Saw the Funk Brothers today at Stern Grove

peacefulrotationpeacefulrotation 3,481 Posts
edited July 2005 in Announcements
Had a great day.

Went with the wife and children down to see the Motown band at the recently flossed out Stern Grove:

Jack Ashford was in the house along with the band, they sounded awesome.
He made jokes about how Berry G used to get all the chicks and money, and likened the band being able to play and create all those songs to having a wish answered by god.

I'm pretty sure it was Sam Moore (Sam & Dave) who did all the Temps and Stevie joints, he was KILLING it! I saw Chuck Huss there, he had mid center seats so he could probably tell you more, we had to hike out to the adjacent meadow to get somewhere to sit. (next year: reservations)

Broun Fellinis opened, they sounded good as usual.

It was really nice seeing so many differnet folks, all ages and backgrounds just having a great time, dancing, singing the words, giving their loved one a good hug, having food and wine, etc. I guess I was moved by the music and people, and being out with my most special little ones. Was one of those days when I come home and all these records seem insignificant in comparison with the real deal mcneal. Live music, is the thing.

Comments

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    and being out with my most special little ones[/b]. Was one of those days when I come home and all these records seem insignificant in comparison with the real deal mcneal.

amen, refreshing to see some level headed folks w/ perspective........something sorely lacking as of late.

glad you enjoyed your day.

• Thanks Aser, glad somebody took time to open this thread with all this "exciting soulstrut talk" going on "over there"

off to work

PS Aser, PM your addy...will have a new mix I want you to hear finished soon.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    YAY!!! was it warm? i think i saw some opera over there once and i dont like opera but hearing it in the woods like that was something else entirely. looks like they put stone seats in there?

thee midniters concert down here next weekend! and its free!!!

• Chuck_HussChuck_Huss 145 Posts
    thee midniters concert down here next weekend! and its free!!!

Wow, I wish I could make it down to check that out.

Shig, the weather was patchy fog, but just warm enough, perfect for us San Franciscans. They renovated the seating in there this past year, lots of interesting terraces and places to sit, provided you get there early.

I actually couldn't see much where I was sitting; my girl and I got there at 10:30 and had to sit in front of one of the traffic-heavy aisles where people kept trying to stand. I probably would've had a better time in the west meadow where I could've relaxed because there's no view to worry about.

The music was fucking great otherwise, I had half a mind to run back home and get my copy of Hotel Sheet for Jack Ashford to sign. Ashford was actually the only Funk Brother in attendence, the band was mostly musicians from LA. Their lead vocalist was killin' it, his name was "LT" or something. The 4 backing vocalists struggled to handle some of those Temptations song though; they were some young cats Ashford was giving a chance to shine.

All in all, a good day, nice to spend time with the old lady and run into old friends.