your favorite dj tools/crate staples

awallawall 673 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
what useful records do you always have when djing? i always stock this, mostly for blend purposes, always seems to mesh well with some tough vocals. not only are all of the cuts more of less classic, but they vary in BPMs, don't sound weird when you pitch them up and sound amazing on a good system (those kicks and snares...damn). "down by law" is a pretty sure fire party starter just on it's own. dude from blondie should have made more beats. A little irregular for a crate staple, but quite useful. this proto-new age is crammed full of beautiful, abstract open rhodes, but what really makes it useful is this: side a has 12 tracks, one for each astrological sign. each one these tracks corresponds to a different key: aries is C, Taurus is C#, Gemini is D, etc., so you have some open rhodes that you can layer on top of pretty much ANY song. the results are generally pretty cool. when I was a senior in high school I loaned all of my "battle" records to some freshman that was just learning to DJ. I was in some sort of transitional period (i think one of my tables broke so I only had one) and didn't really care and didn't mind helping the kid out. I tried to track him down before I left for college but he moved or something, and i didn't really care because unless you're just learning to scratch, or you're actually a battle DJ, battle records are pretty stupid (do battle DJs still exist anymore? kind of a masturbatory trend that seems to have died out years ago). anyway, a few years later I found a used copy of supa dupa duck breaks (which was my favorite back then) and it's become a party staple ever since. those on tempo scratch sentences can make nice little additions to a set.

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    For me, I can't leave home without my Stark Reality (only the first LP, though!), some of the really funk Egberto Gismonti, a couple super rare modern soul 45s (for the trainspoters!), and an insanely rare but not very good Bollywood version of Madonna's 'Material Girl' because the crowed goes wild when they hear anything super rare. I rock.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    Bollywood version of Madonna's 'Material Girl'

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    although I recently upgraded to the heavy ones.

But if I had to carry DJ tools around it'd be:

But I don't so it's probably Mighty Maestro's Nickel Bag of Breaks or Super Disco Brakes Vol. 2. One of them is usually in the crate.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    FATMAN SCOOP!

CROOKLYN CLAN!

FATMAN SCOOP!

CROOKLYN CLAN!

FATMAN SCOOP!

CROOKLYN CLAN!

FATMAN SCOOP!

CROOKLYN CLAN!

FATMAN SCOOP!

CROOKLYN CLAN!

FATMAN SCOOP!

CROOKLYN CLAN!

FATMAN SCOOP!

CROOKLYN CLAN!

FATMAN SCOOP!

CROOKLYN CLAN!

FATMAN SCOOP!

CROOKLYN CLAN!

FATMAN SCOOP!

CROOKLYN CLAN!

FATMAN SCOOP!

CROOKLYN CLAN!

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

Mine's the vinyl graymarket reissue from about 2001, but so what. It's funky, raer, and latin - a veritable hat trick of DJ tool usefulness when playing for a mixed crowd of b-boys, trainspotters and mambo dance lesson devotees.

• is that iriscience from dilated peoples in that first pic?

dead ringer...

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    FATMAN SCOOP!

is that iriscience from dilated peoples in that first pic?

dead ringer...

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts

some kid asked my boy if he could play records at an art gallery opening we were doing and showed up with this record. only this record.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts

Exactly.

Prince - Kiss (works for almost all club crowds)

Soho - Hot Music (B Boy Events)

Jimmy Castor - (B Boy Events)

I dropped Todd Rundgren at a fashion show last night and they absolutely loved it! Not a crate staple though.

Nirvana - Smells like Teen Spirit is a good one too.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    But if I had to carry DJ tools around it'd be:

Cosign.

although I recently upgraded to the heavy ones.

Stop bitin my avatar dude.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    always in my bag:

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I dropped Todd Rundgren at a fashion show last night and they absolutely loved it! Not a crate staple though.

what song? i play out nazz a lot, but never had luck with TR--although i love his records.

I closed a set with Hello Its Me once.

"Everybody standing and lighters in the air please."

• gibla74gibla74 182 Posts

Mine's the vinyl graymarket reissue from about 2001, but so what. It's funky, raer, and latin - a veritable hat trick of DJ tool usefulness when playing for a mixed crowd of b-boys, trainspotters and mambo dance lesson devotees.

I have the same. Thing is I've taken to leaving it out the bag as it seems to scare the dancefloor round these parts.. which track you playin?

I don't leave home without hey joyce, amen bro & hard headed woman. Anything on the sleng teng riddim goes down well. Some format stuff comes in handy. I always have a selection of the obvious guaranteed movers just in case.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Always got a bunch of Gamm 12"s. Favorites are "Follow Me" and the "Can't Help It" and "Golden" remixes. Everybody just seems to like 'em. And that Red Astaire on another label, the "Do the right thing" remix. Plus they let me rep for Sweden.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    lately...

Giving Up - Gladys Knight and The Pips
    Take Me - Fabulous Souls
    Heard it Through the Grapevine - Slits
    Stone Thing - Alvin Cash
    Who Don It - Lloyd Charmers

always...

good mood
    a bit of hash
    no expectations

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts

Soho "Hot Music" will demolish any room, on any day, in any city in the world. That record is the definition of UN-FUCK-WITABLE.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    every battle i dj, this comes out...

so gully.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Soho "Hot Music" will demolish any room, on any day, in any city in the world. That record is the definition of UN-FUCK-WITABLE.

I've heard that a lot...

but only from people that live in NY.

• pasepase 89 Posts

not true.

I've seen places suddenly errupt a few times for Halftime by Nas.

That bassline is more serious than David Lynch after 4 bad acid trips.

• awallawall 673 Posts

what song? i play out nazz a lot, but never had luck with TR--although i love his records.

I dropped "it takes two to tango" last weekend with positive results. that song is fucking amazing.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    initially this post wasn't supposed to mean "what are your top floor fillers" but that's a more interesting topic anyway. so for me it's:

doubles of chic "good times" --> "rappers delight" (duh)
    "mr. big stuff"
    jackson 5 greatest hits
    "build me up buttercup"
    and, depending on the crowd, "you can call me al" --> van halen "jump" (same tempo and key, when the synth chords from "jump" drop motherfuckers at house party go nuts and something usually breaks)

for a while my secret floor filler for indie rocker types was the proclaimers "if i could walk 500 miles" on some "oh my god i totally forgot this song ruled" type shit.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    initially this post wasn't supposed to mean "what are your top floor fillers" but that's a more interesting topic anyway. so for me it's:

what did you mean?

not true.

How so? Did you clear the floor with it or something? Probably not a room I want to be in...

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

not true.

How so? Did you clear the floor with it or something? Probably not a room I want to be in...

I don't think that song is as well known outside of NYC. I've played it many a time down here in Tejas and never once got an exciting reaction from it. That ish just wasn't popular down here, so it isn't classic or memorable to my crowds. Maybe if I played to a house crowd, but it was not a hip hop crossover track 'round here.

And I have never heard any non-NYC DJ talk about it like is was untouchable...

The whole world is NOT NYC-centric!

The record was a house classic, it's not really a "hip-hop crossover" record at all.... what kind of parties are you playing it at? I have certainly heard it in the Bay Area to good effect. I'm sure it does well in Chicago and other big house markets too. I wouldn't say it's an ny-centric thing, I'd say it's a "crowd knowing good music" thing. The average NY club head has heard a lot more and various music than those elsewhere, the loft/garage scene was that heavy and had so many different types of music going on with it. NYCers do not segment along house vs. hip-hop lines as much, so that's probably why it's felt more here.

As for being NYC-centric myself, all I can say is that if your crowd ain't feeling that record I feel sorry for them (and you), it's just THAT good. Love spinning it, love hearing it.