computer geeks, help required

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
I keep getting these microsoft explorer popups even though 95% of the time i use firefox. I've only used explorer when for some reason i wouldn't get sound for videos while firefox was open. this is obviously some spyware sheit right? well i've scanned my comp and used spybot with the updated files and all. any recommendations? its ridiculous im using fusking firefox and im getting explorer popup ads!! img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/f-u.gif" alt=""1/1

Comments

• What's an explorer popup ad?b,121 Options > Content > make sure the pop-block option is checked.

• alienNDN,b,121b,121Start|Run, Type 'msconfig'. Click the start up tab. Streach out the command column so you can see the name of each system process being loaded.b,121b,121Open Firefox and search for each process via google. You will probably find adware or malware here.b,121b,121If you find a process that shouldn't be there open Control Panel and see if it is in the list and uninstall. If it isn't search for instructions on how to uninstall (use reputable sites like Symantec and McAfee).b,121b,121If that doesn't find it, post back up and I will see if I can find something else to look for.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    saracenus, thanks for the suggestion, i tried that exact thing, and the processes seem legitimate. i can't think of what else i could do.b,121b,121dj arcadian, what i was trying to say was although im just using the firefox browser, every once and a while a pop up ad will come up which is opened in an explorer browswer, which is odd as hell seeing as how i dont even have the explorer browser open when it happens. i also used the disable popups option in explorer.

• I use a Firefox add-on called No-Script which stops all scripts on web pages unless you specifically allow them. I think this would probably stop your pop-ups if they are in fact caused by the browser and not a virus.

i dont think im understanding u right, you are saying u are using a firefox add-on which prevents pop-ups from appearing within firefox? my problem is that pop ups are occuring through my explorer browser, even though im not using it.

• Do the pop-ups only appear when you are using a web browser (aka firefox)? If so, then this add-on might help. If the pop-ups appear when you are not using a web browser then you probably have a virus or some other computer infection.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Adblock and NoScript are great against protecting yourself from malicious websites.b,121b,121You should definitely get Adblock. b, 21NoScript can be a little intrusive, but it's useful if you intend to visit the dodgier parts of the internet. Warez / Download sites etc. b,121b,121Maybe get a firewall like Zone Alarmb,121b,121Or better virus software.b,121b,121b,121You've tested using antivirus and spyware programs and nothing gets flagged?b,121b,121b,121If you're going to google 'system processes', to check what 's what, sometimes malware/virus will have the same name as a legit windows app. but it will be in the wrong folder, so you may need to check that aswell. But a google search should tell you this also.b,121b,121b,121You could try this online scan - a href="http://housecall.trendmicro.com/" target="_blank"1http://housecall.trendmicro.com//a1

• Have you tried using Ad Aware?? That worked for me when Spybot failed.

• alieNDN,b, 21b, 21Do you have the firefox add on "IE Tab" installed? Look under Tools|Add-ons under the Extentions tab. If you have it remove it and see if the pop ups continue to show up.b,121b,121If they stop, then you will need to make sure your IE security settings are not set too low.b,121b,121I am going to bet there is an Adware/Malware program hiding on your drive if you kill IE Tab add-on and the windows still pop.b,121b,121Also, have you tried just tooling around in IE to see if the pop-ups come out in that as well?b,121b,121A couple of quick questions:b,121b,1211) What version of XP are you using? Home or Pro? Or, gawds help you is this Vista...b,121b,1212) What Service Pack is installed.b,121b,1213) Did you install the .NET updates. Some of the early ones had a habit of popping ads that were corrected in later updates.b,121b,1214) What firewall program are you using? There is usually a list of programs that have been given permission to go out on the internet. Check that list to make sure there isn't something that his not on the process list from my previous post.

hey dudes appreciate all the responses, and i will take them into consideration (of course im going to change things one by one so i can determine what is the cause).b, 21b, 21Snapping thus far, the pop ups have generally occured when i have firefox(browser active) the problem is however when ever my computer is on, i practically am browesing the net lol. but i see what you're saying, there can be scripts or something triggering other stuff.b, 21b, 21moke i use a virus scanner and spybot and nothing was detected, maybe this problem is really new? but i'l look into adblockb, 21b, 21saracenus, funny u mention the "IE Tab thing". i dont haven anything called IE Tab, but i do have something called IE View which is an add on, that i've update recently (supposedly an add on that improves functionality of opening Explorer pages within Firefox...why the hell didnt i think of this earlier lol). I've just removed it and i'l continue to monitor performance.b,121b,121Thanks again guys!

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121{{SNIP}}b,121saracenus, funny u mention the "IE Tab thing". i dont haven anything called IE Tab, but i do have something called IE View which is an add on, that i've update recently (supposedly an add on that improves functionality of opening Explorer pages within Firefox...why the hell didnt i think of this earlier lol). I've just removed it and i'l continue to monitor performance.b,121b,121Thanks again guys! b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Well if it turns out to be a security flaw in IE View, try IE Tab next. I have been running it for months and have had no problems with it.b, 21b, 21a href="https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419" target="_blank"1https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419/a1b, 21b, 21And your are welcome.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    If you really want it fixed PM me. b, 21b, 21- spidey

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121If you really want it fixed PM me. b, 21b, 21- spidey b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Please share with the rest of the class. Its the only way we learn.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Sounds like it's a trojan, will keep throwing up undesired pages at random. Download and run webroot spysweeper (I think there is a free trial which is all you will need to remove it). Has worked for me.b, 21b,121Also helps to stay off dodgy "Frankie Vaughn" websites (Cockney rhyming slang-R)

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Running a spybot search and destroy, or ad-aware may find and remove the spyware/adware from your computer but it isn't going to go and fix all of the corrupt registry entries that will continue to plague you. You are better off backing up your data and starting with a fresh windows load.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Running a spybot search and destroy, or ad-aware may find and remove the spyware/adware from your computer but it isn't going to go and fix all of the corrupt registry entries that will continue to plague you. You are better off backing up your data and starting with a fresh windows load. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Whoa, whoa, whoa. Before we ask him to nuke his computer from orbit (just to be sure) lets eliminate the less destructive options first. First step is to ID the problem as we still do not know if this is a Trojan or not. Even if it is a virus issue, not all Trojans need a complete wipe down, a manual uninstall and running a repair install of XP should clean up the broken files and registries. Far less destructive and time consuming.b, 21b,121With that said. If it turns out to be a root kit or boot sector Trojan issue, then I agree the only way to kill it and clean out the system will be a complete wipe down and reinstall.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    You could try Hitman Pro. It will download the following freeware version of these apps, update, and scan your machine.b, 21b,121 * Eset NOD32 antivirus system (trial, expires in 30 days)b,121 * Webroot Spy Sweeper (trial, expires in 7 days)b,121 * PC tools Spyware doctor (demo, will not clean anything)b,121 * Lavasoft AdAware SE (freeware)b,121 * Safer Networking Spybot - Search & Destroy (freeware)b,121 * TrendMicro CWShredder (freeware)b,121 * JavaCool Software SpywareBlaster (freeware)b,121 * McAfee VirusScan SuperDAT (virus signature definition updates, McAfee PrimeSupport license required for qualifying product)b,121 * Ewido Micro Scanner (freeware)b,121b,121b,121a href="http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro" target="_blank"1http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro/a1