SPACE HEATER ADVICE (FMAO-R)

chungtechchungtech 290 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
Just walked across the street and (practically) got frostbite!b, 21Mind you, I'm in Oakland and a westcoast weather wimp. Somehow, east coast cold is more acceptable for my brain.b, 21b, 21Today is the day though, no more no more! I gonna go to Target and get me a space heater. Heater qualifications: b, 21b, 21compact for apartamento livingb, 21something that blows hot airb, 21not too loudb, 21xexxy-looking is goodb, 21not one of those thermal heat pan thingsb, 21under $75b, 21b, 21Last year I had some Lasko rotating ceramic heater things that had some sort of pedestal design- twas cool until it just stopped working in less than one winter season, which turned out to be a waste of $$. I think it had a faulty internal thermometer or something and it kept shutting itself off after 10 seconds. b, 21b, 21WHAT'S GOOD?!!

Comments

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21something that blows hot air
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21you've come to the wright message board.

• After almost freezing to death in my apartment last night, this morning I bought two of these at Home Depot:b, 21b, 21img src="http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/4c/4cca1640-2d65-4020-8dfe-887b89581f73_400.jpg"1b, 21b, 21LASKO Ceramic Tower Heater with LED Display Remote Control b, 21and Easy-to-Read Digital Thermostatb, 21Model 5572 - $69.00/Eachb, 21b, 21I bought two of the last three available in the store, and even those were opened and had the remote controls stolen, but I don't care. They're toasty, oscillate, and are VERY quiet. I'm doing a lot better today.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Last year I had some Lasko rotating ceramic heater things that had some sort of pedestal design- twas cool until it just stopped working in less than one winter season, which turned out to be a waste of $$. I think it had a faulty internal thermometer or something and it kept shutting itself off after 10 seconds.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Oh sorry I think I just recommended this, my bad

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    You both live in Cali, sac up and suck it up.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21You both live in Cali, sac up and suck it up.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Word. Stop being little girls. Try living in Minnesota for a winter. I am also looking for a space heater though (no heat in room r.)

• sweatercize!

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21You both live in Cali, sac up and suck it up.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Word. Stop being little girls. Try living in Minnesota for a winter. I am also looking for a space heater though (no heat in room r.)
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21WHY WOULD I (ANYONE) WANT TO LIVE IN MINNESOTA IN THE WINTER?!?!b, 21I actually really do want to visit Minnesota (want to see MCAD & Walker Art Center)...b, 21b, 21Soulmarcosa- good call on Home Depot, I'll try going there, and who knows, I may end up getting another Lasko, but a diff model than last time!

I got a Delonghi, it works ok. Can't use it now cuz of my lease tho (weak).

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    If you really want to blast heat, steer away from the ceramics. They are safer and digital an convenient and all, but most other heating methods are more efficient (oil filled, heating elements, etc.)

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I got a Delonghi, it works ok. Can't use it now cuz of my lease tho (weak).
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21thats fucced up, did it say expressly you can't blast a space heater?b, 21b, 21I'm not sure but I think my space heater is blowing fuses in the house. any way to protect against stuff like this?b, 21b, 21I'm skinny and chihuahua-like

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I got a Delonghi, it works ok. Can't use it now cuz of my lease tho (weak).
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21thats fucced up, did it say expressly you can't blast a space heater?
    b, 21
    b, 21I'm not sure but I think my space heater is blowing fuses in the house. any way to protect against stuff like this?
    b, 21
    b, 21I'm skinny and chihuahua-like
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21They're prone to blow fuses when your crib runs on fuses. Turn off some stuff working on the same circuit when you wanna run it or get a circuit breaker. Always plug it into a surge protector.b, 21b, 21Its forbidden in my lease cuz the landlord pays for electric so he wants to skimp. I got hot water baseboard, but I don't really wanna use it heavily.

• I have a ceramic space heater made by A HREF="http://www.holmesproducts.com/"1 Holmes /A> and I absolutely love it. I've had it for about 5-6 years now and it still works great. It's got three heat level settings, but my favorite feature is the thermostat. Once the room gets heated to the level you like you can set the thermostat to keep the temp at that level. Maybe a ceramic heater won't fend off an arctic chill like in Minnesota in January, but otherwise I think ceramics are fine. I certainly feel a hell of a lot safer with a ceramic around than those old school ones from my childhood that had the red-hot glowing elements! This ceramic one doesn't even get hot to the touch but still warms my room up plenty good. It's been a godsend the past couple weeks with sub-freezing temps.

• unityunity 179 Posts
    don't buy any. fire hazard!

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21They're prone to blow fuses when your crib runs on fuses. Turn off some stuff working on the same circuit when you wanna run it or get a circuit breaker. Always plug it into a surge protector.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Even my ceramic one tripped the circuit breaker after 30 minutes. Whoops

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I know you said no heat pan things, but I've got one of those heat dish joints from Costco. it's pretty directional, but in a small room it works nicely. if it moves at all it lets out this loud buzzing sound to wake you up. I call it the Death Star because it resembles the massive gun on the titular space station. b, 21b, 21I like it because it's light and easy to move around the house. When it's rocking, however, the whole dish part turns orange. If that sort of thing keeps you awake, then it's NAGL. Otherwise, free night light!

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    get one of the newer Micathermic joints, my boy just got one for his shop and he loves it.

• i have one of those oscillating dish space heaters and i love it. b, 21b, 21img src="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WBJVE273L._SL500_AA280_.jpg"1b, 21b, 21positives b, 21- no fan, no noise. it's virtually silent, so it's perfect for watching movies and listening to music. b, 21- really effective heat. it gets really hot like having an electric fireplace in your roomb, 21b, 21negativeb, 21they are really f*cking brightb, 21img src="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/415EQ55AYEL._SL500_AA280_.jpg"1