WORLD OF BEATS RECORDINGS IS OFFICIALLY ON!

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited July 2005 in Announcements

Yes, finally we are in business officially! WORLD OF BEATS RECORDINGS[/b] is now in effect, with the release of the debut record by G.U.N, "The Greedy Ultimate E.P." (which you may have heard and heard about previously on Soulstrut). We have the E.P. available on vinyl and cd, PLUS there is a limited edition promo-only G.U.N / 9th Wonder mixtape as well (which is so crazy to me right now... please excuse my biased hyping of this mixtape, I just can't help it!).

Some of y'all may remember my lament about the quality of the vinyl pressing- well, they recut the thing and the 2nd test pressing sounded a little better, but still... they didn't do a great job with the sound of the vinyl, for whatever reason. At the time I was dealing with the passing of my Grandmother and couldn't really be bothered with making sure this sh*t was 100% right, so it just is what it is. It's loud as f**k, though, I'll say that much! I'll just chalk it up as a learning experience. The good news is, one, the packaging looks great! (thanks to the incredible Tsega Dinka and Mike Davis... you may have heard of them, they're really good) Two, there will almost definitely only be 1,000 copies of this vinyl pressed up, so it will be an instant raer that may one day be worth hundreds and hundreds of dollars! (damn, what a way to try to sell your record!) The cds sound good to these lo-fi loving ears, though.

As I've stated previously, I will be giving these out free of charge to all my peeps (this means YOU) who are interested, until the little batch of promos I've set aside is all gone. Just PM me or better yet hit me at [email]soulman@worldofbeats.com[/email] and let me know if you prefer cd or vinyl. If you wish to donate a small amount of dough to help cover my costs you can Paypal it to [email]soulman@worldofbeats.com[/email] but don't feel obligated at all. (Those who have already let me know they want to be hooked up, your package is already in the mail or will be this week.)

This G.U.N record is the first thing we're putting out to "test the waters", but we're planning a lot more. I'm gonna be putting out a few more mixtapes very soon (you knew I couldn't totally retire from that, right?) Stroman Fresh Baked Classics. Modern soul, hip hop, of course all kinds of raers as well as not-so-raers, etc. I'm also looking at putting out the unreleased album by my long lost cousin Otis Goodwin- some of y'all funk 45 and northern soul dudes probably know about the "I Just Feel It a Little Bit" / "Sometimes" 45 on my father's Jazz Records label. Well, they cut an entire album when they did that 45 and my father still has the tapes, so we're gonna see if we can put it out.
There will be another 1988-era Phill Most Chill 12" to follow up the success of the "On Tempo Jack" reissue, plus either a whole album or an EP if this next 12" is well received. Also we're looking at another G.U.N mixtape and 12" later this year, then hopefully a full album by early 2006.
And last but not least... WILLIE EVANS JR. He's sent me about 6 songs so far, and IMO the sh*t is mind numbing. I think a lot of people are gonna lose their minds over my man Willie Ev.

Anyway, thanks to all my soulstrut fam who have supported, shouted out, given respect, criticized constructively, etc... it's all love! Hit me up asap for those freebies- it's about to go down, kid! (Also anybody who's trying to do biz in whatever way, just get at me and we'll talk.)

Comments

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    email sent. shit looks amazing.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Phil,

Good luck on your new endeavor.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    "yo I'm from Africa" - boy, you're just a faker / name one city- "uhhh... Jamaica"

"WRONG!... and I thinks thats a shame, an Afrikan look with an American name..."

Yo that was a good album...

Its good to see this thing finally take some wings, its been a long time in the making.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Almost forgot to mention, and this is VERY important- if you're outside of the US or Canada, you will pretty much have to drop a donation somewhere in the $10 range to help cover postage if you want vinyl, otherwise I will go broke in no time flat. Drop me a line and we'll discuss it if need be, 'cause I would like for everybody (or at least as many as possible) to get the freebies if we can make it happen. Thanks!

Its good to see this thing finally take some wings, its been a long time in the making.

Thanks, Ray... we gon' try to make it do what it do! It's inevitable that we will have some stumbles as we get this all figured out (as already evidenced by this vinyl-sound-quality thing I'm dealing with on the 1st release), but as long as I'm not hemmoraging money and jeopardizing my kids' futures, I'm gonna push it along and try to get it poppulatin'. Definitely just trying to get my own little niche in the market right now, and we'll see where it goes from here.

• the incredible Tsega Dinka and Mike Davis... you may have heard of them, they're really good

THEY AIIIIIGHT.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    ps. awsome logo.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Phill,

Congratulations on this hommie. So good to finally see it take form after all the work and time you've put into it. I can't wait to hear it. I'll hit you via pm regarding my address etc.

UPDATE:

WHEW! Y'all came out in full force for the free sh*t, huh? Well, as said from the gate, I'm gonna try to lace URRRRBODY if at all possible. But supplies are running low on the allotted promo vinyl, so if ya haven't done so yet and you want a copy, holla at the kid with your mailing addy and state your preferred musical orientation, vinyl or cd. Special shout to all money donaters- y'all are saving me more dough than Geico. Maybe I won't go broke after all!

DJ's- I almost forgot, if you are doing radio and would like a clean version of the G.U.N EP on cd-r, I will be flippin' words backwards this weekend prolly and will have clean cd-r's by Monday, so again, HOLLA AT THE KID.

And lastly, if anybody's gonna be hitting their local music stores this weekend to cop that Slim Thugga or whatever else is floatin' your boat right now, do ya boy a fave and ask for the new G.U.N record if you can. Even if you ain't really interested in the sh*t, ask for it anyway! The distro will be sending out one-sheets to shops next week and if some people are asking for it there's a better chance that the store will be intersted in carrying a few copies. We doin' this guerilla style, baby! Thanks for the support.

Have a great weekend, and as the legendary AP might put it... "SHRED ON".

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

And lastly, if anybody's gonna be hitting their local music stores this weekend to cop that Slim Thugga or whatever else is floatin' your boat right now, do ya boy a fave and ask for the new G.U.N record if you can.

already been done homie! good looks for all.

Just to let y'all know, the promos are officially done, so I won't be able to take any more requests. For the majority of you who have requested promos, your package is already in the mail. For those who I haven't mailed anything out to yet, I will try to see to it that you get something, if only the G.U.N / 9th Wonder mixtape (which ain't a bad consolation prize IMO). Everybody who made a donation will DEFINITELY get at least one copy of everything, even if I have to dip into my personal stash to make sure of it.

Let me once again thank everyone who wished us well on this project, all the people who supported by throwing some change at us, and everybody who requested to be hooked up- just because it's free don't mean that you have to want the shit! So thanks for wanting the shit. Hope you enjoy it, and if you do, tell a friend to tell a friend. Good lookin'!

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    how much will this one be in the stores? i hope it reaches sweden! you should maybe try contacting recordmania, are you handling the distribution yourself?

how much will this one be in the stores? i hope it reaches sweden! you should maybe try contacting recordmania, are you handling the distribution yourself?

As of right now Traffic Entertainment is handling the distribution. They hit a lot of spots overseas, so if recordmania deals with a lot of underground US hip hop then it'll probably be there. The next time you go there you should ask about the G.U.N record, so that if and when they get the one sheet from Traffic they'll be more interested in ordering. I'll definitely see what I can do, though- we want to conquer that Swedish market, no doubt!

If all else fails you will be able to order the record online- more details to come. Thanks for the interest!

I'm thinking of taking my extra cd copy to Aron's Records...does Traffic deal with a lot of West Coast shops?

I'm thinking of taking my extra cd copy to Aron's Records...does Traffic deal with a lot of West Coast shops?

Most def... Traffic deals with spots all over the globe. I think most of your main spots that cater to the underground hip hop crowd get stuff from Traffic.

Ok...consider it done.