't it?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Hey James,

I have no idea what the offending song was. That's part of what was super annoying - they deaded the post, sent me an email AFTER the fact and yet I>never said what the problem actually was[/i].

In any case, I still had a copy of the post archived on my computer so I just reposted it, stripped off the direct song links and then connected songs to youtube clips of the same songs (when available).

This is only the second time in five years I've had something like this happen so it's a rare situation at best.

• It happened last December over a remix I posted but since then no problems. Had me a lil' shook as it was one of the first tracks I put up, and tons of content by the artist in question remains up on other blogs.

I'm guessing a disclaimer, etc has no effect on this...