The Fruit Stand

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited July 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
There's a small fruit stand across the street from my work. I've been heading over there around 11 for the past couple days to get out for a bit and keep some fruit in my life instead of all the synthetic sugars that I usually eat. Today I took a risk on something that looked terrible, but tastes incredible! Anybody familiar with Pluots[/b]?IMG SRC="http://www.soulstrut.com/img/scans/2005/Fruit Stand/pluot_dapple_dandy_aonea.jpg">Take a plum and an apricot and mix them together until you get the best of both worlds. Pluots are smooth skinned, like plums, while Apriums are slightly fuzzy, like apricots, but they have unique flavors and generally higher sugar levels than the standard varieties. The new fruits, which are called interspecifics, are complex hybrids of plum and apricot that are created by making several generations of crosses and selecting for desirable traits such as high sugar content. Pluot and Aprium trees were introduced first to the home garden market in 1989. Produce Pete says that the fruit is unusually sweet. "If you can get a ripe one, it's hard to stop eating them because they're so good. The flavor is fantastic." I expect they will become sought after because of their eating quality. Pluots do not have the bitterness in the skin that plums often have and Apriums have a more full-bodied flavor than an apricot.More info:The latest high-flavor stone fruit attracting oohs and aahs from consumers is the Pluot. If that sounds like a cross between a plum and an apricot it should. Geneticists call it an interspecific plum, a complex hybrid of plum and apricot. The largest volume of these hybrids is in Pluots and Plumcots. Pluots have predominantly plum parentage and resemble plums with generally smooth skin and have a plum shape. Plumcots generally have equal parentage of plum and apricot and resemble plums in shape but can have the skin of an apricot. In general, all of these hybrid varieties have an intense flavor, much like a blend of fruit juices where the mixture of taste is an improvement over any of the separate ingredients. Additionally, the sugar content of these varieties is much higher than in standard plums or apricots, yielding fruit of incomparable sweetness. From time to time, when all conditions are just right, nature can produce truly unique treasures. Such is the case with Pluots, with a sweet and savory blend of plum and apricot flavor.HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!What kind of fruit have you been eating this summer and what is/has been your favorite?

Comments

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

What kind of fruit have you been eating this summer and what is/has been your favorite?

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    What kind of fruit have you been eating this summer and what is/has been your favorite?

lychees $0.99 - 1.99 lb
    logans - $5.99 lb

grand mart rocks the 7 corners !

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

lychees $0.99 - 1.99 lb

these and mangoes. perfect for humid, chicago summers

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    There's a small fruit stand across the street from my work. I've been heading over there around 11 for the past couple days to get out for a bit and keep some fruit in my life instead of all the synthetic sugars that I usually eat. Today I took a risk on something that looked terrible, but tastes incredible!

Anybody familiar with Pluots[/b]?

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

DUDE!!! Pluots are the SHIT!!! I got some of those at the farmers market at my work last month and I'm hooked. They're gonna be here next week and I'm buying a bunch.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I'm not sure about all this GM fruit...

• elstar

jonagold

royal gala

nectarine

prunes

blackberries

red berries

I lurve me some fruit!

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    mmm froot raers.

watermelon for me, the summer classic...and mangos and star fruit...

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    Anyone ever had Pineapple Salsa...that ish is bomb..plus I've been eatin Kiwis as of late

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Hell yeah, Jonagolds are so good. Can't seem to find them here though, so I settle for Golden Delisc.

More fruit

More fruit

G-mart also had the hook up with ??

in JA they call them gnapes but g-mart called them "macow" or something

bizarre fruit

who else likes soursop (can't find), ackee (can't find) ??

& durian (rocking the 7 corners !!) ?!?

• those are poisonous dude

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    oh, my favorite topic! i love red berries. mangos are cool too. bestest fruit are papayas though. tnashis are good too (mixture of apple and pear).

there are tons of exotic fruits that i'd love to eat. like durian (stinks so bad that it's forbidden to carry them around in public in asia- still supposed to taste great), jackfruit, kiwano and there's another fruit that I'd like to eat, but I forgot its name. Rare and expensive. from asia. Yes, raer fruits plaese.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

those are poisonous dude

no way. none of the red berries is poisonous. Some taste bad though.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    hi drew-

i've been eating grapes.

grape are gr8.

you can grab one or two or grab a bunch.

the perfect driving snack.

delicious and round.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Hi Ari!

delicious and round.

Usually my preference for ladies, but I guess it applies to grapes too.

Long-live the hybrid fruit!

fruits that i'd love to eat. like durian (stinks so bad that it's forbidden to carry them around in public in asia- still supposed to taste great)

fi true,
    i love that stinky stuff
    over at the eden center i have to fight to get my durian bubble tea or durian bun
    i guess a few locals flipped out on the taste (like a sweeter soursop or jackfruit) or smell (like something very bad died + rotted)
    now my whole family is down with durian
    one day i'm going buy i whole one
    +

who else loves the durian

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

those are poisonous dude

no way. none of the red berries is poisonous. Some taste bad though.

the currants in the picture should be rives rubrum. not poisonous.

What are red berries though. I can't find a translation for red berries. Are they currants?

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    fruits that i'd love to eat. like durian (stinks so bad that it's forbidden to carry them around in public in asia- still supposed to taste great)

fi true,
    i love that stinky stuff
    over at the eden center i have to fight to get my durian bubble tea or durian bun
    i guess a few locals flipped out on the taste (like a sweeter soursop or jackfruit) or smell (like something very bad died + rotted)
    now my whole family is down with durian
    one day i'm going buy i whole one
    +

who else loves the durian

They're banned from airlines and hotels in most parts of SE Asia owin' to the less-than-intoxicatin' (read: pleasin') smell -> creamy, custard-like texture - the taste is what you've described above... And makes for a lethal weapon before bein' opened given the spiky exterior...

• cHillercHiller 293 Posts
    Damn i want some fruit now!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

oh, u got horny upon hearing about the stinky fruit?

papayas are best!

• cHillercHiller 293 Posts
    Nah, i meant fruit in general.
    It's not that often that i find them in my students kitchen...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Nah, i meant fruit in general.
    It's not that often that i find them in my students kitchen...

son: better buy those fruits often. i know about college life, but never keep those fruits out of your life. and don't you think that vitamin tablets will do the job...

• For some reason ackee is illegal to import to the states, I believe. I like Fuji apples and white nectarines. Concord grapes. I just had watermelon yesterday for the first time in years. I don't know why I hadn't had it in so fucking long.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    For some reason ackee is illegal to import to the states, I believe.

Don't know if the importation of ackee into the U.S. is legal or not, but ackee that isn't ripe is poisonous - no joke - that sh*t will land you in a hospital if not under some soil...

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Pink Lady Apples i am eating one right now.

• edubedub 715 Posts

oh, u got horny upon hearing about the stinky fruit?

papayas are best!

Papaya w/ some fresh lime juice sqeezed over it, and chilli pepper sprinkled on top =

- also works well with Mangos, but my GF is allergic to Mangos ( )

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    For some reason ackee is illegal to import to the states, I believe. I like Fuji apples and white nectarines. Concord grapes. I just had watermelon yesterday for the first time in years. I don't know why I hadn't had it in so fucking long.

ackees are no longer illegal to import... you can get them in groceries in Brooklyn.

A winter trip to Costa Rica reminded me how much fresh fruit was missing, so now I'm eating plenty of:

Pineapples

Coconuts... but you have to distinguish:
    mature ones for the meat, young thai ones for the drink (no ayo)

apricots are in season

Last week I was in chinatown and I bought two pounds of lychees... they were gone in less than three days...

My friend Jen is just finishing a PIE COOKBOOK which will be out next year... So serious about fruit

• Anyone tried Ugly Fruit?
    Saw them at the local Gristedes and was tempted but not really. Someone told me they're good.

My employer supplies free fruit everyday. Usually apples or oranges, sometimes bananas, pears, clementines, and if there are peaches, you better be quick!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I just bought a box of peaches yesterday, they're super juicy/sweet right now. Prime season so get it at frogs....

One exotic fruit that is rarely mentioned and hard to get are mangosteens. Man I want some mangosteens right aboot noooo.....

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    I just bought a box of peaches yesterday, they're super juicy/sweet right now. Prime season so get it at frogs....

One exotic fruit that is rarely mentioned and hard to get are mangosteens. Man I want some mangosteens right aboot noooo.....

Whoo that looks dope! Are they regional...I have never heard of them