Sir Wales (Wallace) pressing question

skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
[/img] [/img]Top one from 74, bottom from 75.Why the re-press? To meet demand, or re-launch?

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Well, the catalogue number has changed. Did Warner distribute the latter version?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    It doesn't say so on the label.

Possibly they distributed the 74 issue and decided it wasn't successful enough for them to get involved again.
    Maybe the guy behind the label geared up enough to distribute the 75 issue himself.
    But that hints at the 74 issue being sucessful.

I'm confused by it.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    It doesn't say so on the label.

Possibly they distributed the 74 issue and decided it wasn't successful enough for them to get involved again.
    Maybe the guy behind the label geared up enough to distribute the 75 issue himself.
    But that hints at the 74 issue being sucessful.

I'm confused by it.

I just figured they re-pressed the 45 because they still believed it could be a hit. Obviously Warners and the public didn't agree, but it's been known to happen. It's a weird example, I know, but "Signs" by the Five Man Electrical Band took off in this same way. MGM, a huge conglomerate, released it, and it flopped. And then a year later the smaller Lionel label pressed it up again. And that's the label it was on when it was a hit.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Yeah I guess it must be put down to a guy chancing his arm and failing this time.

Great record though. Always used to warm up a Modern Soul room before the big dancers were aired.

And an earlyish example of Ghetto EconomicsTM lyrics.