Dick Cheese appreciation

BelgianWaffleBelgianWaffle 288 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
not the smelly stuff; the singer with the Lounge against the Machine [/b]band.I'm not kidding... I just heard some of their songs for the first time - Beck's Loser, Sir Mix-A-Lot's Baby's Got Back, Nine Inch Nails' Closer etc.... done in lounge style.This shit's genius - like that SNL skit with Will Ferrel singing like Robert Goulet.Anyone heard this? There are, at least, 3 albums (anyone know if they are on vinyl??!!)Dizzy, this should be right up your alley... what do you think??Funny shit, imo - the Weird Al of the new Millennium(?)

Comments

• PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
    yeah its great stuff have you heard 'gin & juice' thats a goodie, my fave is 'one step closer' I also love 'hey ya' and 'beat it' oh shit they are all good 'down this the sickness' is one of the best too. They are funny but also pretty damn good I love the guy. He plays in Vegas sometimes. Don't think his stuff is on wax.

• Dizzy, this should be right up your alley... what do you think??

Funny shit, imo - the Weird Al of the new Millennium(?)

I hadn't thought of it like that (the wierd al part i mean).

Funny, for some reason I thought my name would be mentioned in this thread

I'm kinda wishy washy on the richard cheese thing.... Its funny, but at the same time, its the same joke over and over again. I mean, how many times can you do lounge covers of pop songs and its still funny? Then again, on a deeper note, as pop music keeps repeating itselt over and over, maybe the best way to parody it is by doing the same thing to it over and over. And when you do a lounge cover of a faux-angst ridden rap rock song, you basically expose it for how cheesy it is.

Long/short. I doubt I would ever buy a CD. But when I hear it on the radio it does make me laugh. For a little bit, anyways, and then I might change the channel.

Also, as far as lounge singing/orchestration goes, he's not actually that bad...

• oh yeah, they got some breaks too! - definitely give the drummer some on some tracks

• anyone with some mp3s?

• short of uploading something to yousendit, check out this link:

I'd like a Virgin sampler

• Funny, for some reason I thought my name would be mentioned in this thread

man, for some weird reason - I can't get out of my mind that you're actually Cheese's alter ego! - maybe it was that mp3 of you singin, or welkshake (have you hear Cheese's version)

Granted, I just heard this for the first time today, but I actually like those song, musically - not just because they're parodies.

• speaking of crazy lounge acts; anybody heard this:

dope versions of Crazy Train and Enter Sandman

• NutsNuts 44 Posts
    You also have Mambo Kurt

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    pizzicato 5 and the cardigans early stuff rules

• This older, kind of eccentricly peculiar man who was deep onto rag time music (at my old job was always hyping up the Lounge Against the Machine. He never mentioned dude's name was Dick Cheese though. He saw them in Vegas and SF a couple times and thought it pure genius. He invited me out to see them with him, but the whole experience just sounded too uncomfortably bananas for me, so I turned it down.

Mistake?