Albert Mangelsdorff R.I.P.

GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Albert Magelsdorff died at the age of 76! He was condidered one of the best trombonists worldwide and had won several awards in the 60s and 70s (Downbeat). He created an own multiphonics style on the trombone and was one of the few European Jazz musicians who was able to tour the United States as solo artist.R.I.P.Volker Kriegel died in 2003! He played sitar and guitar in the Dave Pike Set and recorded several good solo albums. Strangely enough, I saw two fantastic TV documnetaries about both, just before they died. They were fantastic musicians and had a very very deep impact on the German Jazz scene.

Comments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    1965 The Mangelsdorff Quintett plays in Newport after winning the first place in the Downbeat Poll for "Talent Deserving Wider Recognition". He returns to Newport in 1967 and 1969.

Thus since the beginning of the 60??s Mangelsdorff is also an international recogniced musician. Joe Henderson said: "He plays besides J.J. Johnson the most exciting trombone", John Lewis remarked he is the"most important innovator" for his instrument.

There is a long list of colleagues at this time he is playing and recording with. To name only a few: Lee Konitz, Elvin Jones, Dizzy Gillespie, Don Cherry, Jimmy Smith, Jaco Pastorius, Alphonse Mouzon, Gunter Hampel, John Tchicai, Peter Br??tzmann, Eddie Gomez, Wolfgang Dauner....

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Was one of the best on the trombone.

RIP